This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
To verify if optional CEUs are available for your state: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Enhancing READING WORKSHOP: Make Best Use of Explicit, Systematic Phonics, Small Group Strategy Lessons and Word Work Activities to Boost Early Reading Success (Grades K-2)
Presented by Linda Klotz
Specifically Designed for Kindergarten-Grade 2 Teachers, Instructional Aides, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Literacy Specialists, and Administrators
- Maximize the effectiveness READING WORKSHOP leading to greater success for your primary students
- Incorporate explicit, systematic phonics instruction and powerful word work activities that support learning and engage the rest of students during reading workshop
- Increase the learning potential in your small group reading lessons with productive strategies for dramatic reading growth
- Innovative tools and techniques for identifying and meeting the word recognition needs of all your K-2 students regardless of the curriculum you use
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Join experienced K-2 teacher and seminar leader Linda Klotz in this seminar that will provide you with classroom-tested explicit, systematic phonics strategies, mini-lessons, small group reading strategies, and meaningful word work activities that can be implemented within your K-2 reading workshop program. These ready-to-use ideas will give you a fresh perspective, clarify the most effective phonics instructional practices and keep your students moving forward as readers. Linda will share proven ways to practice and build upon these phonics skills at a word work center within the reading workshop. You’ll see demonstrations of mini-lessons and response activities that will strengthen your students’ comprehension and vocabulary skills. Linda will share only the strategies she has used with success in her own classroom, including ideas for comprehension, developing vocabulary, interactive and systematic phonics instruction appropriate to each student’s individual reading level. You’ll leave with numerous ideas you can use right away.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Strategies! Strategies! Strategies! Strengthen Your Reading Workshop Program in Grades K-2
Incorporate innovative strategies that will elevate the effectiveness of guided reading, small group instruction, and independent centers to help your students to achieve maximum reading growth
- Discover Innovative Ways to Reinforce Best Practices for Phonics Instruction
Maximize characteristics of strong explicit, systematic phonics instruction to meet the needs of students aligned to your district curriculum mandates
- Maximize the Success of Your Differentiated Small Group Instruction
Learn the essential components of planning differentiated lessons to maximize your students’ reading achievement
- Keep the Rest of Your Students Productively Engaged in Reading Workshop While You Teach Your Small Reading Groups
Discover powerful, easy-to-incorporate reading workshop and word work ideas designed to provide your students with the practice they need ... Dozens of specific suggestions as well as a wealth of sample materials
- Strengthen Reading Comprehension with Word Study and Word Work
Ensure your students are able to “break the code” with supportive word study practices … Explore word study techniques that strengthen vocabulary and comprehension
- Create Research-Based Small Group Lessons that Use Differentiated Materials to Meet Student Needs in Grades K-2
Explore a variety of materials that support and strengthen students’ word study, vocabulary and comprehension skills … Learn how to analyze text in selection of materials to increase your students’ comprehension
- Incorporate Powerful Strategies that Systematically Blend New Skills with Known Concepts
Apply strategies that incorporate systematic learning, gradual release of support and student choice
- Discover How to Maximize Independence During Reading Workshop
Learn proven ways to nudge your students to work more independently … Discover powerful word work, vocabulary and reading comprehension activities that will keep your students reading and writing the entire time
- Powerful Strategies for Delivering High-Impact Mini-Lessons
Learn what is best taught in mini-lessons and how to strengthen the impact of each one … How to make every minute count
- Receive an Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive a comprehensive handbook packed with all the practical strategies, techniques and activities specifically designed for this seminar … Outstanding resources for you to use immediately when you return to your classroom
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Powerful strategies for delivering effective and high-impact mini-lessons in-person and online
- Easy-to-incorporate strategies to strengthen reading responses during reading workshop
- How to determine student needs in order to form and differentiate reading lessons for small groups
- Specific ways to teach comprehension skills for fiction and nonfiction text
- Effective environments for optimal learning
- Developmentally appropriate explicit, systematic phonics activities to strengthen decoding and word work
- Classroom-proven lesson plans that connect specific phonics skills and practice to engaging picture books
- Practical, realistic strategies for differentiating reading instruction to meet the needs of each student
- How to increase each student’s stamina in reading
- Innovative ways to build systematic and explicit phonics instruction
- Proven ideas to help students practice reciprocal teaching
- Ways to provide greater teacher clarity and intention to make your reading workshop more purposeful and meaningful
- Fluency strategies to support automaticity with students in grades K-2
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
This day is for you! As an experienced, current K-2 teacher and seminar leader, I want to share with you the best of what I have found to be successful with real students in real classrooms. My goal is to equip you to feel more empowered, organized, and mindful in delivering highly effective, differentiated reading instruction that is responsive to your students’ needs.
During our day together, you will learn innovative ideas and proven strategies to change, adapt, and/or tweak your current reading workshop program for dramatic results. I will share powerful engagement strategies, effective reading tools, interactive and developmentally appropriate systematic phonics activities, word and fluency-building work to make your reading workshop more productive. We will also look at how to stimulate a positive learning environment and growth mindset necessary for students to learn in-class and online.
This seminar will help clarify how you can better reach your students through mini-lessons and small reading groups while keeping the rest of your students actively practicing the work of reading in reading workshop. The day will be packed with teach, model and practice opportunities that are sure to re-energize you and give you new tools. All the strategies I share are practical, easy-to-implement, and classroom proven to increase the reading achievement of all your K-2 students.
P.S. You will receive an extensive resource handbook I created specifically for this seminar that is filled with ideas and strategies to make your reading workshop program more effective.
Who Should Attend
Kindergarten - Grade 2 Teachers, Instructional Aides, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Literacy Specialists, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Meaningful word work ideas that deepen skill development and provide independent reading and writing practice
- Mini-lessons that lead to a richer, more meaningful reading workshop
- Practical, ready-to-use strategies to engage your K-2 students with hands-on, minds-on activities
- Multiple ways to support the application of explicit, systematic phonics instruction across the school day
Linda Klotz will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.