Using Models, Games and Routines to Increase Math Learning (Grades 3-6)
Presented by Whitnie Del Toro
Specifically Designed for Classroom Teachers, Math Coaches, Interventionists, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, and Other Educators Teaching Mathematics in Grades 3-6
- Outstanding, practical strategies to facilitate in-depth mathematical thinking and learning through the use of number routines
- Engaging, easy-to-implement math games to enhance all students’ math skills
- Powerful, highly effective math models to enhance students’ conceptual understanding of mathematical concepts
- Engage your entire class in practical, manageable ways – from your struggling students to your most capable students
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Have you ever wondered how to more effectively use math models, games and number routines to build deep thinking and engage students in rich mathematical learning in your classroom? If so, then this energizing and dynamic seminar, led by outstanding educator Whitnie Del Toro, will provide you with countless practical strategies and resources to strengthen your students’ math skills. Discover the latest research-based, classroom tested strategies in mathematics education for developing strong conceptual understanding in grades 3-6 students. Engage your math students and strengthen their success in math with math models that help students visualize math concepts and promote deep, conceptual understanding. Use meaningful math games to increase fluency and problem solving and number routines to help students problem solve, use critical thinking skills and build their foundational understanding. Walk away with models, games and number routines you will be able to use in your own classroom, perfect for helping ALL students – from those who struggle to those who excel – reach greater levels of engagement, persistence and success in mathematics.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Enhance Your Instruction in Mathematics to Better Meet the Needs of All Your Students
Unlock the power of number routines and mathematical models to enhance student conceptual understanding and meet the needs of your diverse learners
- Discover Creative Ways to Review and Re-Teach Math Concepts with Math Models
Learn multiple ways to reinforce math skills using concrete math models that promote the use of academic math vocabulary and conceptual understanding
- Use Number Routines to Foster Rich Mathematical Thinking and Learning
Engage your students with highly-effective and engaging number routines in which students start the same, end the same, but derive the answer using their own strategies
- Highly Effective and Practical Math Games to Strengthen Learning
Promote deeper thinking and math learning with your grades 3-6 students … Provide greater opportunities for ALL your students to experience mathematics as meaningful, challenging and worthwhile
- Utilize Number Routines to Greatly Enhance Mental Math Skills
Learn explicit number routine strategies and questioning techniques that develop mental math skills for all students … Discover new ideas to encourage quality mathematical conversations, build math vocabulary and deepen mathematical understanding
- Increase Students’ Fluency and Confidence in Math Problem Solving
Explore proven strategies that enable students to understand and solve challenging problems with fluency, ease and confidence
- Use Number Sense Routines that Support Standards of Mathematical Practices
Help students develop their metacognition to develop an awareness and understanding about numbers and their relationships
- Increase Students’ Understanding and Use of Mathematical Vocabulary
Learn strategies that encourage students to use academic mathematical vocabulary as they explain their thinking, problem solve and share ideas
- Decrease Math Stress and Increase Student Interest in Math
Add more creative, fun activities to your teaching repertoire … Ignite students’ natural curiosity and reinforce their ability to succeed in math
- Receive an Extensive Math Digital Resource Handbook
You will receive a comprehensive digital handbook filled with engaging activities, researched-based strategies, examples, detailed techniques and number routine resources you can use with your students
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Innovative, hands-on, interactive games to meet students’ diverse needs and increase their success with math
- Strategies to maximize impact of number routines to enhance students’ number sense at all ability levels
- Highly effective and practical number routines that will develop deeper and richer understanding of mathematics
- Dozens of effective math games, resources and activities that support busy educators and work with any curriculum or program
- Meaningful math games to enhance whole group or small group instruction
- How to integrate reading, writing and speaking to increase students’ success in math
- Successful daily routines to streamline and enhance number sense in your classroom
- Engaging, high-interest, motivating math games that build students’ confidence and competence in math
- Math models to strengthen key math skills through the use of cooperative math activities
- Engaging routines and games that encourage math discourse in your classroom and allow students to share their reasoning and critique the reasoning of others
- Math models to help students who struggle in math to go to higher levels of achievement, engagement and persistence
- Strategies to build number sense and computational fluency through the use of number routines
- Creative, fun ways to review and reinforce math concepts through the use of math games
- Ways to integrate visual math models to engage students and develop a deeper understanding of key math concepts
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
“How can I more fully engage my students in mathematical learning? How do I get them to think about numbers flexibly while also encouraging deeper conceptual understanding of key math concepts and building academic vocabulary?” These are questions I consistently hear from my colleagues as well as ones that I have often asked myself. The good news is that I have specifically designed a seminar to answer these questions and help you discover high leverage activities and strategies for maximizing student math learning.
In this seminar, I will share with you the classroom proven strategies that have been successful in closing the achievement gap in mathematics for countless students. Through the effective use of math models, easy-to-implement number routines, and the incorporation of engaging math games, I have learned what it takes to help ALL students. Whether the student is low achieving or high achieving, English native or English Learner, these strategies work! Join me to learn new strategies that provide your grades 3-6 students with opportunities to think critically, develop their math skills, and to foster a deeper conceptual understanding of key math concepts.
I will show you how to successfully use math models to help students “see” the math, providing them with a conceptual foundation needed to problem solve at a high level. You’ll learn a variety of math games that help keep students engaged in their learning while they review and reinforce their math skills. In addition, you will also walk away with numerous number routines to help your students increase their mental math skills, practice strategies, increase mathematical vocabulary, and justify and explain their answers. The best part is that you will leave with strategies you can use immediately!
I look forward to meeting you at the seminar and sharing my experiences and strategies with you. Together, we will explore practical strategies you can use immediately in your instruction in tandem with your current math curriculum.
Whitnie Del Toro
P.S. Join me for a strategy-packed day filled with classroom-tested approaches that are backed by research. You will leave the seminar inspired and equipped to engage students in a deeper understanding of key math concepts. In addition, you will receive an extensive digital resource handbook full of ready-to-use strategies, games and routines.
Who Should Attend
Classroom Teachers, Math Coaches, Interventionists, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, and Other Educators Teaching Mathematics in Grades 3-6
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Dozens of ideas to create number routines to enhance number sense and mental math strategies
- Math games to meet the various of skill levels of your classroom
- Timesaving, stress-less ideas and daily routines to use immediately with your class
- Visual math models to help student build conceptual understanding of key math concepts
- A wealth of student-centered, easy-to-implement resources that deepen student math understanding
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators using models, games, and routines to increase math learning.
Whitnie Del Toro will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own math program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.