This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
To verify if optional CEUs are available for your state: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Best, Most Powerful Strategies for Teaching WORLD LANGUAGES (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Bryce Hedstrom
Specifically Designed for World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators Serving Grades 6-12
- Highly effective strategies to more fully engage your students and increase their motivation in your world language instruction
- Powerful methods to achieve ACTFL’s goal of at least 90% target language use that will work for you
- Timesaving tips to better differentiate your world language instruction and help your students attain higher levels of proficiency
- Proven techniques to create an inclusive language learning environment and reach all learners and are easy-to-implement
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This outstanding seminar by nationally known world language teacher, Bryce Hedstrom, has been specifically designed to help you more effectively teach for proficiency and achieve the goal of using the language 90% of the time. Bryce will present dozens of practical ideas to invigorate your world language instruction and make communication in the target language.
You’ll learn practical tips, activities, assignments, and strategies to more successfully engage all students, including beginners, in the target language. Bryce will present, model and provide opportunities to practice activities and techniques during the seminar. You will find out how to integrate students’ personal identities into the fabric of your class and make each student feel like the most important one in the room. You will learn new ways to ask questions and ask follow-up questions that will engage all students and let them get to know one another, like one another and respect one another better, all in the target language.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Learn the Best Practical Strategies for Teaching World Languages
As an experienced teacher who has successfully worked with students and teachers for many years, Bryce has developed dozens of proven techniques to more deeply engage students and improve their language acquisition … Walk away reinvigorated and inspired to implement a wealth of new strategies and ideas
- Increase Use of the Target Language
Learn a variety of strategies to increase the time both you and your students spend speaking the target language
- Learn New Ways to More Effectively Differentiate Your Language Instruction to Reach All Students
You will find out many dynamic, proven techniques to help all students succeed and feel good about your class … Learn quick and effective ways to check for understanding and provide the appropriate degree of rigor for all students
- Boost Fluency with Natural Language Use
Learn how to use language in ways that allow students to acquire elements of grammar naturally … Get your students to understand and fluently use grammar that was previously thought impossible
- Personalize the Language Learning Experience for Your Students
Find out ways that work to engage students by giving them the tools to talk about their own lives and interests … Increase engagement, minimize disruptions and enhance language acquisition
- Promote Spontaneous, Authentic Communication in the Target Language
Learn simple, innovative and effective ways to get your students to use the language in meaningful and personally relevant ways
- Learn from an Outstanding, Nationally Recognized World Language Teacher
Bryce is recognized across the country and abroad for his innovative ideas in world language teaching … As a classroom teacher, he knows what works with the constantly moving target of today’s students
- Enhance the Interpersonal Mode of Communication
Discover easy-to-implement ways to engage students in unrehearsed language use with role playing, pictures, rejoinders, and life discussions
- Learn New Ways to Deliver Cultural Content in the Target Language
Find out how to use “comprehended input” to teach the culture, history, geography and legends of the target language in your classroom … Use the language to teach content
- Receive an Extensive World Language Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive world language digital resource handbook with copy-ready materials specifically designed for this seminar filled with a wealth of practical ideas, information and activities that you can implement right away in your own world language learning environment.
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Dozens of the most effective strategies for strengthening your world language instruction
- Classroom-tested routines that will maximize your instructional time
- Three key strategies to teach reading in the target language to keep students engaged and able to read on their own, even in lower level classes
- Engaging ways to start and end class that save time, create a sense of community and foster mutual respect
- The no-prep reading strategy that launches fluency to unparalleled levels
- How to use rejoinders to spark rampant natural language use and keep students acquiring the language long after they leave your class
- Five ways to check reading comprehension quickly and painlessly with low to no-prep techniques
- Proven techniques to make content more meaningful and relevant to more students
- Techniques to create a classroom culture that breeds community and trust, builds proficiency, and creates the desire in students to continue to acquire the language
- How to choose the most effective reading materials for effective and long-term language acquisition to help students painlessly acquire the most challenging aspects of grammar
- Highly effective differentiation techniques that will challenge quick learners, meet average students and not leave slower students behind
- Ways to encourage natural speech with and among your students
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Some teachers seem to be born to teach. I was not one of those people. I always longed to be an effective teacher, but for years I honestly was not as effective as I wanted to be. With the help of colleagues and seminars like this one, I learned techniques that worked. Later, I developed many additional strategies of my own. I’ve designed this seminar to increase your learning curve and increase your teaching options by sharing what I’ve learned really works.
The focus of our day will be on practical strategies and techniques that will enhance your teaching for proficiency and boost your students’ language acquisition in equitable, engaging and effective ways. This is not theory for me – I use each of these methods in my daily classes. The techniques I will share with you are grounded in the current best practice of world language instruction, the latest brain research and years of practical application. You will get the kind of insight and advice that only an experienced teacher can give you.
This seminar will include practical ideas that will help you to continue to deliver compelling, comprehensible input to your student on a sustainable basis. Classroom management, reading strategies and personalization have become areas where I have been able to help teachers the most and I will share my best ideas with you.
I am confident that you will leave the seminar energized and eager to add the practical ideas you have picked up to your own teaching repertoire. You’ll leave with many additional strategies to create a learning environment that is proficiency-focused, humane and inclusive, where all students feel that they can learn the language and want to attend class.
I look forward to spending the day with you!
P.S. The emphasis will be on practical strategies that you can start using the day after the seminar in your own classroom.
Who Should Attend
World Language Teachers, Department Heads and Administrators Serving Grades 6-12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive world language digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- The key principles of communicative language teaching
- Effective personalization strategies that create trust among students and build a community of enthusiastic target language speakers in your classroom
- Simple and effective approaches to teach reading
- Tips and techniques to personalize your students’ language learning
- Concrete strategies for effective classroom management designed specifically for the world language classroom
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides participants a great opportunity to share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their world language program.
Bryce Hedstrom will be available for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own world language program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.