STRENGTHENING YOUR INCLUSIVE PE PROGRAM: Increasing Success and Participation for All, Including Students with Special Needs (K-8)
Presented by Barbara Meleney
Specifically Designed for General PE Teachers, Adapted PE Specialists, Special Education Teachers, Paraprofessionals Who Work with Special Needs Students, and School-Based Physical Therapists
- Practical strategies to more effectively include students with special needs into your general PE program and for adapted PE
- Proven techniques to modify equipment, activities, games, sports, and environments for students with special needs
- Engaging movement, rhythm and team-building activities that will encourage all students to participate and promote full inclusion for all your students
- Easy-to-implement ideas to improve communication with students with special needs, even those with communication challenges
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Join outstanding adapted physical educator and presenter, Barbara Meleney, for a NEW engaging and innovative seminar filled with practical PE strategies for grades K-8 PE and adapted PE teachers. In this unique and highly practical seminar, you will learn dozens of ideas to strengthen your PE instruction to include students with a variety of abilities in-person and online. Barbara has taken what works for her own PE and adapted PE programs and packed it into a day filled with effective strategies, engaging activities, creative use of equipment, including homemade options, assessment ideas, and recommended modifications and adaptations for motor skills, movement concepts, sports and activities to accommodate a wide range of student abilities. Barbara’s focus is on solutions for developing and increasing student participation, physical fitness, and motor development as well as adapting any teaching environment no matter which obstacles PE teachers face. Whether you are experienced or new to teaching PE, you will walk away with exciting and engaging strategies you can immediately implement in your own PE program.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- More Effectively Include Students with Special Needs in Your General PE Program In-Person and Online
Learn practical strategies to engage and excite all your students in physical education … Peer mentoring/partnering, grouping without tears, managing paraprofessionals, proving leadership opportunities, and more whether your PE instruction is in-person, online or in a hybrid learning environment
- Gain a Variety of Fun Fitness Activities that Include All Students
Learn how to modify fitness activities so all students will benefit … Discover interactive and engaging fitness games that allow students with special needs to participate alongside their classmates
- Increase Student Participation and Success
Learn a variety of innovative and motivating ways to increase participation and success for all students
- Learn How to Modify Any Sport or Activity for Students with Special Needs
Discover the latest techniques on how to even the playing field without changing the integrity of the game … Explore simple ways to modify sports, activities and equipment so students with special needs can activity participate in any lesson
- Boost Student Motivation with Fun Rhythm and Dance Activities
Learn innovative ways to use music and dance activities with all grades and ability levels … Discover engaging dances and rhythm activities students will love
- Acquire Innovative, Cooperative and Team-Building Activities
Discover cooperative activities and games that will engage all students as well as encourage and foster positive interaction among classmates
- Acquire Budget-Friendly Equipment Ideas to Enhance Your PE Instruction
Discover great money-saving ideas using equipment that you already have and equipment you can make or purchase at minimal cost including creative ways to use household items as equipment in distance learning environments
- Differentiate and Modify PE Instruction to Foster Greater Success for All Students
Learn a variety of proven methods that foster increased participation and guarantee greater success for all students
- Utilize the Most Effective Gross Motor Screening and Assessment Tools to Determine Eligibility for Adapted PE
Discover how to determine a student’s ability to safely and successfully participate in the general PE program … Learn which assessment tools are most appropriate for determining a student’s eligibility for adapted PE services
- Receive an Extensive Grades K-8 Physical Education Resource Handbook
You’ll leave with an extensive physical education resource handbook designed specifically for grades K-8 physical education teachers and adapted PE teachers that is packed with innovative activities and strategies to effectively include students with special needs both in-person and online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical strategies to strengthen inclusion in your K-8 physical education program in-person and online
- The difference between modified PE and specialized instruction (APE) that will help you determine who may require APE services
- Money-saving tips on how to use equipment you already have or find inexpensive options to purchase or make
- Motivating fitness activities that will accommodate all abilities
- Fun, exciting, engaging games and activities to ignite interest in all students
- Creative ways to integrate health-related topics into your PE lessons
- Easy ways to modify/adapt any PE activity or lesson to meet all students’ abilities
- Innovative ideas for incorporating cooperative and team-building activities
- Proven assessment tools you can use to evaluate students and use for IEP goals and objectives
- Strategies to improve communication with non-verbal students and students on the autism spectrum
- Disability awareness activities to promote understanding and acceptance of students with disabilities
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I believe teaching physical education is the most important as well as the most challenging job in our education system. As an adapted physical education specialist, I have experienced firsthand the many and varied challenges physical educators face each day.
As physical educators, we are responsible for meeting the unique needs of every child who enters our school building and reaching and teaching these students in a classroom environment like no other. Our students have a wide range of abilities, sometimes even significant disabilities, as well as varied levels of social and emotional maturity. Our classrooms are often large, wide open, noisy, and unpredictable which makes classroom management tough as well.
In this seminar I will show you how to manage all these challenges. Through fun and interactive games and activities, I will share my favorite strategies and techniques for creating an inclusive classroom while maintaining the safety, integrity, rigor, and fun in your lessons.
You will learn the recipe for inclusion and how to successfully implement the key ingredients for managing a diverse group of learners while ensuring they are maximally active while engaged in meaningful learning the majority of class time.
You’ll leave with numerous ideas you can use immediately. Be prepared to leave excited about strengthening your inclusive PE program.
P.S. I want to make the most of our time together and in turn help you make the most of your time with your students. During our interactive exploration of the tools needed to create a more inclusive PE program, there will be ample time to address your individual teaching challenges.
Who Should Attend
General PE Teachers, Adapted PE Specialists, Special Education Teachers, Paraprofessionals Who Work with Special Needs Students, and School-Based Physical Therapists
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Helpful tips and strategies to improve your inclusive physical education program
- Innovative equipment ideas that are inexpensive or easy to make
- Many ways to modify/adapt any sport or activity for inclusion
- Fun and engaging games/activities that foster inclusion
- Ideas for incorporating team-building activities and cooperative games
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in strengthening their inclusive PE program.
Barbara Meleney will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own PE program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now