Strengthen Student Learning in BLOCK SCHEDULE Classes (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Vincent Mancuso
Specifically Designed for Educators Using or Considering Block Scheduling, Grades 6-12
- Discover new, cutting-edge instructional techniques and strategies that make the most effective use of extended class periods
- Proven methods learned from educators who successfully teach in the block schedule format
- Easy-to-implement activities and practical ideas that maximize student engagement and learning outcomes in the block schedule format
- An extensive digital resource handbook packed with dozens of practical, NEW ideas you can use immediately in your block schedule
Practical Ideas and Strategies
If your school is considering or has already moved to a block schedule and you are searching for practical strategies and activities to make the most effective use of extended class periods, this is a seminar you don’t want to miss. In this unique seminar by Vince Mancuso, an experienced secondary teacher in the block schedule, will present the key elements of designing and delivering an effective block schedule program.
Throughout the day, you’ll receive a wealth of innovative ideas and advanced techniques that can be incorporated into various disciplines. You’ll leave this exciting seminar with a wealth of practical, innovative ideas, increased confidence in your block format teaching abilities, and a valuable digital resource handbook filled with practical, ready-to-use materials and activities.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Expand Your Teaching Options within the Block Schedule
Take full advantage of the valuable time provided by block schedules – learn new and practical strategies for engaging your secondary students
- Design Effective Lessons for Extended Class Periods
Discover a wealth of practical strategies and classroom approaches to create learning groups, manage transitions and maintain student attention. Take full advantage of the valuable time provided by block schedules to produce maximum results
- Promote and Maintain Student Engagement in Extended Class Periods
Discover innovative ideas and easy-to-use activities that will help sustain student focus and participation throughout extended class periods
- Build an Inclusive Secondary Classroom within the Block Schedule
Learn how to use longer periods of class time to create a classroom environment that welcomes all students, fosters cooperation, and builds higher levels of student participation
- Enhance Student Understanding with the Latest Brain Research on Learning
Discover effective learning strategies grounded in the most current research on how the brain learns, providing the greatest opportunities for all students to most deeply understand the concepts you teach
- Use a Multi-Sensory Approach to Promote Mastery of Core Concepts
Examine the possibilities within your existing curriculum and the extended class period for teaching core concepts in ways that challenge students to think and act creatively, while producing high quality academic work
- Enrich Your Existing Curriculum
Learn advanced methods for adapting your current curriculum to fit within a block schedule, maintaining your curricular objectives while creating meaningful experiences for your students
- Strengthen Class Participation and Student Interaction in Your Extended Class Periods
Empower your students with student-centered learning activities that promote communication, collaboration, participation, and diverse perspectives
- Learn the Key Components of a Successful Block Schedule Program
Learn what all teachers need to know as they implement a new block schedule format or strive to enhance an existing one
- Acquire New Teaching Practices and Skills
Explore practical, easy-to-implement instructional strategies for the extended class period that are adaptable to all content areas
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Highly effective, proven strategies that take advantage of the extended period to maximize the learning opportunities of secondary students
- Effective methods to increase and maintain student focus and engagement over extended periods of time
- Innovative ideas for integrating multi-sensory learning activities into your block schedule classroom
- Learn exciting classroom activities that increase student participation and collaboration in an extended class period
- Brain-based learning techniques that deepen understanding and increase student motivation
- Powerful and easy-to-use instructional strategies, appropriate for use in any curriculum
- Effective ideas for creating learning groups and managing transitions in extended class periods
- Practical assessment techniques for non-traditional learning activities
- Hands-on learning activities, perfect for extended class periods, that foster creativity and ignite imagination
- Proven methods for using a multi-sensory approach to motivate students to achieve high academic standards
- How to incorporate the essential attributes of an effective block lesson
- Efficiently utilize the time provided in a block lesson to develop higher order thinking and problem-solving skills
- Proven strategies for increasing the academic achievement of students in a block schedule format
- Learn how the extended classroom time in a block schedule format can be utilized to promote communication and diverse perspectives
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I taught for over ten years in a block schedule format. I learned that what initially seemed daunting, actually became an opportunity to explore, renew and revitalize my teaching practices. Ultimately, this enriched my curriculum, helped me to grow as a professional and enhanced my students’ learning potentials.
My experience in working with learners in my own classroom and secondary educators working in extended class periods across the U.S. has provided me with an extensive collection of innovative ideas, activities and strategies for actively engaging students in creative, collaborative and meaningful learning within the block scheduling format. This seminar will focus on innovative, powerful strategies and activities that ignite the imagination, meet the learning needs of diverse student populations and make the most efficient use of the time provided in a block schedule. As a participant, you will receive hands-on experience with multi-sensory teaching that will allow you to look at the presentation of your own curriculum in new and exciting ways. You will discover the most rewarding instructional methods these academic settings provide and learn to implement them in ways that increase the opportunities for student success. This interactive seminar will provide you with the tools to apply these strategies immediately in your own extended period classroom.
There are tremendous benefits to the block schedule that provide incredible teaching and learning opportunities. Those presented in this seminar are designed to increase classroom participation, develop essential communication and problem-solving skills, promote creativity, maximize learning potentials, and enhance engagement in extended class periods.
I hope you will join me for this valuable experience that will inspire and motivate you to return to your classroom with enthusiasm and excitement. I look forward to our day together and sharing strategies that will renew your vigor and enthusiasm for teaching. I am incredibly excited to work with you!
P.S. Again, the focus of this seminar is on practical applications. You’ll receive a wealth of valuable ideas, resources and strategies you will be able to use immediately in your own block classes.
Who Should Attend
Grades 6-12 educators using or considering Block Scheduling
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Cutting-edge ideas and strategies that can be immediately implemented in block schedule classes
- Block schedule strategies and activities that maximize engagement of secondary students
- A summary of current research on block scheduling
- The most effective methods and models to organize time within extended periods
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in strengthening grades 6-12 student learning in block schedule classes.
Vince Mancuso will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.