Best-Practice GUIDED READING Strategies to Maximize the Effectiveness of Your Reading Instruction (Grades K-2)
Presented by Karen Krey
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades K-2: Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Special Education Staff, Interventionists, and Administrators
- Maximize the power of guided reading using purposeful and productive strategies for dramatic reading growth in grades K-2
- Increase the learning potential in your small group, focused reading instruction and guide students using gradual release of responsibility
- Powerful research-based strategies that incorporate hands-on, minds-on learning and practice of reading skills at independent literacy centers
- Numerous classroom video segments, dozens of ideas and a resource handbook filled with strategies that require minimal preparation but ensure maximum student engagement
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This seminar will focus on significantly enhancing your guided reading program using researchbased reading practices and engagement strategies that will focus your students on the serious business of learning to read … and keep the joy of reading at the forefront. Highly experienced teacher, literacy leader, trainer and instructional reading coach, Karen Krey, will provide you with current, best practices, methods and activities guaranteed to engage and excite your students.
These ready-to-use ideas will give you a fresh framework to accelerate learning for all your students as they reach higher levels of success in their reading, comprehension, and skill application.
During this interactive seminar, Karen will share only the strategies she has used with success in her own work, including ideas for comprehension, developing vocabulary, interactive phonics appropriate to students’ individual levels, and fluency building strategies. Leave with a wealth of highly practical ideas, strategies and activities to incorporate into your reading program. If you are committed to provide the best possible literacy opportunities for each of your students, you won’t want to miss this day!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Strategies! Strategies! Strategies! At the Table and Beyond!
Innovative strategies that will accelerate levels of learning at the guided reading table and independent work stations
- Maximize the Power of Guided Reading Using Purposeful and Productive
Strategies for Dramatic Reading Growth in Grades K-2
Dozens of proven guided reading strategies to increase students’ reading achievement … Put the most current research into your guided reading practices
- Powerful Strategies for Elevating Student Engagement
Learn powerful ways to raise “time with text” and re-read with new purpose
- Elevate and Maximize the Benefits of Your Small, Focused Guided
Classroom-proven reading activities to maximize all your students’ learning potential while encouraging gradual release of responsibility
- Observe Model Experiences of Guided Reading Instruction
Learn guided reading strategies that enhance student engagement with the benefit of watching them as they are implemented in a modeling or video experience … Move from theory to practice
- Discover How to Maximize Independent Work Stations
How you can nudge and move students to working independently … Discover powerful literacy center ideas that will keep your students reading and writing the entire time
- What is Academic Discourse and How Does it Impact Students’ Reading
Learn how to get your students talking about what they read and write through the use of academic language that promotes depth of understanding and builds quality conversation
- Differentiate to Significantly Increase Reading Achievement for ALL Students
Meet your students at their level of learning and then accelerate by incorporating strategies with high-yield returns
- Maximize Teaching and Learning Opportunities at the Guided Reading Table
Build student confidence, confer to set goals, and bridge instruction across the school day
- Receive an Extensive K-2 Guided Reading Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook packed with valuable strategies and techniques … All ideas require minimal preparation and are easy to implement across any learning platform
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Significantly enhance your current guided reading instruction to increase students’ success
- Dozens of best-practice guided reading strategies to maximize the effectiveness of your K-2 guided reading program
- Specific strategies that result in increased reading fluency
- Developmentally appropriate phonics activities to strengthen decoding and word work
- Increase student self-monitoring through conferring practices at the guided reading table
- Learn unique ways to build students’ academic discourse – key to reading growth
- Powerful, practical, and concrete instructional techniques that won’t take hours to plan
- Unique and engaging ways to teach comprehension skills for fiction and nonfiction text
- Easily implemented ideas to help students respond to literature through writing
- Creative and doable ideas to engage your students in independent work stations
- Multiple ways to use motivating books to teach essential reading skills and strategies
- Innovative ideas that move students from shared reading to guided reading and independent practice
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
“A motivated teacher is an inspiring, engaging, passionate, and amazing human being!” – Ty Howard
That teacher is YOU and I can’t wait to meet you at this interactive and strategypacked day focused on raising the reading achievement of all your K-2 students! If you are looking for proven, best practices, research-based strategies and engaging techniques that will increase your students’ reading skills and keep the joy of reading at the forefront, you won’t want to miss this day with colleagues who are just like you!
During our day together, you will collect ideas and strategies to change, adapt and/or tweak your current guided reading program for dramatic results. Powerful engagement strategies, easy but effective reading tools, interactive and developmentally appropriate phonics activities, fluency-building work, academic discourse frames, and much more will all be shared.
This seminar will help clarify how you can better reach your students and accelerate their learning in small, guided reading groups while keeping the rest of your students actively practicing the work of reading in literacy centers. The day will include opportunities to reflect on your current practices, keep what works, and define next steps that are sure to re-energize you and give you new tools to take back and immediately use! All the strategies I share are practical, easy-to-implement, and classroom proven to increase the reading achievement of all your K-2 students! Let’s ramp it up, and move them forward!
P.S. You will also receive the extensive resource handbook I wrote specifically for this seminar that is filled with the ideas and strategies we will cover, along with other amazing suggestions to explore on your own!
Who Should Attend
Educators Serving Grades K-2: Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Special Education Staff, Interventionists, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Practical, ready-to-use strategies to engage your K-2 readers with hands-on, minds-on activities great for any teaching environment
- Multiple ways to easily provide support for academic discourse during guided reading and work stations
- Games, ideas and activities on copy-ready pages for immediate implementation
- Powerful before, during and after research-based activities that reinforce life-long literacy skills
- Research-based techniques to help ALL students read with confidence and competence
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in maximizing the effectiveness of their grades K-2 guided reading programs.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now