This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
To verify if optional CEUs are available for your state: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Increasing Student Learning Using Tech Tools Ideal for Grades K-2
Presented by Alyson Rumberger
Specifically Designed for K-2 Teachers, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff and Administrators
- New and innovative instructional technology tools, as well as ways to reimagine familiar tools, all ideal for grades K-2
- Practical strategies for increasing student engagement and learning in all content areas whether teaching in-person, online, or in a blended model
- Technology resources that allow you to provide personalized feedback to your students
- Receive an extensive K-2 digital resource handbook filled with innovative ideas, activities and tutorials
Practical Ideas and Strategies
K-2 classrooms are ever-evolving and making use of technology both in-class and when teaching virtually. With so many options, how do teachers decide which tools are most effective for learning? In this seminar, Alyson Rumberger will equip you with practical, easy-to-use strategies for increasing engagement, personalizing feedback, and communicating with families through technology integration. This highly practical seminar focuses on ways to refresh and rethink the technology you already have and explores how the newest, most innovative, free or low cost technology resources can be integrated into your K-2 classroom so you can increase student learning no matter the format.
As a teacher who uses technology daily, Alyson loves sharing ways to leverage current instructional practices while incorporating 21st century skills and tools specifically designed for our youngest learners. Leave the seminar with practical ideas for enhancing engagement, creativity, and independence with your students and enhancing their learning.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Technology Tools Specifically Designed to Engage Early Learners
Tap into technology’s ability to increase student interest and engagement … Discover the best apps and tools for K-2 instruction, all free or low cost
- Increase Student Engagement and Creativity
Use digital tools such as Book Creator, Flipgrid and Adobe Spark to help K-2 students create high-interest projects for authentic audiences
- Encourage Independence During Literacy Instruction
Refresh your use of familiar technology tools … Discover how to use NEW technology tools to facilitate independent practice of key foundational literacy skills in grades K-2
- Leverage Technology to Deepen Content Learning
Increase student problem-solving and critical thinking in social studies … Strengthen science skills through the use of STEM-related apps and programmable devices such as BeeBots, BlueBots and OzoBots
- Provide Personalized Feedback and Instruction to Your Students
Explore ways to collect student data and streamline your feedback to students with easy-to-use and effective tools like Classkick and Seesaw … Easy-to-use tools for every classroom
- Increase Understanding of Areas Through Virtual Reality
Engage K-2 students in virtual reality “field trips” to bring learning to life
- Discover How Technology Can Engage Parents in Their Child’s Learning
Easily show student growth by creating and sharing student work through a curated portfolio
- Use Technology to Collaborate and Share Instructional Materials
Work smarter and not harder! Leverage technology tools to collaborate with your colleagues seamlessly and reduce your preparation time
- Use Familiar Technology Tools in New and Innovative Ways
Learn how familiar tools like BrainPOP have been updated with new features for deeper content learning, ideal for grades K-2 … Discover how to fully use these tools
- Receive an Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
You’ll receive an extensive digital resource handbook of lesson ideas, tutorials and examples from real K-2 classrooms you can use to implement new technology tools right away
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Engage students in learning across all content areas in innovative ways
- Motivate and empower students by offering choice in how to demonstrate their learning
- Receive practical strategies for integrating ed tech tools into your instruction
- Encourage creativity in your primary classroom through video tools
- Leverage technology to help strengthen the effectiveness of your small groups
- Support students in need of additional practice, review, and assistance
- Inspire students to create projects and assignments with authentic audiences in mind
- Infuse digital citizenship skills into teaching and digital conversations
- Increase engagement and independence during word work and small-group literacy lessons
- Give meaningful and personalized feedback to students instantly
- Step-by-step tutorials on how to use ed tech apps with young learners
- Easily compile digital portfolios of work to show student growth over time
- Use technology for meaningful communication with families
- Equip students with essential 21st century skills by incorporating technology standards
- Encourage problem-solving and critical thinking through programmable devices
- Streamline your professional collaboration and ability to share materials, resources and data with colleagues
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Do you want to integrate technology authentically into your teaching, but are unsure where to start? With a fast-moving and saturated market of ed tech tools, and a growing need to use technology in our instruction, it can be overwhelming to decide which tools are the most effective for grades K-2. One way that we can make these choices is by selecting technology that is accessible, engaging, and powerful for learning for young students.
As an elementary school teacher and instructional technology specialist, I have explored some of the best free and low cost tools available for grades K-2 and am ready to share them with you. I have carefully designed this seminar to support each of us as we make informed choices based on the specific needs of our K-2 students. Together, we will explore the potential of tools to engage your students and enhance their learning. You will leave this seminar ready to move forward with the support and information you need to implement these outstanding tools as soon as you return to your classroom.
The tools we will explore include those you already have access to as well as the newest, most innovative technology tools available. We will focus on practical ways to give personalized feedback to K-2 students in real time, share digital portfolios of student work with their families, and will streamline your collaboration with colleagues through tools such as Seesaw, Flipgrid, Classkick, Adobe Spark and more! In addition, we will see how easy it is to tap into our K-2 students’ creativity and stretch their critical thinking skills.
I hope you will join me for a fun and informative day to discover new tools and reimagine familiar ones. We will explore and unpack the many ways to integrate technology into your primary classroom! My goal is to leave you with a renewed excitement for how technology can enhance your classroom instruction.
P.S. Our day will include strategies and examples that you can immediately integrate into your current instruction. I can’t wait to show you!
Who Should Attend
K-2 Teachers, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Lesson ideas on how to better incorporate 21st century learning into your current instruction through the use of technology
- Practical strategies and tutorials on how to effectively introduce new technology tools to K-2 students
- Descriptions and overviews of the tools covered in the seminar, as well as additional tools to consider for specific content areas or topics
- Examples of creative projects that increase student engagement
- “How to” screenshots of apps and programs for easy reference
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in increasing grades K-2 student learning using tech tools.
Alyson Rumberger will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own technology program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.