Improve Your Students' Growth in Reading (Grades 3-6)
Presented by Heather Kenny
Specifically Designed for Grades 3-6: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Interventionists, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators
- Practical strategies to improve reading growth and achievement for ALL your K-6 students
- Advance your students’ progress toward more ambitious reading goals
- Effective tools to address unfinished learning and advance your reading students to higher levels
- Receive an extensive reading instruction digital resource handbook filled with engaging, ready-to-use activities, strategies, and practical instructional tools you can use right away
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Do you have too many students in grades 3-6 who have either fallen behind in reading, students who can read but just won’t read, and students ready and waiting for more challenge? If so, you do not want to miss this NEW seminar by outstanding Reading teacher, Heather Kenny. The focus of this seminar is on the most effective, innovative instructional strategies specifically for improving students’ growth in Reading– perfect for getting your students’ learning growth and motivation back on track and moving forward faster. Heather’s ideas are practical, innovative, and academically rich. Explore a wealth of strategies for targeting your instruction to meet the varied needs of your ALL your Reading students. Join Heather and your colleagues for a day filled with the best, cutting-edge strategies and approaches for improving students’ growth in Reading. You will leave with a multitude of practical tasks, meaningful activities and unique ideas that can be easily adapted to your learning environment.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Improve The Reading Growth of All Your Grades 3-6 Students
Significantly improve the reading growth of your students regardless of their current levels of performance … Meet them where they are and take their reading to new heights
- Meet Your Readers Where They Are to Move Them Forward More Quickly
Easily identify your students’ specific reading gaps … Explore effective, easy-to use assessments to help you pinpoint gaps in your students’ reading skills and practical ways to target your instruction to help students catch up and even excel in reading
- Help Your Unmotivated Readers Gain Greater Confidence in Their Reading
When confidence grows, so does academic performance … Discover practical and more effective instructional strategies for motivating your most challenging readers
- Rescue Your Students From Remediation That Can Halt Their Growth
Learn the keys to unlocking higher reading achievement for students who have been stuck in remediation for far too long … Help your students cultivate critical reading behaviors that create more thoughtful, attentive, and successful readers
- Step-Up Your Students’ Reading Growth
Ensure your students receive the focused instruction they need to make rapid learning progress … Target your Reading instruction based on individual student strengths and needs to continue to build successful reading habits
- Increase Reading Perseverance and Stamina
Increase your students’ perseverance and stamina and see more significant growth in reading … Learn how to create more positive reading experiences to ensure your students have experienced what true reading success feels like
- Practical Strategies for Teaching Reading More Effectively in Small Groups
Explore highly engaging teaching techniques that enable you to keep all learners productively engaged while you provide focused, differentiated instruction to students in small groups … Learn proven ways to increase your students’ growth in reading with strategies to maximize the effectiveness of time dedicated to reading
- Unlock the Barriers to Student Growth in Reading
Learn practical approaches that will help unlock the barriers to student growth in reading … Discover better ways to approach and support the growth of unique readers who seem stuck in their development of reading skills application
- Tired of Re-Teaching? Jumpstart the Pace of New Learning for Your Reading Studentson
Ready students for new learning connected to their core content curriculum … Learn practical strategies for improving your students’ learning of new reading skills
- Receive an Extensive Reading Instruction Digital Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive Reading Instruction digital resource handbook filled with engaging activities, techniques and materials specifically designed to help you strengthen the reading growth of your grades 3-6 students … All resources are highly practical and ready for immediate use with your students!
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Strengthen your students’ reading growth with teaching strategies for increased engagement
- Purposeful ideas and strategies to strengthen progress for students who struggle to engage in Reading
- Numerous, effective, small group and cooperative learning strategies that will enable you to differentiate instruction while keeping all students productively engaged
- Motivating, engaging, high interest activities to strengthen your students’ confidence and success in Reading
- Innovative instructional reading strategies to help your students’ engagement and reading growth
- How to dig deeper to identify common reading behaviors that prevent students from making progress
- Practical tips and reasons to prioritize time for independent reading and purposeful conversations
- Strategies for collecting data and pinpointing gaps in students’ reading skills and strategies
- Connect all components of reading to strengthen and accelerate students’ independent reading
- Dozens of resources, templates and activities that support busy educators and can be used within the reading block and with any curriculum to support, motivate and engage students
- Ideas, Ideas, Ideas – learn how to collect data with high-powered assessments, improve your students’ reading fluency, promote the acquisition of new vocabulary, strengthen comprehension skills, increase engagement, and more
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
If there is one thing I’ve learned over the years about teaching reading, it’s that to best teach our readers, we must get to know them as readers. As most of us know, this can’t be done with just a standardized test. Reading instruction is more effective with a multitude of strategies and techniques, applied in the right way at the right time. In this seminar, I am excited to share all that I have learned about the practices that strengthen student growth in reading.
I have designed this seminar to provide you with a wealth of practical strategies and proven techniques to help you learn your students’ reading identities and then tailor instruction in a way that will improve the growth of all your readers. I will share practical ideas and approaches you can use to help students who are frustrated, who are reluctant, who lack the stamina and motivation to persevere in reading. But I also want to share ways to boost not just those readers, but the readers who ARE motivated, and who HAVE stamina, and a desire to IMMERSE themselves in books and reading. In our day together, we will investigate ways to enrich our current practice with instructional choices that support and motivate learners. I will share a variety of reading ideas for each of the components in your reading block while also giving you great opportunities to assess and pinpoint reading behaviors and what to do with those observations to move the needle faster on your students’ reading growth.
Join me and your colleagues at this seminar to experience an energetic and productive day of learning, filled with highly practical strategies and resources designed to help you make a huge difference in your students’ reading achievement. My goal is to give you an array of ideas and insights, you can use in your classroom that doesn’t involve a one size fits all approach. I want you to leave this seminar excited to go back to your students, learn about their unique reading identities with the confidence to then improve ALL of them by meeting them where they are in their journeys as readers.
P.S. You will leave this seminar energized and ready to use all the practical strategies learned to create new reading experiences which will improve your students’ growth in reading!
Who Should Attend
Grades 3-6: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Interventionists, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- New, classroom tested methods that improve reading skills and strategies in Grades 3-6
- A wealth of easy-to-implement ideas that move students forward in their reading growth
- A multitude of practical suggestions for differentiating instruction to meet the needs of ALL readers
- Tools, tips, and tricks that support and engage your students at all levels of reading
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in improving their grades 3-6 students’ growth in reading.
Heather Kenny will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.