This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
To verify if optional CEUs are available for your state: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Practical Strategies to Address the Challenges of Today's SCHOOL NURSE
Presented by Sandra Moritz
Specifically Designed for School Nurses, District Nurses, School Health Services Coordinators and Other Staff Working in the School Health Office Serving Grades K?12:
- Respond with the latest information for student health concerns … New resources to address Long-COVID, frequently visiting students, and those presenting with symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Innovative strategies to stay connected to your school community … Outstanding free resources to keep you involved with students, staff and parents
- Assess common types of rashes and respond with nursing advice. Receive parent handouts for each condition to assist parents and support your evidence-based practice. Insure a smooth referral for a safe return to school
- Utilize the most up?to?date first aid protocols for eye injuries, burns, avulsions, fractures, and more … Be better prepared when a student or staff member gets hurt
Practical Ideas and Strategies
If you are looking for the current, best ideas and resources to enhance your effectiveness as a school nurse, you will not want to miss this one-day seminar. During this intensive day, outstanding school nurse, Sandra Moritz, will share dozens of proven ways to more effectively address the speed bumps of school nursing to make your practice more efficient as well as safer from hazards and liability. Sandra will share numerous personal tips and practical ideas she has gathered throughout her extensive school nursing experience that will increase your effectiveness. Research and experience-driven ideas will help you create an atmosphere that reduces the stress from the varied challenges you experience in your role as a school nurse and student health advocate. You’ll learn practical ways to more effectively address a variety of today’s school health issues including assessments, infection prevention, trauma and injuries.
You’ll leave this seminar with an extensive school nursing practice digital resource handbook as well as dozens of ideas you will be able to use immediately to enhance your practice as a school nurse.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Be Prepared for Infections of Concern
The 3 M’s (most contagious, most fatal, most common) infections and strategies to reduce them that are vital to your practice … What every school nurse needs to know
- Address Unsafe Practice Areas – Reduce Liability in Issues for Today’s School Nurse
Examine legal cases as learning tools to avoid negative outcomes
- Be Rash?Ready – A Rash May Be the First Symptom
Examine visuals of common rashes we see in students, receive Fact Sheets for the office
- Implement the Best School Nursing Ideas from Webinars, Podcasts and Online Platforms
Reach outside the “school nursing bubble” for trainings that apply to our practices
- Evaluate Injuries and Burns and Treat with the Latest First Aid Supplies
Examine products and protocols when students or staff get injured at school
- Resources to Educate about Vaping and Its Effects on Student Health
Be aware of the respiratory difficulties and educational strategies to counteract this emerging concern
- Your Life Depends on it – Self Care for the Health Professional
Critical Self Care tips for the medical expert at school – YOU!
- React to Non?Urgent Situations Commonly Experienced in the Health Office
Get current tips from recent evidence on pediculosis, Lyme disease and more to assist you in navigating these challenges
- Provide Students with a Trauma?Sensitive and Calming Space
Make over your office climate with new tools for students struggling with mental health issues
- Receive a Detailed School Nursing Practice Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will leave this seminar with an extensive school nursing digital resource handbook filled with practical strategies, techniques, activities, and resources that can be used immediately
- Practical ideas that will increase your effectiveness as a school nurse
- Cleaning and infection controls for the school health office
- What every school nurse must know to answer the question – “What is this rash”?
- The essential knowledge to identify and react quickly to infections of concern, including the 3 M’s (most fatal, contagious and serious)
- How to positively and effectively respond to rotating regulars, discern whether they are sick or not, and take effective measures
- Reduce your liability – examine what has happened in other practices – avoid social media pitfalls
- The essential principles and ABCs of burn care … View new supplies to treat burns and lessen their severity
- Effectively employ current first aid protocols in treating avulsions, fractures, and heat-related conditions
- View modeling techniques for splinting and learn serious side-effects in children after an injury at school
- How to recognize the mysterious symptoms of Lyme disease
- What’s new in equipment for the school nurse’s office … Free resources for an office redesign to refresh and update your “home away from home” space
- Practical suggestions to find your passions in school nursing and stay healthy on the job
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As school nurses, we are challenged daily in our school health offices with students and staff who have serious health concerns. As a school nurse with extensive experience in school nursing, I have had many opportunities to address a variety of school health issues. I have created this seminar to help you more effectively address these challenges and gain a new vitality as well as provide practical information for a progressive school nursing practice! School nursing is always in transition. To stay current in our role, standards of care and programs must reflect the latest information and requirements present in our jobs. I have picked topic areas that I believe are relevant, interesting and common challenges for school nurses. My love of teaching health has moved me to create fun and innovative programs that help motivate healthy behavior among students and staff.
Enjoy a day with other school nurses, learn new strategies to handle the challenges of our career and take some time to share practical ways to positively address our common issues. I look forward to sharing my expertise with you and learning of your experiences in our very unique practice of school nursing. Together we will examine the standards for a consistent and safe practice. We can only meet the needs of our students and staff if we are taking the best care of ourselves. Wellness tips to avoid common burnout of health professionals will also be presented.
Sandra Moritz, M.Ed., BS, RN, NCSN
P.S. You will receive an extensive school nursing digital resource handbook containing the above information and more!
Who Should Attend
Specifically Designed for School Nurses, District Nurses, School Health Services Coordinators and Other Staff Working in the School Health Office Serving Grades K-12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. It contains strategies, ideas and resources including documents, samples of forms and websites you can use in your school nursing practice. For in-person seminars, registrants will also receive a printed copy of the resource handbook as long as their registration is received in the BER office at least 15 calendar days before the event.
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in increasing the behavior and learning of their students.
Sandra Moritz will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Earn Nursing CEUs
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #CEP 15144, for five (5) Contact Hours for RNs and LPNs. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/nursing-ceus.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.