Strengthening ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS' Engagement and Academic Achievement: Strategies that Work!
Presented by Cynthia Cardenas-Kolak
Specifically Designed for Grades K-12: EL Teachers, Classroom Teachers, Instructional Aides, Title I Staff, Interventionists, and Administrators
- Strengthen engagement and academic achievement – the best strategies to help your English Learners
- Maximize academic and conversational English through innovative, high impact instructional techniques and approaches
- The most effective EL teaching strategies to help you powerfully integrate reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills to increase student achievement
- Effective ways to challenge ELs commensurate with their varied levels of English language proficiency and your high expectations
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Are you looking for innovative ways to enhance your instruction for English Learners (ELs)? Do some of your ELs need additional support, while others need additional rigor and challenge? Do you find that while your students have so many needs, you struggle to find time for additional targeted instruction?
In this fast-paced seminar, CYNTHIA CARDENAS-KOLAK will share outstanding strategies designed to strengthen your ELs’ academic achievement as they build proficiency in English. Learn highly effective strategies that work across grades K-12 to increase students’ willingness to take calculated risks and achieve success as learners. Discover a wide variety of proven, practical strategies to ensure that your ELs are better positioned to take on new and challenging content area language, skills and knowledge.
Armed with an extensive resource handbook and an effective instructional game plan, you will leave this seminar with a renewed desire to make a difference in the lives of your English Learners.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Strengthen the Engagement and Academic Achievement of Your English Learners (ELs)
Outstanding, proven strategies that work! … Accelerate academic achievement and help your ELs get the most from your interventions and instruction
- The Most Effective EL Teaching Strategies
The best, most effective strategies for reaching and teaching your English Learners
- Increase Students’ Motivation and Academic Learning
Highly effective ways to ensure that ELs maintain high levels of engagement without losing confidence in their abilities to achieve lesson objectives … Ideas to help you optimize your instructional delivery
- Significantly Increase Academic Vocabulary and Oral Conversation
Engage your ELs in instructional conversations that will accelerate their academic language development … Increase active participation and engagement
- Maximize Reading and Writing Achievement
Sharpen ELs’ literacy skills through meaningful and relevant instructional activities, strategies and approaches … Set high expectations for all your ELs and provide them with the means to reach them
- Enhance and Expand Critical Thinking Skills
Develop higher-order thinking skills in your ELs … Discover proven strategies to tap into and challenge your students’ thinking and creativity
- Provide Vital Additional Supports Your Students Need Most
Discover a host of strategies and approaches that will help you maximize the impact of your instruction … Provide the additional supports your ELs need to rapidly learn both conversational and academic English
- Extend and Enrich Your Existing Curriculum
Simultaneously challenge your ELs and enhance their learning experiences … You need not start from scratch – discover highly effective, use-tomorrow strategies to help you powerfully extend your existing curriculum
- Instructional Planning Moves that Maximize Student Learning
Learn how you can create task-chains that support your ELs’ developmental levels of English … Differentiate and provide appropriate challenge across the spectrum – from your most struggling to your highest achieving students
- Receive an Extensive EL Resource Handbook
You will receive a resource handbook, specially designed for this seminar and filled with outstanding strategies, tips and solutions for strengthening your ELs’ engagement and academic achievement
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Innovative, high-impact strategies that increase academic achievement, motivation and time on task
- Help your English Learners (ELs) productively participate in the classroom
- Strategies to enhance the listening, speaking, writing, and reading comprehension of your ELs
- Make academic vocabulary more comprehensible – dozens of useful processes, strategies and skill-development techniques
- Practical ways to strengthen ELs’ critical thinking and understanding
- Proven, doable strategies to more fully engage your ELs
- Highly effective ways to increase achievement across the spectrum – from your most struggling to your highest achieving students
- Time-efficient, doable ways to incorporate differentiated instruction into your existing program
- Innovative ways to specifically target diverse levels of students’ readiness, interests and learning styles
- Effective ways to optimally support ELs who struggle or have learning disabilities
- Numerous visual strategies you can use to increase student learning
- Research-based, highly effective ways to build an optimal learning environment that encourages your ELs to take risks in their learning
- How to maximize key vocabulary usage to strengthen conceptual understanding and increase achievement across all subjects
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
From both my successes and challenges in working with English Learners grew my strong passion and desire to share with other teachers outstanding ways to help ELs be more successful as learners.
I’ve designed this seminar expressly to share my sharpest teaching tools for strengthening the engagement and academic achievement of ELs across varied levels of language proficiency. Whether you teach in a self-contained or in a mixed-group configuration, you’ll experience and learn highly effective and easy-to-implement strategies to reach and teach all your ELs – from your most needy to your most academically advanced students.
I look forward to enabling you to better engage your students and address their varied needs, so that everyone, including you, can reap the full benefits of the research-based strategies and methods I will present in this seminar. I know firsthand that the task of educating all students across a wide span of student preparedness and capability can be quite daunting at times. My goal is to empower both you and your ELs to not merely survive, but to thrive!
Cynthia Cardenas-Kolak, EdD
P.S. I guarantee you will leave my seminar with many outstanding strategies you can use across all content areas and grade levels to address the affective, linguistic and cognitive needs of your English Learners!
Who Should Attend
Grades K-12 Educators: EL Teachers, Classroom Teachers, Instructional Aides, Title I Staff, Interventionists, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Dozens of powerful strategies with step-by-step directions you can successfully use with your ELs
- Management and organizational tips to enhance your effectiveness
- Doable ways to adapt and enrich your lesson delivery to increase content accessibility and strengthen student learning
- Effective strategies to increase motivation and student engagement
- And much, much more!
Cynthia Cardenas-Kolak will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.