This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
To verify if optional CEUs are available for your state: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Making Best Use of Google Classroom to Strengthen Your SOCIAL STUDIES Instruction (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Bethany Petty
Specifically Designed for Grades 6-12 History/Social Studies Teachers, Technology Integration Specialists and Social Studies Curriculum Coordinators
- Dozens of practical strategies for best utilizing Google Classroom to strengthen your secondary Social Studies students’ engagement and learning
- The best free Google and Chrome web apps for enhancing instruction in the grades 6-12 Social Studies classroom
- Timesaving ways to more easily manage Social Studies students’ work in Google Classroom … Assign, collect, grade, and give feedback with just a few clicks
- Receive an extensive Google Classroom digital resource handbook and special access to Bethany’s website so you can immediately link to all the resources presented in this seminar
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This outstanding, seminar is specially designed for secondary History/Social Studies educators who want to make more effective use of Google Classroom and a variety of free Google Tools to enhance Social Studies learning. BETHANY J. PETTY, outstanding secondary Social Studies teacher and Google for Education Certified Trainer and Educator, will show you how to more efficiently tap into the power of online student collaboration with Google Classroom and how to take greater advantage of the most useful aspects of G Suite for Education – specifically for grades 6-12 Social Studies teachers. You will also learn how to make the best use of many of the most useful Google Tools for Social Studies including Google Docs, Google Drawings, Google Slides, Google Forms, Chrome Extensions, Google Geo Tools, and much more! Bethany will share practical and timesaving strategies for streamlining everyday workflows in your Social Studies classroom. Whether you are brand new to using Google Classroom or are an experienced user, you’ll leave this seminar with a wealth of use-tomorrow ideas. You will also receive an extensive digital resource handbook with step-by-step instructions for utilizing all the tools and apps presented in this seminar to reinforce and extend your learning after the seminar.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Learn Essential Google Classroom Practices for Enhancing Your History/Social Studies Instruction
What every grades 6-12 Social Studies teacher needs to know about fully tapping into Google Classroom, Apps and Extensions … The best, most useful aspects for strengthening your Social Studies instruction
- Boost Your Productivity AND Effectiveness as a Social Studies Teacher
Employ the best free Google Classroom, Chrome apps and extensions to help you save time while increasing your effectiveness … Explore timesaving strategies for you that enhance learning for your Social Studies students
- Increase Collaboration, Communication, Connection, and Problem Solving
Innovative strategies for engaging students in identifying and solving problems using Google and other web tools … Ways to connect students with people, including experts locally and/or globally to collaborate on and develop solutions
- Create and Curate Social Studies Content on YouTube
Easy access to free resources you can use with your own students … Publish your own videos and tutorials
- Incorporate the Best Google Apps and Extensions for Social Studies
Discover highly engaging and relevant tools – perfect for enhancing your Social Studies instruction and program
- Save Valuable Time and Energy
Explore a variety of great ways to utilize Google Forms in your Social Studies classroom … Learn how to digitize exit tickets and create self-grading quizzes
- Dive into the Newest Features of Google Classroom
Google is constantly revising and releasing new features … Prepare to be amazed at the newest ways Google Classroom can support your Social Studies program
- Discover the World Through Google Geo Tools
Take your Social Studies students on virtual trips to any location in the world … Help your students develop a deeper appreciation for different cultures
- Increase Student Engagement and Motivation in Your Classroom
Encourage students to show what they know by utilizing outstanding Google Tools, Apps and Extensions that work best for them … Meet the diverse needs and interests of your students
- Receive an Extensive Social Studies-Focused Google Classroom Digital Resource Handbook and Access to a Specially Created Website
You will receive an extensive Google Classroom digital resource handbook that includes detailed descriptions and practical classroom applications of each of the Google Tools and Apps presented … Receive access to a website specially created for this seminar filled with helpful links and online tutorials
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical strategies for making the best use of Google Classroom, specifically for History/Social Studies teachers
- The most essential Google Apps and Extensions for enhancing grades 6-12 Social Studies instruction
- Work smarter, not harder … Learn timesaving tips for using Google Classroom, Apps and Tools more efficiently, including self-graded, multiple-choice and project-based assessments
- How to find, download and install the latest Chrome apps that are applicable to secondary Social Studies instruction
- How to differentiate Social Studies instruction for students in grades 6-12 using Google Tools
- What cloud-computing is and how it can make your life in Social Studies easier
- Outstanding digital portfolio strategies … Empower students to showcase their Social Studies projects and digitize your classroom with Google Sites
- Innovative ideas to help your students explore other cultures and amazing locations around the world
- How to streamline classroom management and routines using Google apps
- Ways to use Chrome profiles to access all your Social Studies content, bookmarks and files from anywhere
- Practical, terrific ways to use Google Classroom, G Suite and YouTube to strengthen instruction, productivity, collaborative learning, and high-level thinking
- Advanced Google Apps to enhance communications with students and parents
- Timesaving strategies for providing immediate feedback to students
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Is it just me, or does it seem like each year as our list of responsibilities grows, our time to actually teach shrinks? Our schools invest in technology with the expectation we will incorporate it into our instruction, but who has time to research and stay on top of the latest, best tech applications specifically for Social Studies instruction?
The good news is, there are so many terrific, exciting options available for engaging students and enhancing Social Studies instruction. I want to save you time by sharing resources you can immediately use in your own Social Studies classroom.
I have specifically designed this seminar based on my years as a secondary Social Studies teacher, instructional technology presenter, and Google Certified Trainer and Educator. I want to give you the strategies and confidence to immediately strengthen your Social Studies instruction. I’ve worked with countless Social Studies teachers of all skill levels on making the best use of Google Classroom and other technology tools, and I am confident that you will leave with a wealth of use-tomorrow strategies.
Throughout our day together, we will explore the best ways to use Google Classroom, Extensions, Apps, and Tools to greatly enhance your Social Studies instruction and program. We’ll look at ways to actively engage your students within and beyond the bounds of your classroom. I want to equip you with timesaving strategies to streamline your classroom workflow and strengthen your confidence in best utilizing Google Classroom with your Social Studies students. We will also explore ways that Classroom and other web tools can enhance your communication with parents and showcase the great accomplishments of your History/Social Studies students.
I invite you to join me for an exciting day filled with outstanding, practical, and timesaving Google Classroom strategies that you can use the very next day!
Bethany J. Petty
P.S. Regardless of your experience or comfort level with Google Classroom, I promise you will walk away from this seminar with highly-practical ideas you will be excited to implement right away!
Who Should Attend
Grades 6-12 History/ Social Studies Teachers, Technology Integration Specialists and Social Studies Curriculum Coordinators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive a History/Social Studies-focused Google Classroom digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Practical, timesaving strategies and ideas for integrating Google Classroom and G Suite into your History/Social Studies instruction
- Step-by-step guides to using Google Classroom and G Suite with your students
- Descriptions, images and publishers of the newest, most effective Chrome Extensions for grades 6-12 Social Studies instruction
- Tips and tricks for using Google Classroom, Google Drive and other resources to enhance Social Studies instruction and simplify the feedback process
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their Social Studies program.
Bethany Petty will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own Social Studies program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.