This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Significantly Increase ELL Students' Fluency in Reading, Writing and Speaking: Timesaving Strategies that Work! (Grades K-8)
Presented by Jennifer Medina
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Students in Grades K-8: ESL Teachers, Classroom Teachers Who Teach ELL Students, Title I Staff, Instructional Specialists, and Interventionists
- The most effective practices to help your ELL students read, write and speak with greater fluency to enhance their learning
- Timesaving and ready-to-use tips and methods to accelerate language growth and development to increase fluency with English
- Proven strategies to strengthen your instruction to increase academic vocabulary, grammar, comprehension, language fluency, and reading and writing achievement
- Practical strategies and tools to significantly boost the academic achievement and confidence of all your ELL students
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this highly interactive ELL seminar, you will have the opportunity to fill your ELL strategy toolkit with reading, writing, grammar, and oral language activities that will accelerate learning in your classroom. Jennifer Benedict Medina will share dozens of practical strategies and engaging hands-on lessons to address your students’ varied language levels. You will receive resources to build fluency with oral language, reading and writing along with center ideas to make learning language both fun and accessible, even in the early grades. You will also receive an extensive resource handbook full of creative and engaging activities to increase language development in your ELL students.
If you are looking for timesaving, high interest, effective, and easily implemented strategies to engage and accelerate language learning for your ELL students, this seminar is for you!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Best, Timesaving ELL Practices to Accelerate Fluency in Speaking, Grammar,
Reading and Writing
Utilize practical, easy-to-implement strategies to maximize learning for your ELL students … Ready to use with all levels of language learners
- Targeted Interventions for ELL Students
Develop language proficiency by addressing specific skills through targeted interventions … Interventions that work for all levels of ELL students
- Get Your ELL Students Talking! Increase Oral Language and Vocabulary Development
Implement simple, daily strategies into your lessons that will increase oral proficiency and vocabulary and watch them grow in their reading and writing skills too
- Incorporate Engaging Grammar-Based Centers
Learn easy ways to implement center activities that your ELL students will love … Learning grammar using authentic activities that get students participating in language can be fun – even for your youngest learners!
- Targeted, Small Group Instruction to Better Reach Specific ELL Needs
Learn how you can greatly enhance your instruction through small, targeted group instruction based on specific ELL needs … See how small group instruction is a more efficient and effective use of time
- Engage Every ELL Student in Writing
Learn writing techniques that all ELL students can be successful doing … Despite being new to the language, every student can be a writer and author in your classroom
- Utilize Children’s Literature as a Language Foundation
Use engaging books to teach reading, writing, grammar, and oral language … Numerous new and old favorites you won’t want to miss
- Practical Ideas to Manage the Diverse Language Levels and Academic Needs in Your Classroom
Discover innovative ways to address the language needs of newcomers to proficient language learners … Strategies to help you work smarter, not harder
- Create Student and Classroom Books
Increase literacy in the classroom and at home by creating student-written books to build libraries in the classroom and at home … Watch fluency in reading grow with student-created books
- Receive an Extensive ELL Instruction Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive a comprehensive ELL resource handbook full of ideas, strategies, lessons, and useful resources you can immediately use in your classroom
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Timesaving strategies for your existing ELL instructional toolbox with a focus on building students’ fluency in reading, writing and speaking
- Tools for addressing multiple language and academic levels in the classroom
- How to use quality children’s literature to develop reading, writing, grammar, and oral language skills
- Specific writing strategies that guide all ELL students – beginners to proficient
- Bookmaking instructions to engage the classroom author and develop home literacy skills
- Easy, everyday strategies to accelerate language development
- How to implement grammar centers
- Strategies to maximize small group targeted instruction
- Dozens of ELL strategies to implement immediately to support any student in the classroom
- Techniques to build vocabulary and oral language
- Strategies to address the socioemotional needs of immigrants and newcomers
- Strategies to create a rich learning environment that facilitates developmentally appropriate practices to support ELLs’ learning and development
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Teaching students who are new to the English language and our culture is extremely rewarding. It also brings many challenges to ensure that our second language learners are gaining access to the curriculum and learning alongside every student despite the varied educational experiences and language levels found within one classroom. It is important for every teacher to be equipped with tools and strategies that are effective, engaging and practical so both the teacher and student can feel successful. With many years of experience working with ELL students in both mainstream and ELL classrooms, I have worked to maximize language development in the classroom and minimize barriers and challenges by creating engaging, ready-to-use strategies and activities that work!
Join me for a day of hands-on activities, strategies, writing, and bookmaking. I will model how you can incorporate centers to make grammar fun and accessible. We will look at outstanding resources to build a language foundation in reading, writing, grammar, and oral language. Come ready to get inspired to make readers, writers and speakers out of your ELL students and to challenge your nearly proficient language learners.
I can’t wait to share ideas that will help you make your ELL students feel welcome in their new classrooms and communities and to share ideas that will re-energize you and your lessons. You will take home many lessons and strategies that you can use the next day.
Jennifer Benedict Medina
P.S. If you like creative, hands-on, “ready-to-use” activities that motivate second language learners, then this workshop is for you!
Who Should Attend
Educators serving students in Grades K-8: ESL Teachers, Classroom Teachers who teach ELL Students, Title I Staff, Instructional Specialists, and Interventionists
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Strategies to develop reading, writing, grammar, and oral language skills
- How to implement motivating grammar centers and activities for small group targeted instruction
- Suggestions for using children’s literature as a motivational and foundational base for language development with ELL students
- Bookmaking instructions and writing formats to make any level ELL student into a writer and author
- Easily implemented strategies for daily oral language and vocabulary development
Jennifer Benedict Medina will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.