Outstanding, Innovative Strategies To Maximize SOCIAL STUDIES Instruction (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Rhett Oldham
Specifically Designed for Grades 6-12 History/Social Studies Teachers
- Over 100 practical, engaging, and FUN strategies to strengthen your Social Studies students’ motivation, participation, and learning
- A wealth of focused instructional strategies to fill your teacher toolbox and enhance your Social Studies lessons
- Timesaving strategies that maximize every minute in the Social Studies classroom and reduce the amount of time you spend grading each week
- Receive an extensive Social Studies digital resource handbook packed with a wealth of inspiring strategies and practical techniques you can use immediately
Practical Ideas and Strategies
As History/Social Studies educators, we want to inspire our students to learn intrinsically, because THEY WANT TO, not because there is a grade attached. In this outstanding NEW seminar, you’ll learn how to appeal to the creative side of all your students, regardless of their abilities and interests. Join award-winning and innovative Social Studies teacher, RHETT OLDHAM, as he shares over 100 of the best, highly engaging, and easy-to-implement strategies designed to maximize your Social Studies instruction. By following the “5 in 5 Rule” that Rhett uses in his own Social Studies classroom, you will deliver highly creative and appealing lessons that are surprisingly easy to create and are designed to make the learning stick for your students. You won’t want to miss this day, specifically for middle and high school History/Social Studies teachers, filled with practical tools, techniques and resources that will appeal to your students. Join Rhett for an outstanding day full of strategies you can use tomorrow and for years to come!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Over 100 Outstanding and Innovative Strategies to Maximize Your Instruction
Explore creative, innovative, and PRACTICAL strategies you can use the very next day in your grades 6-12 History/Social Studies classroom … The best of the best, classroom-tested ideas – no matter what social studies content you teach
- Immerse Your Social Studies Students in High Quality Lesson Strategies
Employ outstanding strategies with easy-to-use techniques that will make any Social Studies lesson POP
- Structure Your Social Studies Units for Student Success
Explore innovative unit design ideas to strengthen student learning … Incorporate meaningful, inquiry-based learning, develop sophisticated overarching questions, and structure content to revolve around unit goals
- Develop a Diverse Portfolio of Activities and Learning Strategies
Successfully integrate both no-tech and high-tech strategies in lessons that will engage Social Studies students on a variety of levels
- Establish a Classroom Culture Focused on Growth Mindset, Academic Tenacity and Grit
Learn how to instill expectations of success in all your History/Social Studies students … Integrate strategies within the curriculum to ensure student accountability
- Incorporate the Best of Google to Enhance Any Social Studies Lesson
There is so much more to Google than a search engine … Powerfully integrate Google Tools to enrich your current Social Studies lessons and increase student learning and engagement
- Connect Your Social Studies Classroom with Students’ Interests
Engage students with proven strategies that will peak your learners’ curiosity … Learn how to use inquiry strategies that will generate excitement in lessons
- Regain Valuable Time for Where You’re Most Needed
Discover ways to personalize learning and optimize the impact of your Social Studies instruction using time-efficient strategies
- Incorporate Global Collaboration into Daily Lessons
Integrate global learning, allowing educators and students around the world to become part of your classroom … Learn how to break down the physical walls of your classroom by bringing the global community to your Social Studies students
- Receive an Extensive Social Studies Digital Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook, filled with over a hundred outstanding and innovative strategies to maximize your grades 6-12 History/Social Studies instruction
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Over 100 of the best, highly engaging, and easy-to-implement strategies to strengthen your Social Studies classroom – no matter what courses you teach
- Work smarter, not harder by creating lessons that are fun to teach and quick to grade
- Innovative, engaging lesson strategies that will appeal to Social Studies students at any learning level
- Practical approaches to creating lessons that say, “WOW!”
- High interest, high impact blueprints for maximizing your Social Studies lessons
- Proven engagement strategies that create buy in for even your most reluctant learners
- Timesaving tips and tricks, and outstanding, sensible ideas within the framework of your curriculum to expand your Social Studies teacher toolbox
- Classroom-tested strategies and tips to strengthen your students’ skills as readers and writers
- Going Global with your classroom has never been so easy … manageable techniques and online tools you can use immediately
- Gamification doesn’t mean games for games’ sake … incorporate competitive strategies into learning where Social Studies students of all levels can compete fairly
- How to create a growth mindset classroom where your Social Studies students learn academic tenacity and grit
- Network with educators in your state and around the world … here’s how!
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
It’s not that traditional Social Studies lessons are wrong or bad, but the students we teach today have never known a world without technology. Good teaching practices and strong pedagogy never goes out of style, and with slight adjustments, we can easily incorporate them into strategies that will engage our 21st century students. I want to show you how!
In this seminar, I will introduce you to my education philosophy called the “5 In 5 Rule,” and it answers a simple question, “Can your students remember 5 things that happened in your Social Studies classroom, 5 years after they have left?” By creating lessons and learning activities that are fun and engaging, your students will leave your classroom with memories. Memories that go beyond the pages of a textbook. Memories that go beyond remembering names and dates. Memories that strengthen student learning, and spark interest and curiosity outside of the walls of your classroom.
While the ideas I present are research-based, this is not a seminar that takes a deep dive in theory. The focus of our day will be on outstanding, highly practical strategies and learning techniques specifically for maximizing your Social Studies instruction. We will dive deep into strategies I use in my classroom with my own students every day. We’ll explore highly appealing techniques you can use to increase the engagement and success of your students of all abilities and interests.
I have yet to meet a Social Studies teacher who told me the reason they entered the education field was to lecture and pass out worksheets. We teach to inspire and ignite that intrinsic desire in our students to learn. Where students are motivated to complete assignments not just because there is a grade attached to them, but because they are fun and they appeal to what students are interested in learning.
I invite you to join me for an action-packed day filled with talking Social Studies shop, gaining many new and terrific ideas for our instruction, and discussing the greatest profession in the world … TEACHING MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL SOCIAL STUDIES!
P.S. Be prepared to fill your teacher toolbox with ideas and strategies you will use tomorrow and for years to come in your Social Studies instruction.
Who Should Attend
Grades 6-12 History/Social Studies Teachers
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 45 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- A wealth of outstanding, innovative, proven Social Studies teaching strategies that build high level student engagement and learning
- Detailed descriptions of activities that will promote student collaboration and participation
- Classroom-proven activities that spark curiosity and promote a dynamic Social Studies learning environment
- No-tech and high-tech tools perfect for enhancing your grades 6-12 Social Studies instruction and meeting your students’ unique needs
- Timesaving strategies that maximize every minute in your Social Studies classroom and reduce the amount of time you spend grading each week
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other grades 6-12 History/Social Studies teachers.
Rhett Oldham will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own History/Social Studies program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.