School-Based SLPs: Using Dynamic Assessment and Strengths-Based Approaches to Accelerate Progress
Presented by Kelli Marshall, MS, CCC-SLP
Specifically Designed for School-Based Speech-Language Pathologists Working with Students Grades K-12
- Explore intervention strategies derived from dynamic assessments that support improved communication and social interaction across the educational environment
- Proven and proactive strategies for incorporating student strengths in order to maximize outcomes
- Step-by-step guidance, how-to ideas, and powerful tools for developing thoughtful, deliberate, research-based intervention plans
- Receive an extensive digital resource handbook full of practical strategies and tools you can immediately implement
Practical Ideas and Strategies
If you're looking for new, highly effective ways to accelerate the impact of your therapeutic interventions, then this is a seminar you won't want to miss. In this seminar, outstanding presenter and experienced school-based speech-language pathologist Kelli Marshall will equip you with practical, dynamic assessment and treatment tools using a strength-based approach to accelerate the progress of all your students. Kelli will help you develop new strategies with the goal of improving the efficiency and effectiveness of your school-based assessment and therapy. You will learn how to select targets based on students' actual needs yielding improved generalization across the child's entire learning environment in a relatively short time.
Kelli is the author of School-Based SLPs: Using Dynamic Assessment and Strengths-Based Approaches to Accelerate Progress (K-12), the extensive digital resource handbook you will receive at the seminar. You will leave with a toolbox filled with practical strategies you can implement the very next day to more effectively assess, intervene and facilitate accelerated growth in students with complex needs.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Broaden Your Scope of Practice to Include More Effective, Non-Standardized, Dynamic Assessment Techniques
Expand your toolbox of non-standardized, dynamic assessment techniques to enhance your assessment and lead to improved program planning
- Using Dynamic Assessment to Maximize Your Students' Learning
Discover how to more easily identify students' skills, build on their strengths and help them meet their learning potential … Maximize the effectiveness of the interventions designed with your students' needs in mind
- Better Understand the Differences Between Static Assessment and Dynamic Assessment
Identify which type of assessment will better serve your student … Develop a highly responsive, more impactful learning plan through the use of dynamic assessment
- Establish a Strengths-Based Educational Plan
Discover innovative ways to bridge the gap during the assessment process and establish a stronger, more meaningful strengths-based plan when therapy is recommended
- Strategies to Support Strengths-Based IEPs
Discover practical strategies to move from a deficits-based approach to a strengths-based one … Leave with actionable steps!
- Create Effective Plans and Know What to Expect at Each Phase of Implementation
Make the most of your intervention plans with practical, evidence-based, step-by-step guidance that outlines what actions to take at each phase of implementation … Gain outstanding use-tomorrow ideas
- Develop Measurable Goals for Complex Communication and Social Skills
Learn new strategies for goal development that move beyond a SMART framework … More efficiently and effectively track progress for goals that require a more innovative approach
- Enhance Your Therapy Sessions
Develop methods to effectively motivate students to actively participate and communicate throughout your therapy sessions and beyond … Maximize your use of systematic instruction, reinforcement, and visual supports to enhance your therapy sessions
- Avoid Common Mistakes and Achieve Greater Success
Learn what works and what doesn't … Avoid common mistakes that occur in assessment, goal development, and interventions and set the stage for student success
- Receive an Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar … Included are dozens of practical ideas and strategies you will be able to use immediately to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of your practice
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Strategies for getting the most out of dynamic assessments
- Key tools that build a solid foundation for strengths-based program planning
- New ways to use naturalistic observation and structured simulation activities to evaluate the communication of complex students and establish treatment programs
- Powerful, practical intervention strategies identified through dynamic assessments that best teach and reach students with developmental delays and challenging behaviors
- Updated assessment tools that maximize what SLPs need to know about complex students and how to teach the skills each student really needs
- Learning activities designed to increase the self-control, communication skills and social-emotional skills of young students with complex communication disorders
- Innovative ways to strengthen students' engagement and build upon their interests and strengths
- The keys to effective reinforcements and a framework to help you select and monitor the success of strategies across time
- Adult collaboration, communication and conflict resolution skills to help educators work together successfully with young students with complex communication disorders and challenging behaviors
- The latest evidence-based and classroom-proven approaches, visual examples of strategies, interaction with other participants, and much more
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
In my discussions with educators across the country, many often worry that students with challenging learning needs are not receiving the individualized and specific supports that they need to have a productive educational experience. As a school-based SLP, I have found that the assessment process requires an extra set of tools. These extra tools have added to my expertise when making my recommendations at the IEP table and have helped improve my outcomes for all of the students on my caseload.
My experience working in schools has helped me develop a collection of dynamic assessments and techniques that serve as my foundation as I provide services for these students. I have learned that the most critical part is developing a solid assessment process. At the heart of this assessment process is a deep interest in learning more about the current communication mode and interests of the student I am assessing. Building rapport is critical not only for the assessment process but also for any therapy plan that is developed after the IEP is completed. I am excited to help expand your therapy to include the foundational aspects and specific elements related to identifying the specific communication needs of your students and implementing effective strategies to help them not only learn in the educational environment but enjoy it as well.
Please join me for a fast-paced, productive day, focused on specific ways you can assess and serve students using dynamic assessments and a strengths-based approach to maximize learning. Prepare for an interactive day full of laughter, strategies, ideas, and solutions perfect for students of all ages. Explore visual examples from real classrooms, innovative learning activities and interventions, and much more! My goal is to provide you with an abundance of practical tools and ways to powerfully match them to the unique needs of your students and setting.
I am excited to share my new assessment ideas that move away from only focusing on standardized assessment. I will share my expertise as a school-based speech-language pathologist and educational consultant using this strengths-based approach. Please join me for an exciting day filled with ideas you can use immediately! I look forward to meeting you at the seminar!
Kelli Marshall, MS, CCC-SLP
P.S. Prepare for an interactive day! The emphasis will be on proven and practical ideas you can use immediately.
Who Should Attend
School-Based Speech-Language Pathologists Working with Students Grades K-12
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 46 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Specific, practical strategies to accelerate the progress of your students
- Resources to support gathering information and alternative assessment options
- Proven strategies for getting the most out of your students
- Detailed descriptions of the best, most effective web-based resources and other cutting-edge technology
- Apps and websites to effectively target IEP goals
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their speech-language pathology program.
Kelli Marshall will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
ASHA - CEUs
ASHA-Required Disclosure Statement for Kelli Marshall:
Presenter for the Institute for Educational Development and receives honorarium compensation.
No relevant nonfinancial relationships exist.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.