This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
Optional CEUs available: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Catching Up SECOND GRADE Students Who Have Fallen Behind
Presented by Karen Krey
Specifically Designed for Second Grade Teachers, Instructional Aides, Title I Staff, Instructional Coaches, and Administrators Who Work with Second Grade Students
- Effective and engaging teaching strategies to catch up your Second Graders who have fallen behind and to get your whole class off to a great start
- Instructional techniques and model lessons to rapidly close the achievement gap, provide differentiation, and help students master key grade level academic skills
- Practical methods for assessing, managing and building your Second Graders' skills to prepare them for on-level instruction in all content areas
- Receive a digital resource handbook full of strategies and resources to help you accelerate social, emotional, and academic rates of success for your Second Graders
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Do you have Second Graders struggling with academic skills due to gaps in learning in this COVID era? Are you seeking practical ways to catch up Second Graders who've fallen behind? If so, you won't want to miss this NEW strategy-packed seminar by outstanding Second Grade teacher, Karen Krey! The focus of this live online seminar includes building an understanding of the social, emotional, and developmental foundations necessary for learning to "stick" while tailoring instruction to meet the needs of Second Grade students on a wide curve of skill levels. You will step away from this session with dozens of ideas for helping your students who have fallen behind, moving them back on track more quickly and effectively.
Join Karen for a fast-paced day packed with practical, use-tomorrow, Second Grade-tested strategies! You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook packed with dozens of practical, easy-to-implement strategies, and network with fellow educators in a relaxed and responsive online setting. Leave this session with renewed enthusiasm and a wealth of innovative ideas for supporting your Second Graders who've fallen behind.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Help Your Second Grade Students Who Have Fallen Behind to Catch Up
Get your school year off to a great start with new teaching tools to help your students who have fallen behind and accelerate the learning of all
- Shrink Your Second Grade Students' COVID Gap
Catch up your Second Grade students' skill development … Lessen the COVID gap through the implementation of developmentally age appropriate techniques
- Provide Social and Emotional Support for Second Grade Students Most Impacted by COVID
Incorporate practical strategies for supporting the social and emotional needs of Second Grade students who have suffered trauma, are anxious, or simply need a little more encouragement and understanding
- Help Your Reluctant Learners Make Strong Confident Gains
Discover the power of building personal relationships and self-awareness … Watch your learners' confidence and skills grow
- Employ Research-Based Accelerated Learning Methods for Phonological Awareness, Phonics, and Reading Skills
Learn how to accelerate reading skills acquisition through proven, motivating and fun techniques … Enhance and advance the knowledge and skills of your Second Grade students as they blossom into readers
- Incorporate Key Strategies and Methods to Accelerate Math Skills
Target instruction using engaging and fun activities and strategies that reinforce foundational math skills necessary for learning at a Second Grade level
- Identify Gaps in Your Second Grade Students' Learning and What to Do About It
Explore effective, easy-to-use assessments to help you pinpoint gaps in your students' learning … Target your instruction to help your students accelerate beginning from where they are right now
- Keep Your Second Grade Students Engaged and Actively Participating
Explore practical strategies and teacher-friendly ideas to engage your Second Grade students and to get and keep them actively participating in your lessons and learning
- Make Thinking Visible to Accelerate Second Grade Students' Academic Learning
Promote engagement, understanding, and independence by incorporating thinking routines
- Receive an Extensive Digital Second Grade Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive a comprehensive Second Grade digital resource handbook full of ideas, strategies, lessons, and useful resources you can immediately use in your instruction
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Innovative, instructional strategies to get your school year off to a great start and catch up your Second Graders
- Ensure student engagement through strategies designed to increase voice and choice
- Ways to scaffold and differentiate your instruction to best meet the diverse needs of your Second Grade students
- Quick formative assessments that allow you to take action quickly and close the learning gap in your Second Grade classroom
- Specific direct instruction reading and math strategies to catch up Second Grade students who have fallen behind
- Engaging, high interest and motivating thinking routines that accelerate the learning of all your Second Graders
- Proven ideas for building trusting relationships that raise student levels of confidence and achievement
- Immediately usable tools and strategies to help keep students engaged and ensure active participation in learning
- Hands-on learning activities that allow students to work at their appropriate level
- Creative ideas for differentiated teaching and learning in a Second Grade classroom
- Maximize instruction by "knowing" students in order to provide opportunities aligned with growth patterns typical of Second Grade students
- Implement student-teacher conferring to support students as they set attainable goals and work towards increased levels of achievement
- Employ social and emotional support
- Easily implemented ideas to help students practice reciprocal teaching
- Ideas, Ideas, Ideas – outstanding sample lessons, materials and techniques
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." – Maya Angelou
As educators, we are aware of the developmental, social, emotional, and academic diversity within a classroom. Due to COVID-19, the gaps have become more pronounced, making our role as teachers increasingly challenging, but also more critical. In spite of all this, we persevere, because we know we can and MUST do our part to continue to do what we do best – TEACH – to help students always remember how we "made them feel" valued and uniquely special!
The good news is that I can help you! In this information-packed, fast-paced NEW seminar, I will share with you a wealth of cutting-edge, proven information and techniques to help you catch up your students who have fallen behind. I have designed this live online seminar to share practical ideas and approaches you can use to help your students who are frustrated, reluctant, lack the stamina and motivation, or struggle to understand the instruction. I will share ways to engage your Second Graders and make learning fun. We will explore scaffolding techniques as well as ways to make the most of your small group targeted instruction.
Join me for a day packed with meaningful learning that includes practical, easy-to-implement, and classroom proven ideas to raise the achievement of your Second Grade students while also building meaningful student-teacher relationships that matter far beyond a school year. I can't wait to meet you!
P.S. You will also receive the extensive digital resource handbook I wrote specifically for this seminar that is filled with the ideas and strategies we will cover, along with other highly practical suggestions to explore on your own!
Who Should Attend
Second Grade Teachers, Instructional Aides, Title I Staff, Instructional Coaches, and Administrators Who Work with Second Grade Students
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Specific tips, tools and procedures for closing the Second Grade learning gap
- A wealth of easy-to-implement resources to target students' differentiated needs and provide intention with teacher clarity
- Opportunities to focus on age-appropriate developmental milestones and thinking routines to maximize the effectiveness of teaching and learning
- Key strategies and methods aligned to reading and math instruction that reinforce foundational skills necessary for learning at a Second Grade level
- Easy-to-use assessments to help you pinpoint gaps and target instruction
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in catching up their second grade students who have fallen behind.
Karen Krey will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.