RESTORATIVE DISCIPLINE: Decrease the Need for Traditional Discipline and Increase Instructional Minutes
Presented by Jorge Elvir
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades K-12: Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants, Program Specialists, School Improvement Teams, Discipline Committee Members, and Administrators
- The best, most current Restorative Discipline approaches for decreasing the need for traditional discipline and increasing instructional minutes in schools and classrooms
- Practical, easy-to-implement Restorative Discipline strategies for addressing students’ problematic behavior and increasing their desire to act more responsibly, respectfully and safely
- Proven Restorative Discipline practices for building a productive learning environment with quality relationships, effective interpersonal skills and highly-positive academic outcomes
- Innovative restorative techniques to help students progress socially, emotionally, behaviorally, and academically
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Have you watched in frustration as students return from exclusionary punishment, In-School Suspension (ISS) and Out of School Suspension (OSS) only to continue exhibiting the very same disruptive, off task and dangerous behaviors? Have you observed a missing link in your discipline practices: namely one that is truly successful in bringing about desired changes in behavior, while increasing instructional time?
In this outstanding seminar, JORGE ELVIR, an experienced teacher, administrator and expert on Restorative Discipline, will share numerous proactive measures designed to build healthy skills and attitudes in students while producing positive and productive relationships among students and staff. You will learn a system of Restorative Discipline practices that repair damaged relationships through reflective conversations that give students an opportunity to become aware of the harm they have caused and develop plans to make amends and move forward with a more positive attitude and behavior in the future. Armed with an extensive resource handbook and a set of powerful strategies, you will leave this seminar with renewed desire to make a marked difference in the lives of your most challenging students.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Significantly Decrease Discipline Problems While Increasing Instructional Time
Discover the most essential Restorative Discipline practices designed to effectively address student behaviors that impede the learning process … Increase instructional time, and promote accountability and equity across the entire learning community
- Decrease Disruptive Behaviors and Strengthen Students’ Social-Emotional Skills
Expand your repertoire of Restorative Discipline strategies to maximize your effectiveness in decreasing inappropriate behaviors and rewarding appropriate ones … Help students learn and develop positive social-emotional skills
- Increase Student Accountability, Responsibility and Access to the Curriculum
Learn explicit restorative strategies that dramatically decrease misbehavior and increase student accountability and responsibility … Gain practical, easy-to-implement strategies that gain back and increase valuable instructional time
- Address and Prevent Angry, Maladaptive, and Dangerous Student Behaviors
Intervene effectively with students who have a history of escalating to potentially dangerous levels … Acquire practical planning strategies for breaking past the crisis response cycle toward proactively responding to and preventing serious behaviors
- Develop a Responsive Classroom
Decrease the need for traditional discipline practices with practical restorative practices that build a classroom environment for success … Specific and practical approaches for developing a classroom focused on dignity, inclusiveness and shared responsibility
- Switch the Emphasis from Getting Even to Getting Well
Gain restorative strategies for using student mistakes in behavior as an opportunity for them to learn to focus on more positive, productive behaviors in the future
- Utilize Constructive, Restorative Alternatives to Suspension and Detention that Focus on Teaching and Learning Rather than Punishment
Learn how to create a restorative mindset that focuses on keeping, making and building peace by shifting the focus from rules to relationships
- Avoid Escalation of Power Struggles
Learn specific ways to avoid power struggles without losing respect … Practical ways to verbally respond to upset or out-of-control students that deescalate tense situations and lay the groundwork for positive outcomes
- Respond Effectively to Problematic Behavior
Master how to specifically respond to difficult, disruptive behavior without losing control of your emotions … Successfully interact with your most challenging students while keeping your dignity and each student’s dignity intact
- Receive a Valuable Restorative Discipline Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with the techniques, strategies and activities discussed in this seminar
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The most effective Restorative Discipline methods for decreasing the need for traditional discipline while increasing instructional minutes for students
- Outstanding teaching strategies that help teachers implement necessary corrective discipline without resorting to consequences that are unrelated, unreasonable or disrespectful
- Effective methods for reducing behavior referrals and discipline-related time outside of class
- Proven Restorative Discipline techniques that reduce student misbehavior
- Procedures that encourage students to become self-regulated learners, assuming increasing amounts of control over their school lives
- Preventative strategies that reduce the rates of suspension and expulsion
- A wealth of practical ideas for building positive relationships between students and educators … build trust, respect and rapport
- Strategies for increasing students’ conflict resolution skills while fostering genuine personal accountability and responsibility
- How to strengthen the climate and culture of your classroom and/or school and decrease the need for traditional disciplinary practices
- Powerful Restorative Discipline strategies that ensure social justice and equity for all students
- Approaches that move students away from punishment and along a continuum from inappropriate behavior to remorse to making amends
- Ways to respond effectively to problematic behavior to stop recurring behavior problems from occurring
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
If you are like most educators across the nation, you are increasingly becoming frustrated with persistent, challenging and disruptive student behaviors that interfere with the learning process and result in a loss of valuable instructional time. Administrators are often limited to employing a few “cookie cutter” approaches to managing student behavior that stopped being effective for most students years ago. While successful in temporarily removing the offender from the classroom environment, these unfortunately do nothing to teach students about making more positive choices in the future. Plus, these practices often result in significant additional losses in instructional time.
Traditional disciplinary practices have proven themselves to be incredibly ineffective in changing negative student behavior, time and again. But what if you could use an approach that has proven to be highly effective? One that consumes minimal time if implemented correctly? And that significantly reduces the amount of time spent writing and responding to behavior referrals, or taking disciplinary action? What if this approach could also significantly increase the instructional minutes for your students?
I appreciate your desire to experience a seminar designed to give you alternatives to traditional disciplinary practices. I have designed this seminar with Restorative Disciplinary practices as the foundation and to provide you with proven strategies that will not only help you to deal with challenging behaviors when they occur but will also help students develop the necessary skills and attitudes to minimize or eliminate many of these behaviors in the future.
I have designed this seminar to share the ideas, strategies, techniques and methods I have seen work with even the most challenging, disrespectful students.
Please join me and discover practical, easy-to-implement Restorative Discipline practices that can better enable you to successfully deal with and help challenging students in our classrooms and schools. I guarantee you will leave this seminar with many practical strategies that you can put to use in your classroom immediately to help students see themselves as able, capable, valuable and responsible. In a short amount of time, you will be telling others emphatically, “This stuff works!”
P.S. I can honestly say I don’t believe any student is unreachable when he has the appropriate tools and knowledge. Invest a day with me and together we can make a real difference in the lives of your students.
Who Should Attend
K-12 Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants, Program Specialists, School Improvement Teams, Discipline Committee Members, and Administrators
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Strategies for decreasing the need for traditional discipline and restorative practice strategies that increase student learning, growth and instructional minutes
- Effective verbal skills that decrease conflict, promote emotional and intellectual intelligence, and communicate respect and caring
- Techniques for helping students replace negative attitudes with positive ones
- Clear steps for helping students give up the victim stance and take personal responsibility for their choices and actions
Jorge Elvir will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now