This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
New, Innovative Strategies for Increasing Comprehensible Input in Your WORLD LANGUAGE Classroom (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Sabrina Janczak
Specifically Designed for World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators Serving Middle Schools and High Schools
- Ready-to-use ideas and powerful methods that increase comprehensible input in the target language, are authentic and meaningful … Proven ideas for in-person, online and hybrid learning environments
- New, innovative techniques to increase engagement and accelerate communicative proficiency in the target language
- Proven strategies to keep your students speaking in the target language 90+% of class time
- Practical activities to engage all of your students in the target language from day one
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Research indicates that effective language instruction must provide significant levels of meaningful communication and interactive feedback in the target language in order for students to develop language and cultural proficiency … ACTFL therefore recommends that language educators and their students use the target language as exclusively as possible (90% plus) at all levels of instruction during instructional time and, when feasible, beyond the classroom. – ACTFL Position Statement, May 2010
Do you need practical ideas to be comprehensible in the target language from the first day of class? Do you have students who do not stay in the target language? Do you have students who are not always motivated? Do you have students who need interactive activities? This engaging seminar will answer these questions with ready-to-use, low-prep activities that will help you develop a classroom atmosphere where students enjoy using their new language skills to communicate meaningful messages. You will learn to build on the characteristics of today’s post-millennial students to enhance their language learning. In this outstanding seminar, award-winning world language teacher Sabrina Janczak will share dozens of highly engaging and interactive activities designed to increase comprehensible input and accelerate your students’ use of the target language both inside and outside the classroom. Sabrina will share a wealth of practical, easy-to-prepare activities for language learning with variations for all levels.
You will leave this seminar with dozens of strategies you will be able to use immediately to accelerate your students’ use of the target language.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Lower Your Students’ Affective Filter to Promote Optimal Language Acquisition
Discover innovative techniques that promote a safe and respectful environment in which language acquisition can flourish
- Be Comprehensible in the Target Language from Day One
Discover ways to have your students understand the target language effortlessly from the first hour in your classroom
- Learn from an Award-Winning World Language Teacher
Sabrina brings years of world language teaching experience and has a deep passion for sharing what works with other world language teachers … Learn proven techniques designed to match the needs of today’s students and build their motivation for communicating in the target language
- Use Classroom-Proven Strategies to Differentiate Your Target Language
Provide scaffolding for target language acquisition through innovative techniques that match the needs and learning styles of your students
- Facilitate Language Acquisition Seamlessly
Discover innovative techniques that will more deeply engage your students in listening and acquiring the language without exhausting themselves
- Promote Interpersonal Communication
Become an expert in facilitating interpersonal communication so essential in language acquisition … Here’s how
- Get Your Students Reading in the Target Language from the First Few Weeks
Learn ways to model sustained silent reading for optimal target language acquisition
- Create a Learning Environment Where Students Love Using the
Learn proven techniques to maximize students’ use of the target language through clear expectations, established processes and structures to sustain a safe, supportive, self expressive, and resource rich environment
- Accelerate Target Language Acquisition Through Interpretive Communication
Discover easy-to-implement ways to deliver reading and listening that appeal to your students
- Receive an Extensive World Language Instruction Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive world language resource instruction handbook with ready-to-use materials specifically designed for this seminar … Receive a wealth of practical ideas, information and activities that promote use of the target language
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Numerous tips and tools to remain comprehensible in the target language
- Motivating strategies to engage your students in the target language 90+% of the time
- Dozens of low-prep, low-cost, high engagement, high impact, ready-to-go activities that encourage the sustained use of the target language
- How to more effectively differentiate your world language instruction
- Engaging target language activities you can use from the first day of class
- Proven ways to get immediate buy-in from your students
- How to create embedded readings in the target language
- Innovative ways to more deeply engage all your students, even the most reluctant language learners
- Low-prep activities that yield maximum language acquisition
- How to teach target language literature without making it sound stuffy and pretentious
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
How important is it to you that your students truly acquire the language you love teaching them? How often have you heard from adults around you that they took multiple years of a language while in school but they do not remember anything? This sad reality does not have to endlessly perpetuate itself.
I know from experience that there are strategies and techniques you can use that will guarantee that your students come back to your class after a summer off and still be able to understand and speak the language. This is my reality and it can be yours, too.
I invite you to join me at my seminar and share my experience to become part of that change. My students have excelled and continue to do so. My consistent goal has always been to instill in them the skills to effectively communicate in another language.
I would be honored to meet you and share my experiences with you. I know through our collaboration we can make a difference in the lives of our students. You will leave with numerous ideas you can use right away.
P.S. This seminar is not about theory, but will instead focus on practical ideas that I know from my years in the classroom will accelerate your students’ use of the target language.
Who Should Attend
World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators Serving Middle Schools and High Schools
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive world language digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Descriptions of all activities presented in the seminar, with variations for all levels of instruction
- Sample applications of the strategies presented at the seminar
- Specific techniques to increase student engagement
- Ready-to-use ideas to maximize student use of the target language
Share Ideas with Other World Language Teachers
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in increasing target language use in the world language classroom.
Sabrina Janczak will be available for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own world language program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.