Two-Day Train‑the‑Trainer Institute:
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Science Department Heads, Team Leaders, Science Coaches, Science Coordinators, Science Teachers, Professional Development Trainers, and Administrators
- Train your science teachers to make the NGSS a more integral part of their instruction and assessments in grades 6-12
- Discover the overlap between science and engineering and how to help science teachers seamlessly integrate the two into science instruction … Discover how to develop curriculum and assessments that align to the NGSS
- Time-efficient ways to develop your own instructional resources, units and assessments aligned with the NGSS
- Receive ready-to-use tools, templates, activities, an extensive NGSS digital resource handbook, and a PowerPoint slide presentation adaptable for immediate use to train teachers to better understand the shifts required to incorporate the NGSS into their instruction
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Develop your knowledge, skills and confidence to lead your school or district toward more successful implementation of the Next Generation Science Standards. Over the course of two days, you will learn how to better help science teachers develop instruction that is dynamic, student-centered, exemplifies three-dimensional learning, and integrates science and engineering. In this unique opportunity, you'll gain valuable, research-based best practices for boosting student achievement in science. You'll leave with the most current resources to help science teachers better understand how to make the vision of the NGSS a reality in their classrooms and to better understand what the new standards require students to know and be able to do. You'll learn how to more efficiently develop classroom assessments and scoring guides that align with the NGSS. Whether you are new to the NGSS or an experienced specialist, you will find numerous new ideas, strategies, techniques, and activities that you can use immediately to increase the engagement, motivation and success of your students in science.
To help you train your teachers, Presidential Awardee for Excellence in Science, science coach, NGSS expert, and popular presenter Liz Mirra has developed this practical train-the-trainer opportunity you won't want to miss.
All participants will receive an digital NGSS PowerPoint presentation and an extensive NGSS digital resource handbook with practical strategies, proven resources and helpful instructional planning guides that you can immediately put to use to train, motivate, inspire, and support your science teachers.
A Practical, Two-Day Institute Focused on Supporting Science Teachers in Implementing the NGSS
Plan to attend as a school or district team, a representative team member, or district team leader and bring back the knowledge and skills to improve science instruction and student achievement. You will learn how to build on the strengths of your current science program, identify the instructional shifts that will have the greatest impact on student science achievement in your school or district, and develop a plan for implementation and improvement. Return to your school with highly effective professional development strategies and new resources to support and train your teachers to better incorporate the NGSS into their instruction.
Structure Science Instruction for the Greatest Results—Boost Teacher Expertise AND Student Achievement
Discover the attributes of highly effective science instruction and learn how to inspire teachers to make the vision of the NGSS a stronger reality in their classrooms. Gain innovative ideas for conducting motivating and engaging professional development while deepening your own understanding of the NGSS. During the two days, you will learn how to help science teachers make better sense of the new standards, incorporate them into their instruction and create engaging and motivating learning opportunities that improve student mastery.
Support and Train Your Teachers to Incorporate the NGSS, Including:
- Practical strategies for supporting science teachers whether they are just beginning to work with the NGSS or are more experienced
- Professional development activities aimed at helping teachers more deeply understand the instructional implications of the NGSS and STEM
- How to "unpack" a Next Generation Science Standard to better understand what students need to know and be able to do … How to use this process in training other science educators
- How to design science lessons and units that incorporate the science and engineering practices, crosscutting concepts and disciplinary core ideas found in the NGSS
- Specific examples and best resources about STEM-related career choices to use with students
- Where to find the most useful resources that are aligned to the NGSS
- Available tools to help teachers evaluate how well instructional and curricular materials align with the NGSS
- How to modify your existing curricular materials to align with the Next Generation Science Standards
- What three-dimensional learning is and how to help teachers make it a stronger reality in their classrooms
- How to help teachers develop classroom assessments and scoring guides that assess three-dimensional learning
- Strategies for helping teachers design science instruction that allows ALL students to be successful
- How to use anchoring phenomena, driving questions and a coherent storyline to engage and motivate students
- Research-based best practices for boosting student achievement in science
- How to help teachers use a "cascade of practices" to design instruction that provides opportunities for students to use evidence to support modeling and explanations of their thinking
- How to more effectively incorporate engineering design into science instruction
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
The Next Generation Science Standards represent the most current research on science and science learning. These new standards require us to make shifts in our instructional practices that can be a significant departure from the ways we have approached science instruction in the past. While it is an exciting time to be a science educator, I know many educators are overwhelmed by the new standards and unsure where to start when moving toward the NGSS.
In this practical, two-day train-the-trainer institute, I will share specific strategies, tools and the most current resources that you can begin to use immediately to help you and your teaching colleagues incorporate the Next Generation Science Standards into your science instruction. My goal is that you will walk away with highly effective practices that you can confidently implement in your classroom and easily replicate to inspire teachers in your school or district.
I will share highly effective ways to seamlessly integrate the science and engineering practices, crosscutting concepts and disciplinary core ideas into effective and engaging instructional sequences. Learn innovative techniques for creating a dynamic, student-centered classroom where students collaborate to make sense of real-world scientific phenomena and solve engineering problems. You will leave knowing how to better transform science classrooms into efficient and effective learning environments where critical thinking, hands-on science and project-based learning lead to increased student mastery of the new standards.
I invite you to join me for this valuable experience that will inspire and motivate you to return to your school better prepared to help science teachers immediately implement the resources and cutting-edge instructional techniques that support the NGSS. To help support this experience, you will be provided with an extensive NGSS digital resource handbook that has all the resources shared during the institute. I will respect your time by only sharing the best resources and strategies to help your students master the new standards. I look forward to meeting you at the institute!
P.S. I'll be sharing with you only the most practical and effective strategies from my own experiences teaching and coaching in science classrooms – these ideas really work!
Who Should Attend
Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Science Department Heads, Team Leaders, Science Coaches, Science Coordinators, Science Teachers, Professional Development Trainers, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive NGSS Digital Resource Handbook
Each institute participant will receive an extensive NGSS digital resource handbook that is specifically designed for this institute. Included in the handbook are:
- Practical ideas for helping your students meet rigorous science content and practice standards, including those aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards
- Powerful strategies to increase student engagement and retention of core ideas from the new standards and STEM
- Innovative ideas for integrating the science and engineering practices and crosscutting concepts into your science instruction
- Proven step-by-step techniques for planning engaging instructional sequences aligned to the NGSS
- Outstanding ideas for incorporating engineering into your science instruction
- Creative ways to integrate reading, writing and math into your science instruction
- Training tips and suggested formats helping science teachers incorporate the NGSS into their science instruction
Elizabeth Mirra will be available at the institute for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own science program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.