WORLD LANGUAGE TEACHERS: Increase Communicative Proficiency Using Seesaw, Screencastify, Edpuzzle, Google Doc Mad Libs, and More! (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Catherine Ousselin
Specifically Designed for World Language Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Curriculum Specialists, and Administrators
- The best, most current classroom-proven tools and strategies for increasing students’ communicative proficiency
- How to make best use of highly engaging, impactful, motivating, and easy-to-use tools perfect for grades 6-12 World Languages including Seesaw, Screencastify, Edpuzzle, Google Doc Mad Libs, and more!
- Explore timesaving strategies and approaches designed to elevate your instruction and student engagement using any curriculum or teaching methodology
- Receive an extensive World Language tech tools digital resource handbook packed with unique ideas, engaging activities and classroom-tested tools
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This engaging, live online seminar by nationally recognized and current World Language teacher, CATHERINE OUSSELIN, is specifically designed to help you increase your students’ communicative proficiency. Discover dozens of practical, motivating tech tools to strengthen students’ language acquisition through presentational digital storytelling, interpretive listening and reading, and interpersonal speaking. Get hands-on and acquire not only the technical knowledge to incorporate a host of outstanding tools in your instruction, but also the curricular support and research to help you meet the World Readiness Standards for Language Learning.
Catherine will share practical tips, activities, workarounds, and strategies for thoughtfully incorporating technology tools to strengthen students’ language production and comprehension. Learn timesaving techniques for providing feedback and for curating authentic online resources. The focus will be on highly practical, realistic ways World Language educators can make best use of these engaging tech resources. Join Catherine for an idea-packed seminar specifically designed to strengthen students’ communicative proficiency in your grades 6-12 World Language program.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Increase Your Students’ Communicative Proficiency
Learn about the best, most current FREE and low-cost technology tools and resources for strengthening students’ communicative proficiency in your World Language classroom
- Increase Student Success and Accountability
Learn proven ways to maintain student motivation and accountability for online assignments
- Learn Essential Ways to Integrate Technology into World Language Curricula
You need not start from scratch – learn from a highly experienced and current World Language teacher and Digital Literacy Coach … Return to your classroom with confidence and knowledge to greatly enhance your curricula and instruction
- Support All Three Modes of Communication with Innovative Technology Tools
Explore websites, add-ons and mobile apps that will showcase student growth in writing, speaking and listening in the target language … Learn how to effectively and thoughtfully connect your curriculum to a multitude of highly engaging tools
- Design Lessons and Activities Supported by Proven Technology Tools
Explore practical implications of ACTFL’s Statement on Technology and High-Leverage Teaching Practices … Structure highly effective units that include all three modes: interpersonal, presentational and interpretive
- Increase Student Production and Confidence in the Target Language
Connect with and empower every student to demonstrate strong growth and language acquisition … Explore outstanding digital storytelling, interactive reading, and interpretive listening tools you can use immediately
- Promote Authentic Language Production in the Target Language
Explore tools that connect your students and their projects to authentic audiences and other language learners … Increase students’ engagement and ownership of their language learning
- Effectively Differentiate Instruction Through Meaningful Language Tasks
Design purposeful, authentic language tasks that highlight and support students’ skill development … Discover tools that can help you better meet the diverse cognitive needs of your students
- Innovatively Deliver Meaningful Feedback to Students and Families
Harness Google Forms and other feedback tools to streamline your workflow and more easily provide supportive, descriptive and timely feedback … Learn timesaving techniques for evaluating and assessing student work
- Receive an Extensive World Language Tech Tools Digital Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook packed with ideas, suggestions and step-by step instructions on increasing students’ communicative proficiency using Seesaw, Screencastify, Edpuzzle, Google Doc Mad Libs, and More! … Dozens of tips, ideas and resources to help you get started immediately
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Increase students’ communicative proficiency … How to make best use of Seesaw, Screencastify, Edpuzzle, Google Doc Mad Libs, and more
- Essential tools and best practices for “teaching tech” in the target language
- Authentic online language resources to enhance connections, community, and comparisons (ACTFL 3/5 Cs)
- Dozens of the best web tools, Apple iOS apps, and Google add-ons for strengthening your students’ World Language acquisition in all three modes
- Make the most of the technology you have – practical ways to increase language production and comprehension with one or many computers, tablets or mobile devices
- Interactive interpretive listening activities that are easy to assess
- Innovative ways to use Google Forms including for Mad Libs to strengthen reading and writing in the target language
- Activities and scenarios that focus students on authentic language use
- Innovative and engaging ways to use social media to connect students to products, practices and perspectives
- Proven techniques to engage World Language students and get them to take greater ownership of their learning
- Tools for providing faster and highly valuable feedback on student projects and activities
- Practical organization techniques and web tools to curate, organize and share authentic resources
- Empowering digital storytelling activities to increase students’ communicative proficiency, motivation and comprehensible language
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As World Language educators, staying abreast of the latest technology and great ways to enhance our instruction can be a challenge. We may rely on introductory-level online games that enliven the class but may have low impact on meaningful growth in language acquisition. We may think our students are “tech-savvy” but more often they are consumers of tech products, not creators. The good news is that I can help!
In our role as World Language educators we can uniquely provide our students with thoughtful, engaging and purposeful experiences using the target language so they can develop their skills in the three modes of communication. For over a decade, I have served as a Digital Literacy Coach for World Language teachers. I have designed this seminar based on the best of what I have found to be successful in my own World Language classroom and in the classrooms of World Language teachers I have mentored and coached.
Integrating thoughtful technology tools for all three modes with a variety of devices can seem daunting, but it is very doable! I want to provide you with concrete examples and practical strategies that work. We’ll focus on tools perfect for any World Language classroom to enhance students’ production and comprehension in the target language. I want to share products and projects created by my own students. We’ll explore powerful tools, apps and activities you can easily integrate into your curriculum to engage your students as creators using the target language. These practical techniques and tools are grounded in ACTFL’s high-leverage teaching practices and statement on technology in the World Language classroom.
I am confident that you will leave this seminar energized and inspired with a wealth of ready-to-use ideas and skills that directly connect with your content and practices. Your students will take pride in their language acquisition and growth, showcasing their skills, digital stories and projects in all three modes with an authentic, global audience.
I look forward to connecting, creating and collaborating with you!
P.S. The emphasis will be on highly practical tools and strategies that you can use the very next day in your World Language classroom.
Who Should Attend
World Language Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Curriculum Specialists, and Administrators
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 46 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Practical instructional activities using a variety of tools and apps that will increase student learning and engagement
- Detailed descriptions of the activities presented at the seminar that you can immediately implement in your classroom
- Sample applications of the strategies presented at the seminar
- Tips and techniques to personalize your students’ language learning using technology
- Lists of resources, relevant materials and supportive research
- Connections and applications to World-Readiness Standards for Language Learning
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in the best technology tools for increasing communicative proficiency in World Language.
Catherine Ousselin will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own World Language program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.