LIBRARY CENTERS/MAKERSPACES: Creating More Engaging Learning Spaces in Your School LIBRARY (Grades K-12)
Presented by Crystal Trice
Specifically Designed for School Librarians, Media Specialists, Library Aides, and Administrators Serving Grades K-12
- Practical strategies to incorporate more active, hands-on learning in your school library program
- Innovative ideas to help you implement work stations that make the most of your time, space, technology, and budget
- Proven techniques and examples of exemplary library centers and makerspaces from across the country
- Timesaving tips and planning templates to maximize your space and organize your materials
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this seminar, experienced school librarian, author and blogger CRYSTAL TRICE will share how you can develop a more engaging and dynamic library space and schedule that encourages students to create, collaborate and extend their learning in your library. Gain many cost-effective ideas you can use right away. Learn how to locate inexpensive resources, maximize your library space and tie learning centers to literature. Whether you are already using library centers and makerspaces or are new to these strategies, you will leave with a wealth of new ideas!
Join Crystal for an inspiring day filled with practical tips that will give you the tools you need to develop or enhance your own library centers and makerspaces. You will also receive a comprehensive digital resource handbook that has been specifically designed for this seminar, filled with outstanding ideas to help you get started with or to enhance your current library centers and makerspaces.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Learn Practical and Easy Ways to Incorporate Library Centers and Makerspaces that Will Transform Your School Library
Dozens of ideas, strategies and resources to help you create and enhance library centers and makerspaces in your library … Cost-effective and innovative strategies you can use immediately!
- Learn Timesaving Tips and Tricks
Learn from the experience of others who have created outstanding student work stations in their school libraries … Discover what worked and what didn’t, plus proven techniques and examples from exemplary library stations and makerspaces from across the country
- Increase the Effectiveness and Impact of Your School Library Program
Specific strategies for enhancing library centers and makerspaces to increase the effectiveness and impact of your school library
- Maximize Your Limited Time and Resources
You don’t have to start from scratch and spend hours of time planning … Use what you already have and add to it along the way … Crystal will show you how!
- Support the Creativity and Collaboration of AASL Standards and 21st Century Learning Skills
Learn proven ways to go beyond student engagement to build environments rich in creation, collaboration, critical thinking, and communication
- Reinforce Literature Connections
Deepen student engagement with books and authors when students are actively learning at library centers and makerspaces
- Making Time for Makerspaces and Library Centers
Discover strategies for creating time for makerspace exploration during your library’s busy schedule … Practical strategies for making makerspaces and library centers function efficiently within your busy day
- Making Space for Everything
Yes, you can keep your books and provide access to the learning tools your students need to succeed, and have fun doing it! … Identify strategies for organizing your learning centers to fit, no matter how big (or small) your space is
- Stretch Your Budget
Discover budget-friendly items that you already have on hand or can buy inexpensively, as well as the higher cost items that you’ll want to add to your library wish list
- Receive an Extensive Library Centers and Makerspaces Digital Handbook
Leave with a digital resource handbook filled with the newest ideas and strategies for creating and enhancing your school library centers and makerspaces
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The latest ideas for library centers and makerspaces and how you can use them in to enhance your current library program
- Time-management and organizational strategies to maximize library center use
- How library centers and makerspaces can help with behavior management
- Make connections to reading with library centers and makerspaces
- Ways to meet the AASL standards for creativity, communication and collaboration with library centers and makerspaces
- Dozens of library center and makerspace ideas you can use right away
- How to create library centers and makerspaces that work for multiple grade levels, saving you time
- Creative ways to teach students to collaborate through makerspace activities
- How to use design-thinking to help your students succeed academically
- How to most effectively use volunteers and student helpers
- Ways to challenge students to use higher-level thinking skills and to boost creativity with a variety of makerspace activities
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I had library centers and a makerspaces in my school library before I knew to call them that. Students could come to the library and create things using markers, scissors and glue. They used these simple materials to prototype iPad apps, create public service announcements, and teach each other drawing skills. There was a loud outcry on days I happened to run out of paper!
In recent years, more and more school libraries have developed extensive library centers and makerspaces, providing a place for their students and community to collaborate, design and learn together. I have researched and studied the best examples in order to provide you with the best, current strategies and practical ideas to enhance your own library program.
At this seminar, we will examine existing library centers and makerspaces together. We will learn what worked for them (and what didn’t!). We will also discuss how to energize your stakeholders and leaders for the project, how and where to gather creative materials inexpensively, and how to create a project plan that will maximize the space and time you have available. We will also examine the educational benefits of makerspaces and library centers, the importance of rules within your creative environment, and ideas that can fit a variety of budgets.
The bottom line is, your library centers and makerspaces should be purposeful, meaningful and support your school or community needs. I have designed this seminar to show you just how you can accomplish these goals. I will show you examples of outstanding library center and makerspace ideas and activities that are easily replicated in any school library. I will also share timesaving tips and ideas and how to effectively use volunteers to keep your library space functioning smoothly and with minimal time and effort.
Whether you work in an elementary, middle, or high school library, this seminar will provide you with the motivation, strategies and resources to start up or enhance your own successful makerspace and library centers.
P.S. This seminar will focus on practical, budget-friendly ideas that will help you quickly establish or enhance thriving library centers and makerspaces in your library.
Who Should Attend
School Librarians, Media Specialists, Library Aides, and Administrators Serving Grades K-12
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 45 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive makerspaces and library centers digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Practical techniques for planning, establishing and enhancing library centers and makerspaces in your school
- Ideas and activities easily replicated in any school library
- Real-life examples from successful school libraries to inspire you
- Numerous ideas for low-cost library centers and makerspaces
- Specific literature connections for your library centers and makerspaces
- Ways to use your library centers and makerspaces to advocate for your library program
Crystal Trice will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own school library program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.