This event was recorded and is available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook for 90 days.
To verify if optional CEUs are available for your state: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Strengthening Your Students' MATH Learning and Engagement with DESMOS CLASSROOM ACTIVITIES (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Andy Malbouef
Specifically Designed for Grades 6-12 Mathematics Teachers; Teachers of General Math, Algebra, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Statistics; Math Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators
- Practical ways to enhance your math instruction using FREE Desmos Activity Builder
- Innovative ways to create and use Computation Layer in grades 6-12 math lessons
- Classroom-tested lessons and tips to increase students’ levels of mathematical understanding
- Receive an extensive Desmos Activity Builder Digital Resource Handbook and online access to videos, how-to guides, links and resources presented in the seminar
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This NEW seminar is specially designed for secondary mathematics teachers who want to more deeply engage their students with visualization and conceptualization of key math concepts using free Desmos Activity Builder. Experienced secondary level math teacher, Andy Malbouef will share practical, classroom-proven ways to build greater conceptual understanding using the Desmos Activity Builder platform. A strong emphasis will be placed on using Computation Layer in engaging activities, and also helping participants create their own Computation Layer through several build-along activities. Whether you are new to using Activity Builder, an experienced user or anywhere in between, you’ll leave this seminar with numerous practical ideas you can use immediately to enhance your math instruction. This unique seminar will focus exclusively on Desmos Activity Builder and will equip participants with many ideas they will be able to use immediately.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Strengthen Your Math Instruction with FREE Desmos Activity Builder Lessons
Learn what every middle and high school math teacher needs to know about fully utilizing Desmos Activity Builder lessons in their math instruction
- Accelerate Student Motivation
Explore engaging activities that spark student interest through curiosity and exploration of key math concepts
- Utilize Lessons with Built-in Computation Layer to Add Interactivity and Increase Feedback
Computation Layer is the tissue that connects exploratory components in an activity … Discover how this can be used to deepen student understanding
- Create Your Own Computation Layer
Learn basic Computation Layer implementation, a tool to help you accelerate your students’ learning
- Learn How to Create Lessons to Fit Your Specific Curriculum Needs
Not finding activities specific to your desired lesson? Learn how to create your own Activity Builder lessons to fit your specific math curriculum
- Strengthen Your Students’ Math Vocabulary
Get students using the math vocabulary they are expected to know using partner Polygraphs and prompting their written responses in Activity Builder using simple Computation Layer
- Help Your Students Develop a Growth Mindset for Math Learning
Design opening screens to allow students to connect with prior knowledge, build into newer concepts and finish with challenges to strengthen mathematical understanding
- Use Activity Builder Features to Explore Key Math Concepts
Discover the benefits of multiple modes of representation, with and without the use of Computation Layer
- Utilize Activity Builder Cohesively with Google Classroom to Make Your Math Instruction More Effective
Make your workflow and organization more efficient by directly tying Activity Builder to your Google Classroom … Here’s how
- Receive an Extensive Activity Builder Digital Handbook and Online Access to Videos, How-to Guides, and Links to Resources Presented in the Seminar
You’ll receive an extensive digital resource handbook packed with ideas, suggestions, and step-by-step instructions for using Activity Builder to enhance your math instruction
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical strategies for making best use of Desmos Activity Builder to enhance math instruction and student engagement
- How to access premade Desmos Activity Builder lessons you can easily incorporate into your own curriculum
- How to copy, modify, and use Activity Builder lessons with Computation Laye
- How to create slides using your own Computation Layer, developed in a build-along process
- Classroom-tested Activity Builder lessons for all levels of math instruction
- Innovative ways to utilize Activity Builder cohesively with Google Classroom to make your instruction more effective
- Proven ways to find, create, and share collections of Activity Builder lessons
- Timesaving tips for incorporating multiple component types, including dynamic graphs, tables, sketches, geometry, ordered lists, and more
- How to create your own Desmos Activity Builder lessons to fit specific needs
- How to help your students create a collaborative mindset through Activity Builder interaction
- Ways to use interpretive feedback, allowing students to evaluate their responses
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As secondary math educators, getting our students authentically motivated and engaged in learning mathematics can be challenging! Are you tired of students asking, “When are we going to use this?” or “Will this be on the test?” Do your students fear making mistakes or being viewed as “dumb” in front of your peers if their answers are not correct? Have you tried using handheld graphing calculators only to find students get bogged down knowing which buttons to push or what syntax to use? What I find so exciting about Desmos Activity Builder is that it has the power to greatly enhance our math instruction and help us address these and so many other challenges we face.
I’ve specifically designed this live face-to-face seminar based on my 31 years as a secondary math teacher. We will only focus on Desmos Activity Builder, with a healthy portion of the seminar devoted to Computation Layer, making this a very unique PD opportunity. This won’t be theoretical: I practice what I preach, and you will experience Activity Builder from a classroom teacher’s perspective. I’m excited to share with you how to make best use of free Desmos Activity Builder lessons to greatly enhance your math instruction.
I invite you to join me for a day filled with practical ways to increase your students’ understanding of key math concepts using Desmos Activity Builder. I look forward to meeting you at the seminar and exploring together how we can significantly increase student engagement using Desmos Activity Builder.
P.S. You will receive my Desmos Activity Builder Digital Resource Handbook packed with practical resources and instructions. Whether you are brand new to Desmos, an experienced user or anywhere in between, this day is for you!
Who Should Attend
Grades 6-12 Mathematics Teachers; Teachers of General Math, Algebra, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Statistics; Math Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Step-by-step instructions for using all elements of the Desmos Activity Builder platform
- Screenshots showing specific parts of the teacher dashboard with tips on maximizing student learning
- Suggested strategies for creating your own activities from scratch to meet specific needs
- Multiple examples of Computation Layer concepts to spice up your activities
- Links to other resources and social media connections to further your professional development
Andy Malbouef will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.