Powerful Strategies for Motivating Hard-to-Reach, Uninterested Students (Grades 3-12)
Presented by Sandy Stewart
Specifically Designed for Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Instructional Coaches, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators Serving Grades 3-12
- Proven cutting-edge approaches to help your hard-to-reach students experience greater motivation, engagement and self-control
- Practical ways to increase positive active engagement and decrease negative student behavior
- Innovative techniques to help your hard-to-reach students develop a positive growth mindset to increase their success in school – socially, emotionally and academically
- Utilize mindfulness to help students to better manage personal frustrations and reduce impulsive behaviors so they can focus on instruction and learning
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This highly practical seminar is designed to help you significantly increase student motivation and achievement. You will learn powerful ways to help hard-to-reach students understand and develop a positive growth mindset which can, in turn, motivate them to more deeply engage in the learning process, give their best efforts in school and persevere when they meet obstacles in their achievement. Outstanding teacher and presenter, Sandy Stewart will provide a compelling research-based rationale and dozens of specific, practical structures and strategies that have the power to help all students become successful.
By applying these strategies you can improve students’ attitudes toward themselves as learners, decrease off-task or disruptive behavior, increase your time to teach, strengthen student engagement, increase learning, and produce higher student achievement.
The focus of this seminar is on specific classroom practices that boost motivation and increase students’ ability to persevere, especially the seemingly “unmotivated” or oppositional students. The goal is to increase responsible behavior and motivate greater student effort and produce higher student achievement.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Increase Hard-to-Reach Students’ Motivation to Learn and Succeed
Learn practical ways to increase students’ motivation and desire to do well in class and school
- Help Uninterested Students Develop Perseverance
Incorporate specific ways of increasing students’ determination and passion for learning as well as changing students’ attitude toward setbacks or failure … Build the key skill of perseverance
- Develop the Powerful Drive Inside All Learners
Discover the fascinating research around motivation in the classroom that will allow you to cultivate and set up a physical and emotional environment where students truly want to be
- Help Hard-to-Reach Students Develop a Positive Growth Mindset
Learn specific ways to help your students develop a more positive attitude toward assignments, classwork and learning
- Inspire Maximum Student Effort
Utilize specific ways of creating the conditions for students to surpass expectations … Proven Ideas for how to best inspire students to give their maximum efforts and strive for excellence in their work and behaviors
- Incorporate Mindfulness Activities to Better Focus Students’ Attention, Increase Motivation and Reduce Stress
Learn practical ways mindfulness activities can be incorporated into your classroom to help students better focus their attention, regulate their emotions and make more positive choices
- Teach Hard-to-Reach Students to Better Understand and Manage Their Emotions
Self-regulation techniques are vital and need to deliberately be taught, modeled and promoted in the classroom … Here’s how
- Increase Student Learning and Achievement
Learn specific structures, activities and practices that increase socially responsible behavior, high-quality learning and student performance
- Help Hard-to-Reach Students Take Responsibility for their Own Learning
Gain specific strategies for empowering students to become self-motivated learners who understand their roles and responsibilities in the teaching/learning process
- Receive a Comprehensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each seminar participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook filled with practical ideas, strategies, structures, and activities on how to increase student motivation and success
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical strategies to improve students’ attitudes toward learning and themselves as learners
- Specific ways to help students understand and choose a positive growth mindset, one that inspires all students to give their best efforts
- Innovative strategies and research on mindfulness to help students better regulate their emotions, stress and anxiety, control impulses and persevere in overcoming obstacles
- Research-based, relevant information to help you understand what motivates students to give their best efforts
- Proven ways of creating a physically and emotionally healthy classroom environment where students will take risks
- Specific techniques to make sure students are active participants, not passive consumers
- Practical approaches to building positive, trusting relationships with students and creating a learning community where students want to put forth their maximum efforts
- Engaging and relevant instructional approaches that increase student interest and time-on-task and put the spark back into learning
- Effective intervention strategies that keep the student/teacher relationship intact when discipline incidents occur
- Highly effective ways to generate more time-on-task and inspire students to persevere and strive for excellence in their work and behaviors
- Ready-to-use resources to grow mindsets in your classroom
- Innovative instructional approaches that increase student motivation
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
My first 15 years of teaching were in an inner city setting where I realized very quickly that motivating students was going to be one of the greatest challenges that I was going to face. That was true then and it still rings true now in my 35th year of teaching. Very early on I began my own journey in not only understanding the complex and fascinating theories and research behind motivation but taking these big ideas and translating them into the practical application in everyday teaching. That was my passion then and it remains my passion to this day. Over time, I also began to understand how these concepts were so closely intertwined with building sincere, genuine relationships with my students, offering engaging instructional approaches and invitations to their learning and creating a healthy physical and emotional classroom environment.
Drawing on my many years of classroom teaching experience, the latest research and insights formed during extensive additional training, I have designed this seminar to provide you with an opportunity to hear about the latest relevant, meaningful research around motivation and how to apply this research to your everyday approach to teaching. I encourage you to join me in the highly interactive and reflective one-day seminar. Our day will be packed with cutting-edge research and realistic ideas and strategies that can be easily implemented into your fast and furious teaching day. I look forward to sharing my enthusiasm, experience and ideas with you so that you, in turn, can create the conditions for your students to become more excited about their learning and succeed.
P.S. Although the ideas I present are research-based, my goal will be on sharing the practical ways any classroom teacher can increase students’ motivation and willingness to give their best efforts both in and out of the classroom.
Who Should Attend
Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Instructional Coaches, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators Serving Grades 3-12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Strategies for increasing students’ motivation and engagement
- Proven approaches for helping students better manage personal frustrations, reduce anxiety and impulsive behavior
- Innovative ways to help students increase their success in school, socially, emotionally, and academically
- The latest research on how students learn best and ways you create a classroom that allow motivation to flourish
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in increasing the behavior and learning of their students.
Sandy Stewart will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.