101 Best Strategies to Increase the Effectiveness and Impact of Your SCHOOL LIBRARY PROGRAM (Grades K-12)
Presented by Cathy Smith
Specifically Designed for School Librarians, Media Specialists, Library Aides, Resource Teachers, and Administrators Serving Grades K-12
- 101 best strategies to increase the effectiveness and impact of your school library program … Getting your library program back on track after the disruptions resulting from COVID-19
- The latest trends to maximize and update your library space … Reclaiming space you may have lost due to social distancing requirements
- Timesaving tips that will increase your efficiency in responding to the diverse academic needs of students and school staff
- Proven methods to transition your teaching and library presence that result in greater student engagement and staff use
Practical Ideas and Strategiesto Recharge Your School Library Program in the New School Year
The role of the school library media specialist continues to evolve. Once thought of as mere "keepers of the books" or presenters of good stories, they are now called upon to be academic collaborative instructors with expertise in developing 21st Century information literacy skills. In this timely and highly practical seminar, experienced school librarian and district leader Cathy Smith will share how to use a highly effective, multi-faceted approach to librarianship.
She will provide more than 100 innovative ideas, practical strategies and resources to increase the effectiveness and impact of your school library program. Cathy will share proven ways to better advocate for your school library to increase community and family partnerships. She will share proven ways to rethink collaborative projects and update library spaces to create a more future-ready, student-centered library environment. You will leave this seminar with a plethora of practical, best practices for both the novice and the experienced librarian.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Increase the Effectiveness of Your School Library Program: Get Your Program Back on Track in the Upcoming School Year
Learn how to make your library program more engaging and an essential part of the school … Ways to get your library program back on track after the disruptions resulting from COVID-19
- Explore the Latest Trends in School Libraries – What Are They and Do You Need Them in Your Library?
Makerspaces, coding, gaming, escape rooms, 3-D printers, STEM and STEAM activities are now in many libraries … Find out if you need to invest time learning about them, and money purchasing them
- Reclaiming and Reimagining Space You May Have Lost Due to Social Distancing Requirements
It's not your grandmother's library anymore! Make changes that make your library POP in ways that are effective and inexpensive
- Utilize the Best Tech Tools that will Engage Your Students and Support Their Learning
Using technology does not have to be complicated … Learn the best apps that will meet specific educational needs of your students and teachers
- Reorganize Your Physical Presence and "Desktop" to a "Virtual" One
Students need access to various library tools when you are not available to help … Learn practical ways to reorganize library resources for easier online access by your students
- Support Your Curriculum and Teach Information Literacy Skills at All Levels
Discover powerful literature to captivate students while introducing subject-area content and information literacy skills
- Increase Interest in and Usage of Your School Library
Making your library the "hub" of the school is easier than you think! Here's how! Develop a "Culture of Reading" throughout your school
- Promote Independent Reading with Students at all Levels
We want our students to be good readers … Find ways to get them in the library and into a good book!
- Strengthen Your Students' Information Literacy Skills Using the National School Library Standards for Learners
Be sure that what you are teaching is relevant, reasonable and worth remembering by understanding the new standards from AASL
- Receive an Extensive Digital School Library Media Resource Handbook
Leave the seminar with a comprehensive digital handbook that you will refer to in the days ahead to revisit ideas presented in this seminar … These current ideas, strategies and materials will strengthen and enhance your school library program
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- 101 of the best ideas for strengthening your entire school library media program … Proven ways to reinvigorate and re-imagine your library program for the upcoming school year
- Tips to save time and energy so you are better able to work with students
- The latest trends in school library services that would be most meaningful for your students and will highly impact your students' learning
- Ways to update your library and make it more student-centered
- Proven ideas for creating a culture of reading for your school, beginning in the library
- Tips for scheduling to maximize student learning
- Examples of lessons based on National School Library Standards for Students
- Highly recommended apps and help in deciding which ones apply to your students' learning needs
- Ways to use readily available data to tell the story of your library
- How to gain greater support for your school library program
- Exemplary library policies that are inclusive, not exclusive
- Engaging methods to attract student readers
- Procedures that make daily library practices flow
- Innovative suggestions for collaborating and co-teaching online when face-to-face is not possible
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Extensive research and anecdotal records indicate that quality school library programs significantly impact student achievement. As a school librarian, co-teacher and district level library supervisor in a large, diverse school system, I know what it is like to have difficulty finding time to collaborate, plan, build a collection and meet the needs of teachers and learners. I have had the opportunity to learn, share and study best practices at every level
My goal in this seminar is to provide you with a unique opportunity to take a look at your present practices and build on your successes. Examples of outstanding lessons, project-based unit ideas, school library redesign, and the latest tech trends will be presented. Our day will be filled with useful strategies and suggestions that will enable you to rethink your current practices, expand student-centered learning and enable you to effectively reach students, teachers and the entire learning community.
More than 100 strategies, resources and tips will be presented. I look forward sharing practical ways to help you get your school library program reinvigorated and ready for the upcoming school year.
P.S. This seminar will focus on the best, most current, extremely practical and student-centered ideas that you can begin using when you return to school!
Who Should Attend
School Librarians, Media Specialists, Library Aides, Resource Teachers, and Administrators Serving Grades K-12
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital School Library Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital school library resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Creative, clear and easy-to-implement ideas getting your school library program ready for the upcoming school year
- Ideas for initiating updates of your library space that are cost-effective and eye-catching
- Information included on best practices, Future Ready Librarians, AASL National School Library Standards, ESSA, and advocacy
- Technology tools you won't want to miss
- Pointers for planning promotional events
Share with Other School Librarians
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other school librarians interested in strengthening their school library program.
Cathy Smith will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own school library program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now