Helping English Learners Exit Your ELL Program: Impactful Strategies to Increase Student Success (Grades K-8)
Presented by Mary Peterson
Specifically Designed for Educators Working with English Learners (ELs) in Grades K-8: EL Teachers, Classroom Teachers Who Have EL Students, Interventionists, EL Paraprofessionals, Title I Staff, Instructional Coaches and Administrators
- Proven strategies to increase student success, maximize English language skills and help students more quickly “exit” from your ELL program
- A wealth of effective ELL lessons and activities to help students through each critical stage of language acquisition and keep them from getting stuck at the middle levels of English proficiency
- Innovative classroom strategies based on the best, current research to maximize your ELL students’ achievement as they overcome language and literacy barriers
- Differentiated lessons, motivating activities and an extensive resource handbook packed with ready-to-use, practical ideas and materials designed for teaching ELL students
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This outstanding seminar is packed with dozens of practical, ready-to-use strategies proven to increase the school success of your K-8 ELL students. The emphasis is on strategies and activities that really work, based on real ELL students in real classrooms. Mary Peterson, an experienced classroom teacher who has years of experience working with ELL students, will provide you with a wealth of strategies and activities to help students increase their reading, writing and language skills using research-based strategies designed specifically for ELL students.
In addition, Mary will share management techniques and step-by-step small group lessons and activities for each language level to help students more quickly exit your ELL program. You will leave this down-to-earth, practical seminar with an extensive digital resource handbook and easy-to-implement ELL teaching ideas proven to boost the language skills and confidence of your ELL students.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Help English Learners “Exit” Out of Your ELL Program
Gain essential strategies designed to build confidence and competence and help English Learners acquire skills to demonstrate English language proficiency
- Strengthen Your ELL Students’ Reading Achievement
Receive research-based strategies to teach vital fluency, phonics, comprehension and vocabulary skills to help boost reading skills and create motivated and engaged readers
- Strengthen Your ELL Students’ Writing Skills
Receive specific, step-by-step guided writing strategies for increasing the writing abilities of your ELL students … All designed with the realities of today’s classroom in mind
- Powerful Strategies to Differentiate for ELL Students in the General Education Classroom
Discover proven strategies which are most effective to keep ELL students productive and engaged in the general classroom setting
- Improve the Achievement of Your ELL Students in Content Areas
Learn hands-on, comprehensible strategies for teaching academic content and improving language skills at the same time … Help students see themselves as capable readers and writers, and facilitate success across content areas
- Provide Effective Small Group Lessons for Each Level of Your English Language Learners
Gain specific, ready-to-use lesson plans that you can use immediately to help your ESL students advance through every level of language acquisition
- Support the ELL Newcomer in Your Classroom
Welcome your ELL newcomers with dozens of ideas for keeping them actively involved and receiving comprehensible input from day one
- Incorporate Informed Assessment to Determine Language Levels
Conduct ongoing assessment so you can better match your small group instruction to the needs of your ELL students
- Build Positive Growth Mindset
Increase ELL student’s motivation, perseverance and positive attitude for learning … Gain approaches for reversing and preventing behaviors such as non-engagement in English Learners
- Receive an Extensive ELL Digital Resource Handbook
Leave this outstanding seminar with a digital resource handbook filled with classroom-based ideas, instructional materials and lesson plans, all ready for immediate implementation in your classroom
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Discover how you can make a rapid difference for ELL students’ language development and academic achievement
- A wealth of small group lessons designed to maximize achievement of each level of English Language Learner and decrease the amount of time students are in your ELL program
- Practical ideas to make your current curriculum comprehensible and relevant to ESL students
- Highly effective guided reading techniques and comprehension strategies to increase reading levels of ESL students
- Instructional strategies proven to help ELL students achieve success in the general education classroom
- Highly effective strategies to help ELL students grasp vocabulary understanding and grammar skills
- Guided writing strategies and graphic organizers to increase the writing skills of all levels of ELL students
- How to create a positive, safe and welcoming classroom environment for all students
- Tools to perform ongoing and informal assessments of ELL students so you can match instruction to their needs and help them more quickly exit your ELL program
- Classroom management techniques to help you work smarter, not harder
- Motivating ideas to make learning English natural and enjoyable for all students
- Techniques to integrate reading, writing, listening, and speaking activities into your current curriculum
- Cooperative learning activities to strengthen language skills of all students
- Cultural awareness activities to promote self-esteem and understanding
- Numerous exciting and effective language games which will motivate students to practice language skills
- Practical strategies to make content learning motivating and comprehensible
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As an experienced teacher of ELL students, I know firsthand the challenges we face to help our students achieve at the high standards expected of them. In this highly practical seminar, you will receive research-based strategies that have been proven to increase language skills of ELL students. I have seen so many students get stuck at the intermediate English levels and stay there for years. I will share with you highly effective and motivating strategies to help our students more rapidly “exit” the ELL program. I will provide dozens of collaborative group, whole group, small group and independent activities for students at each level of language acquisition.
We will cover management techniques on how to implement ESL instruction in a general education classroom, so you can work smarter, not harder. You will learn numerous games, cultural awareness activities, and innovative ideas to teach language skills across the curriculum.
Helping our ELL students gain confidence and competence as they learn English is very rewarding. Being a member of a culturally diverse classroom can be an enriching experience for teachers and students. You will leave this seminar with a wealth of highly effective strategies for accelerating language skills, promoting self-esteem, and creating a community of active, engaged learners.
P.S. If you want effective and practical ELL strategies you can use the next day this seminar is for you.
Who Should Attend
Educators working with English Learners (ELs) in Grades K-8: EL Teachers, Classroom Teachers who Have EL Students, Interventionists, EL Paraprofessionals, Title I Staff, Instructional Coaches and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- A wealth of strategies to enrich your instruction and help ELL students develop language proficiency, improve academic skills and exit your ELL program
- Differentiated small group lesson plans to improve academic achievement and language development for ELL students at all levels of language acquisition
- Graphic organizers to provide scaffolding and support in reading and writing activities
- Practical ideas to increase ELL students’ motivation and resilience within and beyond school
- Assessment guides and checklists that facilitate rapid growth in reading, writing, speaking and listening
Mary Peterson will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.