This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
To verify if optional CEUs are available for your state: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
What's New in Children's Books: 2023
Presented by Deborah Salyer
Designed for Grades K-6
- The very best, new books most recently published, matched with dozens of innovative, engaging strategies to use them in ALL areas of your program
- A lively, fast-paced presentation with a wealth of multi-format titles that will spark students’ interest in standout stories and nonfiction they’ll love to read
- Receive an extensive, ALL NEW children’s books digital resource handbook with comprehensive, annotated bibliographies, ready-to-use activities, and corresponding websites that will make new books come alive for children in highly appealing ways!
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this highly engaging seminar, award-winning library media specialist and international presenter DEBORAH B. SALYER will highlight the best, NEWLY published children’s books, including picture books, chapter books, novels, graphic novels, poetry, nonfiction titles, and more! Deborah reads and evaluates each new children’s book, then develops fresh, innovative ideas to use them in all areas of your curriculum or programming. As a bonus, she also finds the best, new online tools and apps to pair with the books she shares. Many of the ideas, apps and online resources are applicable to other books, as well. From the dozens of books, resources, and strategies, you can choose the new books and activities that are best suited to your students and the priorities of your classroom or library. You’ll also learn great ways to use technology to extend your interactions with readers about books in ways they love to learn. Join Deborah for a compelling day filled with engaging, ready-to-use ideas, highly appealing booklists, her comprehensive handbook, and unique teaching tips to introduce and fully extend learning based on the newest, most outstanding children’s books. Engage yourself in an energizing celebration of the best, new books and powerful ways to use them with your students!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Preview the Best, New Children’s Books!
Learn from an enthusiastic teacher and experienced school librarian about the BEST of the most recently published children’s books
- Explore the Bright, New World of Nonfiction Books
Publishers are responding to the current emphasis on informational books and are responding with some of the best, new nonfiction books we’ve seen in years … Discover some phenomenal new books!
- See the Best, New Picture Books … For All Ages!
Nothing tells a story like a stunning picture book and Deborah will share the newest and best ones … Learn innovative ways to use them creatively throughout your curriculum or program with readers of all ages
- Hear About the Best, New Read-Alouds
Entice your students or patrons with the latest and most engaging read-alouds … Deborah will refresh your collection of great read-alouds and share them with you in her lively, down-to-earth style
- Tap into the Best Technology to Get More From Great, New Books
Strengthen your technology strategies that involve your readers … From book trailers to interaction tools, Deborah has done the work for you by evaluating the best web tools and apps to support your literacy program
- Discover Strategies to Link Great, New Books with Reading and Writing
Explore terrific activities and practical strategies you can use immediately to entice your readers to get involved in and stay excited about reading and writing
- Catch Up on the Most Current Book Trends
Hear the latest news from the children’s book publishing world … Learn about the new and developing trends so you can keep ahead of the game
- Use Outstanding New Books to Implement Your State Standards
Learn how to meet your state reading standards by introducing your students to outstanding new books … Find out easy ways to match books to curriculum standards with supportive, ready-to-use lesson plans – no matter what subject area you teach
- Address Diversity and Inclusion with New Books and Awards
Discover books with diverse characters that allow your readers to see themselves in the literature … Hear about the awards that celebrate diversities in culture, ethnicity and ability
- Books They Will Love to Read!
Discover NEW books that are sure to entice young readers and captivate their diverse interests … Plus, you’ll receive an extensive digital resource handbook with annotated book lists and loaded with hundreds of engaging tips, tools and innovative ideas
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The best, new books and dozens of highly engaging, practical strategies to fully involve students in the books they’ll love to read
- Proven ways to integrate the best, new books into your curriculum or program
- Highly-motivating websites, apps and online resources to pair with the most outstanding new books
- How to use terrific, new books that support your state standards
- Tips and demonstrations for delivering read-alouds with energy and enthusiasm
- How to connect to authors and illustrators with little or no budget
- Practical strategies for interactive teaching using new apps and websites
- Highly motivating ways to use the best, new picture books in your teaching and programming
- Hot new ways to use booktalks to sell a book
- Fundraising ideas and money-saving strategies to help make the most of your book budget
- Practical, exciting ideas to use new books to engage all readers – regardless of ability
- Proven ways to instill a real love of literature in your students
- How to choose the best, new books even with the leanest budget
- Resources for discovering potentially sensitive areas in books
- Innovative ideas to update your classroom or library with alternative formats and genres of books to stimulate your readers
- A wealth of new books, ready-to-use tools and the best, new digital resources to enrich reading instruction
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Thousands of books are published yearly. So many books, so little time! How do you find the best titles to meet the needs of your readers while supporting your curriculum? Which books best support your programming? Perhaps I have the answer – a day filled with hot-off-the-press books, resources, and strategies for grades K-6.
As I prepare for this seminar, I read hundreds of new books, selecting the best books your readers will most enjoy. Throughout our day together, be prepared to cry, laugh, and learn amazing facts from the new titles we discuss. Most participants create their wish list during the seminar, but then stop by the bookstore on their way home! (Remember, you can put books on hold at your public library, too). You’ll be loaded with ideas to use the next day.
My NEW seminar offers hundreds of titles for grades K-6 in multiple reading levels, subject areas, and interests. It’s important for a child to see himself and others in what he reads, so we will look at new, diverse and #OwnVoice titles. From wordless books to chapter books, and graphic novels to nonfiction, this year’s selections also feature incredible debut authors and illustrators. I will showcase some of our favorite authors, too! And this year’s nonfiction is better than ever. Classroom and content area teachers – you will easily be able to incorporate these terrific books into your curriculum. No matter your literacy support role, you’ll also learn about ready-to-use resources that will help you teach the books or use them in your programming or class instruction. In many cases, the lesson plans and activity kits are already written for you!
In 2020, distance teaching became the new norm. In this year’s seminar, we will use what we learned to hone our expertise in teaching and technology. We will also explore free online resources that enrich the reading experience and support your curriculum.
The accompanying digital resource handbook is far from being just a list of books; it’s full of supportive hot links and resources you can read at your leisure. You’ll find yourself using your handbook long after we part.
Reading is fun and together we can create lifelong readers! I look forward to seeing you at this fun and inspirational seminar where we will immerse ourselves in the amazing world of the best of new children’s literature!
Deborah B. Salyer
P.S. Come ready to enjoy a fast-paced day full of outstanding new books – plus powerful tools and innovative activities to use with them.
Who Should Attend
K-6 Classroom Teachers, Media Specialists, Librarians, Children’s Librarians in Public Libraries, Library Aides, Reading Specialists, Resource Teachers, Special Education Staff, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- A wealth of the best, NEW titles of recently published books
- Exciting and creative ways to utilize the books in your classroom or library program
- Numerous practical activities and resources that extend the effectiveness of the new books Deborah shares
- Valuable lists of websites and tools to use with devices that will add interest and value to your lessons
- Highly engaging techniques to inspire students to fall in love with reading!
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in the best, new children’s books.
Deborah B. Salyer will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.