Specifically Designed for K-6 District and School Leaders and Leadership Teams, Math Teachers, Math Leaders, Math Coaches, Principals, and Classroom Teachers on Leadership Teams
- Learn the key components of highly successful Guided Math models and how you can incorporate them into your current Guided Math program
- Organize your Guided Math program based on best practices of effective instruction and assessment to guide decisions for forming small, Guided Math groups
- Develop teacher expertise in Guided Math instruction to raise math achievement in your school or district whether teaching online or in-person
- Acquire dozens of instantly usable strategies, innovative tips and techniques you can use and share with your school and district teams
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Learn how to better lead your school, grade level or district math team in this strategy-packed two-day institute led by popular national presenter, Kelly Harmon. You will discover how to work with teachers to identify and implement the most effective cutting-edge, Guided Math instructional strategies to greatly increase student math achievement in grades K-6 whether teaching in-person or online. Kelly will share strategies for organizing the math block from beginning to end, as well as ideas for planning and implementing more intentional small Guided Math groups that meet the needs of all your students – from those who excel in math to those who struggle with concepts and basic skills. You will leave equipped to assist your teachers in using the top, research-based instructional strategies that will help your students learn and retain key math skills and concepts, as well as how to transfer these skills to math problem solving, all in a Guided Math format.
This is a unique opportunity to evaluate your own Guided Math program in light of current research that identifies the most effective math instructional practices and gain an in-depth look at how these practices can be applied to your classrooms, school or district. You will walk away with dozens of practical strategies and an extensive digital resource handbook to help you lead and teach your teachers.
Bring your math team to join Kelly for two, fast-paced days packed with the best strategies to increase the math achievement for all your students.
A Practical, Two-Day Institute Focused on Focused on Increasing Math Achievement Using the Guided Math Model
Plan to attend as a school or district team, a representative team member or district leader to increase the effectiveness of your Guided Math program. You will learn how to build on the success of your current online or in-person program, identify the key components that have the greatest impact on math achievement and find the specific areas you need to target for implementation and improvement. Leave equipped with a wealth of the most current, cutting-edge math instructional strategies that will help to increase all your students’ achievement in math.
Develop a Plan to Structure Your Guided Math Program for the Greatest Student Results and to Boost Teacher Expertise in Guided Math
Discover the attributes of highly successful Guided Math programs and how you can implement them in your own program, including building teacher instructional expertise. Gain dozens of practical, instructional strategies you will be able to take back to train your teachers. During the two days, you will learn how to collect and interpret specific data about your current math program and how to make specific adjustments that will lead to improved student achievement.
Two-Day Intensive Guided Math Leadership Institute
Here’s what you will learn:
- Practical strategies for making Guided Math a powerful teaching framework for all ability levels, from struggling to highly capable
- Specific strategies for organizing the math block for effective Guided Math instruction
- Realistic ways to modify and differentiate your math centers to maximize learning for each of your students
- Set math goals and targets and track student progress
- Take a close look at Guided Math groups – how long, what students should be doing and what the teacher is doing during small group time
- How you can use Guided Math to catch students before they fall behind
- Quick assessments for computational fluency and problem solving
- Use math notebooks to help students write and draw to demonstrate math concepts and vocabulary
- How to better use manipulatives to develop conceptual knowledge – what to do and how long to use them before moving to representational and abstract stages
- Set up a highly effective math learning environment including math vocabulary walls and stations for independent practice
- Develop mathematical mindsets through focused feedback, student goal setting and self-evaluation
- Create anchor charts and tools to provide multi-modality learning
- Easy and exciting ways to engage parents in math
- Use children’s literature to engage students in problem solving
- How to set up math games that involve students in strategic thinking and deepen their foundational knowledge
- Use daily number talks to help students practice computational skills and develop mental math strategies
- Effectively assess and evaluate your math learning centers to make intentional instructional decisions
- Increase students’ math skills and understanding of number sense, basic facts, computation, measurement, geometry, and problem solving
- Gain assessment strategies that will guide the forming of flexible and intentional small Guided Math groups
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Given the range of students’ mathematical skills, we must know how to balance a variety of instructional models including whole group, direct instructional strategies, as well as small group lessons and interventions to meet individual student needs. When used correctly, Guided Math allows teachers to provide the necessary differentiated instruction that leads to success for all students. The most important ingredient in a Guided Math program is a teacher who has the expertise to determine what students already know and how to build on that knowledge, as well as effective, efficient organization and set-up of a Guided Math program. Join your colleagues for two days dedicated to building teacher expertise and planning for a successful Guided Math program in your school or district.
During our two days together, some of the topics we’ll explore are:
- A wealth of highly effective, timesaving strategies to make Guided Math a more successful model in your school or district
- Outstanding ideas, ready-to-use math lessons and a variety of resources for assessing and teaching math skills and concepts in a Guided Math format
- What the rest of your students are doing while you work with small groups
- How Guided Math makes differentiation possible to better meet the needs of all your students
- Innovative, hands-on Guided Math strategies perfect for grades K-6 students
I am truly excited to offer dozens of ideas, resources, tips, and suggestions you can take back to your teachers to begin implementing immediately to enhance your Guided Math program. Please join me for two days that promise to be dynamic, fast-paced and packed with ideas to increase all your students’ achievement in mathematics.
P.S. You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook and access to Kelly’s online digital resources created specifically for this two-day institute. It is filled with all the strategies and ideas for you to take back to your school and district.
Who Should Attend
K-6 District and School Leaders and Leadership Teams, Math Teachers, Math Leaders, Math Coaches, Principals, and Classroom Teachers on Leadership Teams
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Dozens of practical Guided Math Strategies and how to use them in your own in-person or virtual classroom
- Examples of math centers you can adapt to meet your needs
- Steps for student goal setting and action planning that include the math centers or stations they need to visit
- How to collect minute-by-minute data to determine which move to take next
- How to plan for scaffolding to mastery
- Elements of effective guided and independent practice
- Planning tools for creating lessons and formative assessments
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now