This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
To verify if optional CEUs are available for your state: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Best Tech Tools to Enhance Learning for Your ELL Students
Presented by Tricia Cecil
Designed Specifically for Educators serving Grades K-12: ESL Teachers, Classroom Teachers Who Teach EL Students, Paraprofessionals, Title I Staff, Instructional Specialists, and Interventionists
- Key tech instructional elements that will make any lesson more accessible to English Learners (ELs) with minimum teacher preparation
- Practical and effective online strategies to enhance English language development while making grade level content accessible
- Timesaving ways to prepare and use the best tech instructional strategies for EL students
- Receive an extensive digital resource handbook with practical strategies to increase the success of your EL students
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This NEW seminar is designed for K-12 educators who want to strengthen the learning for their EL students using the best tech tools and instructional strategies to enhance learning for EL students. Instructional Specialist Tricia Cecil will demonstrate instructional tools, strategies, and resources that accelerate learning for English Language Learners. Explore how to leverage the strengths of your EL students while minimizing teacher preparation time. Common classroom discussion, reading, and writing activities do not always successfully translate, but the strategies shown in this seminar will have your EL students participating more often, gaining confidence and developing language skills while achieving content objectives. Tricia will share her practical and timesaving techniques using a variety of the most cutting-edge tech tools to best meet EL student needs. No matter your experience level with technology or working with EL students, you will leave this seminar with a wealth of ideas you can implement in your classroom tomorrow. You will also receive an extensive digital resource handbook, Best Tech Tools to Enhance Learning for Your EL Students, filled with step-by-step instructions, templates, and other helpful materials to extend your learning after the seminar.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Learn Which Tech Tools are Most Effective at Each Stage of Language Acquisition
Learn how to use low and no-prep technology to facilitate English development while learning content at every phase of development
- Utilize Technology to Increase EL Participation in Discussion and Collaborative Group Activities
Incorporate more student talk into your lessons through a variety of online platforms leading to increased motivation and engagement of EL students
- Explore How Technology Can Help EL Students Build and Use Background Knowledge
Easily integrate technology into existing lesson plans that will boost ELL learning
- Facilitate Personalized Feedback Digitally with More Ease
Deliver clear, personalized digital feedback to students that they will actually use … Quick, informative assessment that motivates and increases learning
- Utilize Strengths and Maximize Learning and Motivation with Technology
Discover which tech resources help you uncover EL student strengths … Learn new ways to build on those to improve learning
- Make Learning 21st Century Skills More Accessible
Discover new, low prep activities that enhance creativity, collaboration, communication, and critical thinking skills online
- Learn How To Weave Culturally Responsive EL Instruction Into Your Classroom
Leave with essential teaching skills for designing environments for inclusion that will empower your EL students … Discover proven ways to foster engagement
- Provide Choice and Differentiation with Digital Templates and Tools
Leverage student choice and voice so that ELs are learning in their personal zone of proximal development
- Eliminate Common Technology Related Stumbling Blocks for ELL Students in Each Content Area
Ensure that students have a variety of tools to overcome language and technology barriers … Strategies ideal for any type of learning
- Receive an Extensive EL Digital Resource Handbook
You will receive a digital resource handbook specially designed for this seminar that is filled with outstanding strategies, tips and solutions for strengthening your EL students’ engagement and academic achievement
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The best instructional tech strategies to engage ELs during learning in grades K-12 using research-based techniques
- Learn how to weave Culturally Responsive EL Instruction into your classroom
- Learn what happens at each stage of English Language Development and discover important, low-prep scaffolds for each
- The most effective ways to offer differentiated choices to fit everyone in your classroom without increasing your workload
- Dozens of strategies to create a sense of community and strengthen relationships in your class while teaching skills and/or content
- Uncover your EL students’ strengths and how to better use them to increase engagement and confidence
- How to offer “unplugged” lessons away from devices and seamlessly blend them with the necessary online communication
- How to provide effective feedback with less time
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As a classroom teacher, I’m sure you’ve experienced the impact technology can have on learning. As an ever-evolving tool, it is sometimes overwhelming to keep up with the changes. In this seminar, I will demonstrate how tech can be used flexibly to meet the needs of EL students in any situation with minimal preparation in easy-to-use way, integrating technology into our instructional practices. Learning how to use specific, easy to implement instructional strategies can show you (or remind you) how rewarding teaching with technology can be. Not only that, teaching EL students using technology is fun and energizing!
As an experienced teacher with an extensive background in technology and instruction, I have specifically designed this seminar with you in mind. Whether you are new to using technology with your EL students or experienced, I know we all want to help our EL students engage and succeed. Much like you, my classes over the years have presented me with EL students of all learning types and backgrounds. Using a combination of tech tools and classroom-tested strategies, I can help you maximize your effectiveness. I want to share with you a variety of tech tools and teaching strategies that build community, improve academic skills, and increase learning. Let me take up the challenge of figuring out how to combine these tools with the instructional strategies you may already use. I would love to spend the day with you as we all learn the best ways to navigate this new, tech-centered learning environment our students call their classroom.
I look forward to sharing the best of what works and how to avoid common pitfalls based on my experience with ELs and technology. I will provide you a comprehensive list of tools and strategies as well as pro-tips to save you time and effort. It is my sincere goal that you leave this seminar excited about returning to try out as many of these practical ideas as you can.
I look forward to meeting you!
P.S. I guarantee you will leave my seminar with many outstanding strategies you can use right away!
Who Should Attend
Educators serving Grades K-12: ESL Teachers, Classroom Teachers Who Teach EL Students, Paraprofessionals, Title I Staff, Instructional Specialists, and Interventionists
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Step-by-step guides for all the practical and time-saving strategies presented
- Tools to help you improve your knowledge of your EL students
- Digital templates to improve student learning at all stages of language development
- Lesson and unit planning resources to save you time
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in using tech tools to enhance their EL program.
Tricia Cecil will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.