School-Based Occupational Therapists: Using Motor Learning Development Strategies to Increase School Success (Grades P-12)
Presented by Wendi Trummert
Specifically Designed for School-Based Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants serving Preschool-Grade 12:
- Practical strategies to help your students strengthen functional fine, gross and visual motor skills and increase academic success
- Hands-on and engaging motor development activities you can apply immediately
- Improve motor learning carryover through applied integrative approaches that help students meet both Occupational Therapy and academic goals whether you are working in-person or online
- Proven strategies that strengthen collaborative teams to increase support for students on your Occupational Therapy caseload
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Specifically designed for school-based Occupational Therapists, COTAs, and OT teams, this seminar will provide you with dozens of highly practical strategies to better support students using motor development strategies to increase school success. This idea-packed seminar combines the latest research and the best Occupational Therapy practices to help your students be more successful in either a traditional or virtual setting.
In this engaging seminar, you will gain a variety of practical, usable ideas to become more effective in your school-based Occupational Therapy practice. Wendi Trummert, school-based Occupational Therapist and program developer, will share proven ideas you can immediately implement to enhance your Occupational Therapy practice.
You will leave feeling more confident and empowered to have a greater impact on the students and teachers you work with in grades Pre K-12. You will also leave this seminar with an extensive Occupational Therapy digital resource handbook.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Highly Effective Strategies to Better Integrate Motor Development and Academic Interventions
Efficient and creative ways to address fine, gross and visual motor, manipulative, movement, sensory and self-regulation issues during instructional time
- Optimize the Impact of Your Therapeutic Motor Learning Interventions
Identify new and innovative opportunities to develop attention to task, motor skills, bilateral integration and self-regulation skills for all students … Ideas you can try immediately and adapt to meet the needs of your students
- Help Students Use Motor Skills to Regulate Their Behavior and Increase Achievement
Tap into peer buddies and groups to expand disability awareness and acceptance, normalize variance of skill levels and learn effective motor development strategies to increase confidence of struggling students
- Engaging Transitions That Boost Motor Development and Overall School Success
Make every moment count with classroom transitions that build neural pathways and ready students for deeper learning
- Maximize Carryover and Significantly Increase Authentic Motor Skill Development
Increase transfer of new motor learning skills throughout the day in an integrated approach where all staff work together to create more meaningful learning experiences
- Increase the Effectiveness of Your Multi-Sensory Learning Environment
Activate your students’ brain activity centers with strategies for more dynamic learning environments
- Strengthen Your School Teams for Increased Motor Development Support
Easy ways to become a more effective resource to your school(s) and create more innovative and effective classroom or online learning environments
- Discover Engaging Activities That Reinforce Motor Development and Problem-Solving Skills
Fun and engaging small group activity ideas that will facilitate your students’ motor development and activate higher-level cognitive skills
- Learn How to Adapt Tiered Interventions for All Students
How to plan more effective interventions at the appropriate tier for each student
- Receive an Extensive Motor Learning Development Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for your role as a school-based Occupational Therapist … Leave this seminar with strategies and resources you can implement immediately
Learning Outcomes:At the end of the seminar you will be able to:
- Compare effective teaching techniques to promote motor skill development and increase school success in school and in your distance learning or home programming
- Examine ways to teach students to use motor skills and activities to regulate their behavior and increase academic achievement
- Recognize student stress and anxiety in learning situations and provide appropriate motor strategies, emotional regulation identification, accommodations and modifications
- Identify ways to inspire teachers, administrators, students, and parents to integrate your suggestions into their daily routines
- Identify a variety of delivery models and their effectiveness such as pull-out therapy, push-in treatment, collaboration to achieve Least Restrictive Environment mandates
Practical Strategies for Occupational Therapy Service Delivery:
- Identify motor learning strategies to help your most difficult students achieve daily successes at school
- Indicate methods of support for students with special needs at all levels of tiered interventions
- Explain how to teach young students who struggle to think and act in an organized way
- Review strategies to keep all students engaged in learning in your classroom and online
- Recognize practical strategies for implementing the best OT practices in your busy school setting
- Discuss how to utilize highly motivating therapy techniques to promote self-esteem, motivation and function among your most challenging students
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
In my 19 years as an Occupational Therapy practitioner, I’ve seen incredible increases in the demands of students and educators alike. As therapists, we offer a very unique perspective about how children learn. While our schools are increasing academic demands and limiting opportunities for movement, we understand that good sensory-motor development is essential for children to learn, self-regulate and behave at their highest level of ability, even if they are learning online.
There is a strong correlation between improved motor development and self-regulation skills, and the academic achievement that teachers are feeling the pressure to meet. I believe that the more fun school is, the greater students will be able to achieve. My goal for our day together is to provide you with a fresh, new way of looking at how motor development impacts school performance. This seminar is designed to put realistic, front-line solutions to common problems into the Occupational Therapists’ hands.
I promise you an engaging day filled with down-to-earth conversation and meaningful information that will help you transform your practice and bring fun back to your professional life. Most importantly though, teachers and parents alike will sing your praises as their students experience less stress and greater success as a result of your role as a school-based Occupational Therapist. Plan to leave this seminar “fired up” and ready to return to your school or distance learning program with new ideas and a new energy to deliver the most effective therapy services to your students!
I look forward to meeting you at the seminar!
Wendi Trummert, DrOT, OTR/L
P.S. As a practicing Occupational Therapist, I know just how valuable your time is. My focus will be on sharing practical strategies that you’ll be excited to implement.
Who Should Attend
School-Based Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants serving Preschool-Grade 12
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 46 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Timesaving interventions to strengthen your expertise as a school-based OT or OT assistant
- Effective, efficient, and motivating methods to make your job more manageable and effective
- Descriptions of innovative therapy strategies
- Latest research on brain development and neuroplasticity that supports your interventions
AOTA – CEUs
BER is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. Full attendance at this seminar qualifies for .5 AOTA CEUs/5 Contact Hours per day of attendance. You are required to fully attend the seminar and complete a program evaluation and a learning outcomes assessment at the end. The assignment of AOTA CEUs/Contact Hours does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. AOTA Educational level – Intermediate, AOTA Category – Occupational Therapy Service Delivery.
For a time-ordered agenda for this event – Click Here
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.