SCHOOL NURSES: Best Practices for Addressing Mental Health Issues in Your Schools
Presented by Vickie Beckwith
Specifically Designed for School Nurses, District Nurses and School Health Services Coordinators Serving Students in Grades K-12:
- Be better prepared for the mental health issues in your schools … What every school nurse should know about mental illness and signs of mental concerns. Explore lessons learned from COVID-19
- Recognize the vital role school nurses have in supporting the mental health and well-being of students
- Identify and destigmatize common mental health issues and learn the next steps
- Discover evidence-based models, programs and strategies for support of those involved with mental health issues
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Today, more than ever, mental health issues are surfacing with serious implications for individual students as well as the entire student body. School nurses are in a unique position to play an active role in mental wellness promotion, mental health screening and early intervention programs in the school setting.
This seminar has been developed specifically to equip you, the school nurse, with the information, resources and strategies you can use in your schools to better address mental health issues. Highly experienced school nurse and national trainer VICKIE BECKWITH will spend the day helping you prepare and plan for mental health first aid, work with students in need, and recognize symptoms and signs of depression, anxiety and other behavioral and mental health issues. She will share numerous resources, strategies, tips and practical ideas she has gathered throughout her extensive school nursing experience that will increase your knowledge and confidence in supporting students and schools facing potential mental health issues.
You will discover practical ways to communicate more effectively with students, teachers and parents. In addition, you will gain insight and strategies that will enable you to more comfortably support students with behavioral health issues.
You’ll leave this seminar with an extensive digital resource handbook as well as dozens of ideas you will be able to use immediately to enhance your practice as a school nurse in addressing the mental health issues in your schools.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- What Every School Nurse Should Know About Mental Health Issues in Schools
Build your understanding and skills to better help and assist students who may suffer from mental health issues … What school nurses can do to support students with mental and behavioral health concerns
- Mental Health First Aid: Be Better Prepared
Learn the basics of mental health first aid and the important role of the school nurse in supporting the well-being of students and staff … Tips and strategies to reduce the stigma and barriers to appropriate care
- Key Issues Impacting Student Mental Health
Gain an understanding of mental health disorders and receive resources and guidelines to build a safer environment for your students … Examine the impact of COVID 19 on student mental health and well-being
- Explore the Impact of Bullying on Students’ Mental Health
Gain tips and strategies to recognize the impact of bullying in your school … Strategies and solutions
- Evidence-Based Models and Programs
Discover evidence-based programs schools and districts are implementing to address today’s mental health concerns … Ideas you can use to develop mental well-being in your own schools
- Strategies for Depression, Anxiety and Disruptive Behaviors
Identify and support students who may experience depression and anxiety that impacts their ability to fully participate in school
- How to Deal with “Frequent Flyers” … Is it Real or Not?
Don’t let “frequent flyers” frustrate you … Learn strategies to understand the underlying reasons and identify realistic solutions
- Examine the Signs of Suicide in Students and Interventions You Can Use
What are the suicidal warning signs and risk factors … Learn effective techniques to provide therapeutic interventions
- Motivational Interviewing: An Evidence-Based Approach You Can Use
How to listen and engage with others, gain insight into student issues, facilitate change and support a student’s journey toward improved mental health … Hands-on experience and practice
- Receive a Comprehensive Digital Resource Handbook
Dozens of resources designed specifically for school nurses … You’ll leave with a comprehensive digital resource handbook
- What school nurses can do to support students with mental and behavioral health concerns – strategies and resources you can use right away
- Learn evidence-based techniques and strategies to address the ever increasing mental health issues in your schools
- Be better prepared for mental health issues that impact students’ ability to participate in school … Practical strategies, resources and information you can use to be more proactive
- Recognize the vital role nurses play in prevention and promotion of the emotional and mental well-being of students
- What school nurses can do to support students with mental and behavioral health concerns
- Mental health first aid – why and how problems develop and what you can do to help
- Examine your role in response to the escalation of violence and concerning behavior in school due to mental health issues
- How to use motivational interviewing to decrease stigma and barriers to mental health care and increase student motivation to make a change
- Strategies to understand and support depression, anxiety and disruptive behaviors
- Tips for supporting students in crisis
- Respond with greater confidence to a mental health crisis or emergency
- Up-to-date, best practices for prevention/intervention of bullying
- Learn strategies for increasing suicide prevention and getting students the help they need
- Gain insight into working with frequent visitors to the school nurse
- Build confidence in discussing sensitive issues and risky behaviors
- Develop skills to have more constructive conversations and less conflict
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Behavioral and mental health issues in school-age children are becoming increasingly common, especially during the COVID 19 pandemic. As a school nurse, you can play a key role in positively impacting the social-emotional well-being of students and reduce barriers to mental health care.
School nurses can make a huge difference! Join me in this hands-on seminar and learn why and how to respond to the mental health issues in your schools. I will share numerous strategies, techniques and resources that not only achieve better outcomes but will also reduce your stress in handling difficult situations.
I have developed this highly engaging, interactive seminar to help you be better prepared for mental health issues and concerns that occur in our schools today. I will give you tips, tools and strategies to:
- Better understand and assist students suffering from mental health concerns
- Identify the key issues impacting student mental health
- Demystify and lessen the stigma associated with mental health problems
- Deal with frequent visitors to the school nurse
- Prevent and intervene with bullying
- Address suicide
- Use Motivational Interviewing to engage with students and facilitate change
Vickie Z. Beckwith, RN, MSN, PHN
P.S. You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook covering all of these topics, and more!
Who Should Attend
School Nurses, District Nurses and School Health Services Coordinators Serving Students in Grades K-12
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 45 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Realistic and proven approaches to manage mental health issues in the school setting
- Best practices and evidence-based strategies to support social-emotional well being
- Proven strategies to facilitate positive student interactions with peers
- Prevention/treatment options for behavioral health support
- Valuable resources: websites, references, organizations
- Motivational Interviewing guidelines and resources
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other school nurses.
Vickie Beckwith will be available to answer your specific questions.
Earn Nursing CEUs
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #CEP 15144, for five (5) Contact Hours for RNs and LPNs. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/nursing-ceus.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.