Catching Up Your ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS Who Have Fallen Behind
Presented by Jennifer Medina
Specifically Designed for Grades K-12: EL Teachers, Classroom Teachers, Instructional Aides, Title I Staff, Interventionists, and Administrators
- The most effective EL teaching strategies to catch up your English Learners who have fallen behind
- Specific ways to strengthen the grammar, reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills of your ELs to strengthen their achievement
- Practical methods for building your ELs' skills to prepare them for instruction in English and content areas
- Receive an extensive EL instruction digital resource handbook packed full of ideas, strategies, lessons, and useful resources you can use immediately to help catch up your English Learners
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Are you looking for the best ways to provide targeted, engaging EL instruction in the face of a growing gap in your ELs' academic achievement? Are you searching for ways to help English Learners who have fallen behind? If so, you won't want to miss this seminar by outstanding EL teacher, Jennifer Medina. The focus of this seminar is on the most effective instructional strategies. Learn how to provide the instructional supports necessary to meet each of your ELs right where they are and to accelerate their progress. Discover an array of strategies for targeting your instruction to meet the varied needs of your ELs.
With an extensive digital resource handbook and effective instructional strategies, you will leave this seminar with a renewed desire to make a marked difference in the lives of your English Learners.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Help Your English Learners (ELs) Who Have Fallen Behind to Catch Up
Expand your personal repertoire of teaching tools to help your ELs who have fallen behind to catch up
- Lessen Your English Learners' Gap
Increase your ELs' skills development … Quick, timesaving, easy-to-use techniques perfect for ELs
- Increase Oral Language and Academic Vocabulary Development
Engage your ELs in instructional conversations that will accelerate their academic language development in English and the content areas … Increase active student participation and engagement
- Employ Research-Based Accelerated Learning Methods
Learn how to accelerate second language acquisition through proven, motivating and fun techniques … Enhance and advance the knowledge and skills of your EL students
- Help Your ELs Make Greater Gains in Academic and Emotional Well-Being Using Family Engagement Strategies
Discover easy-to-incorporate strategies and family engagement strategies to boost 10x your students' results while also supporting EL families emotionally
- Keep Your ELs Engaged and Actively Reading with Culturally Relevant Literature
Explore practical and teacher-friendly ideas to engage your ELs and learn about culturally relevant books and book-matching to engage all levels of readers
- Provide Social and Emotional Support for ELs Most Impacted by COVID
Incorporate practical strategies for supporting the social and emotional needs of ELs who are anxious or simply need a little more encouragement and understanding
- Target Your Instruction to Meet the Varied Needs of Your ELs
Ensure your ELs receive the focused instruction specific to their reading levels … Target your instruction to individual needs through small group instruction, learning centers, workstations, and more!
- Make Content as Comprehensible and Accessible as Possible for Your ELs
Discover ways to build in supports to scaffold ELs at varied levels of language proficiency … Encourage your ELs to take linguistic risks while practicing the English language in your program and across content areas
- Receive an Extensive EL Instruction Digital Resource Handbook
You will receive a comprehensive EL Instruction digital resource handbook full of practical ideas, strategies, lessons, and useful resources you can immediately use in your instruction
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Innovative instructional strategies specific to meeting students at their reading and writing levels
- Accelerated learning methods and strategies to optimize opportunities for academic growth and achievement of ELs
- Effective ways to optimally support ELs who struggle
- How to increase motivation and student engagement to help ELs make strong academic gains in English and the content areas
- Exciting, hands-on, and engaging ways to enhance your current lessons to catch up ELs who have fallen behind
- High-impact strategies to help accelerate your ELs' content area knowledge and
- How to effectively help support the social and emotional needs of ELs who have fallen behind
- Strategies to create a language and text-rich environment to support ELs' learning
- Ways to scaffold and differentiate your instruction to best meet the needs of your ELs
- Ideas, Ideas, Ideas – outstanding strategies for increasing ELs' achievement and motivation, ways to best address multiple languages and academic levels in a group or classroom, and strategies to maximize the effectiveness of small group targeted instruction
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Teaching students who are new to the English language and our culture is extremely rewarding. It also brings many challenges to ensure that our second language learners are gaining access to mainstream curriculum and learning alongside every student despite the varied educational experiences and language levels found within one classroom. Add to this, the educational gaps from distance learning and hybrid, it is important for every teacher to be equipped with tools and strategies that are effective, engaging and practical so both the teacher and student can feel successful. With many years of experience working with ELL students in both mainstream and ELL classrooms, I have worked to maximize language development in the classroom and minimize barriers and challenges by creating engaging, ready-to-use strategies and activities that work in the classroom. Learning must be fun and motivating for ELL students during the difficult transition to a new language, school, home, and culture.
I can't wait to share ideas that will help you make your ELL students feel welcome back in their new classrooms and to share ideas that will re-energize you and your lessons. You will take home many lessons and strategies that you can be used the next day. These ideas are not limited to ELL students. As a matter of fact, many teachers will cross the hallway to find out just exactly what you are doing so they can use these strategies with their students, too.
P.S. You will leave my seminar with many outstanding strategies you can use across all grade levels and content areas and to address their affective, linguistic, and cognitive needs!
Who Should Attend
Grades K-12: EL Teachers, Classroom Teachers, Instructional Aides, Title I Staff, Interventionists, and Administrators
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 46 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Dozens of powerful strategies to help ELs get the most out of your lessons and catch up with grade-level peers
- Effective ideas for engaging students to maximize learning success
- Strategies for supporting the social and emotional needs of ELs
- Fun and innovative approaches to accelerate language acquisition and content area learning, and to make the most of your instructional time
Jennifer Medina will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.