This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
To verify if optional CEUs are available for your state: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Specifically Designed for District Leaders and District Staff Responsible for Successful Substitute Teacher Recruitment, Training, Retention, and Systems
- Key components of an effective substitute teacher recruitment strategy and ways to craft a recruitment campaign that you can implement immediately
- Best practices that improve substitute teacher retention and keep subs coming back to your schools
- Activate your biggest pipeline – your sub teacher pool … Examples of outstanding programs that reimagine substitute teaching and intentionally build a sub-to-teacher pipeline
- How to develop a strategic plan for building your substitute teacher workforce
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Learn how to increase your substitute teacher pool and strengthen sub teaching in your school district in this strategy-packed, half-day leadership institute led by sub teaching systems expert, author, and national presenter AMANDA von MOOS. Specifically designed for school district leaders looking to build their substitute teacher workforce, this institute focuses on practical resources, tools and strategies designed to reduce sub teacher turnover, while helping your district effectively compete in today's labor market.
Join Amanda for outside-the-box, innovative ideas to help your district truly make progress with this nationwide challenge. Explore inspiring examples of exemplary programs that reimagine how substitute teaching works to build a thriving sub-to-teacher pipeline. You won't want to miss this opportunity to gain innovative and practical solutions for addressing the substitute teacher shortage.
You will leave with dozens of strategies and ideas and an extensive digital resource handbook to help you strengthen your substitute teaching system and activate your biggest talent pipeline for permanent staff – your sub pool.
A Practical, Half-Day Institute Focused on Increasing Your Pool of Substitute Teachers
Plan to attend as a district leader, district team, or a representative team member to learn about how to increase the pool of substitute teachers in your school district. Together, we'll begin to craft your strategic plan for building your substitute teacher workforce. You will learn about best practices in substitute teacher management and look at inspiring examples of exemplary substitute teaching systems. We will also explore outstanding ideas for recruitment strategy, and you will leave with a targeted recruitment campaign for your own district.
Develop a Plan to Reduce Turnover in Your Existing Substitute Teacher Pool
The key to building your substitute teacher workforce is reducing turnover. That means focusing on improving the day-to-day lives of your substitute teachers so that your subs will want to keep working for you. In this institute, we will unpack the strategies with the greatest potential to help you accomplish this goal. We will also explore next generation staffing models that move away from the traditional gig structure for substitute teaching. We'll look at how these models can help your district build a robust sub-to-teacher pipeline and increase sub retention by making substitute teaching a more desirable job.
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical strategies for district leaders to increase your pool of substitute teachers
- How to craft an effective sub teacher recruitment campaign
- Key metrics every sub office should be tracking
- Communication plan templates for engaging sub teachers during the year
- Key insights about the current labor market and implications for sub teacher recruitment
- How to improve the quality of the plans teachers provide to substitute teachers – and why it matters
- Data-driven management best practices for substitute leaders in districts
- Key components of an effective PD program for substitute teachers
- How to build an effective sub-to-teacher pipeline
- Best practices in how schools welcome and integrate substitute teachers, and practical ideas to support schools to improve
- The most impactful employment trends and key insights on how they affect substitute teaching
- Essential ways to make substitute teaching more attractive to candidates
- Ideas, ideas, ideas! … Annual sub teacher survey, annual plan template for the sub office, ideas for increasing sub teacher retention, best practices for sub teacher hiring, and much more!
Here's What You Can Expect From This Half-Day Institute:
Schools are relying on substitute teachers more than ever but districts across the country are struggling to attract and retain enough subs. This institute offers a unique opportunity to strengthen and redesign your substitute teaching system. But to do it you need a vision for changing the game around substitute teaching, and a plan for how to get there. It's time to get serious about our strategy for increasing our pool of substitute teachers. That's exactly what we'll do in this hands-on half-day institute.
First, we will explore the best practices that will keep substitute teachers coming back, helping you to develop a strong plan for increasing sub teacher retention in your school district. Next, we'll examine what we can learn from recruiters and education staffing firms about how to craft an effective recruitment campaign, and you'll practice by mapping one out for your district. Finally, we'll look at how to design an effective sub-to-teacher pipeline and specifically three game-changing examples of programs that have redesigned how substitute teaching works.
You will leave with a strategic plan for strengthening substitute teaching in your school district and a toolkit to help you do it.
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Gone are the days when we had an abundance of people wanting to work in schools. Keeping schools staffed is the most pressing challenge facing school districts today, and your job has never been harder!
You've got to figure out both how to make substitute teaching more attractive in the current labor market and how to retain substitute teachers once you've hired them. This means you need an effective strategy for building your substitute teaching workforce.
That's just what we'll work on in this intensive half-day leadership institute.
I've gone deep in understanding the dynamics around substitute teaching and ways to get sub teaching systems working better. In our time together, I will share the best practices I've uncovered in my research and experience, and the most promising practical ideas and examples of innovative, effective models for substitute teaching.
But you need more than strategy! As a coach and consultant who has worked with dozens of school district HR teams across the country, I know your bandwidth is limited and your plate is already overflowing. That's why I'll also share a toolkit of things you can use to operationalize your plan and practical advice for how you can advance the work in your own district.
I hope you'll join us for this important half-day institute focused on increasing your substitute teacher pool.
Amanda von Moos
P.S. Be prepared to take back practical strategies and ideas you can use immediately to build your substitute teacher workforce.
Who Should Attend
District Leaders and District Staff Responsible for Successful Substitute Teacher Recruitment, Training, Retention, and Systems
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Sub Teacher System Digital Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Substitute teaching planning tools and templates you can easily use or adapt
- The latest resources and research around the dynamics impacting substitute teaching
- Best practice guides and examples for strengthening your sub teaching system
- Sample substitute teacher job descriptions
- Exemplary examples of next generation models for substitute teaching
- Helpful management tools for substitute teaching offices
Amanda von Moos will be available at the half-day institute for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own substitute teacher program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.