What's New in Young Adult Literature: 2023
Presented by Cathy Andronik
Specifically Designed for Secondary Teachers, School Librarians and Public Librarians
- A comprehensive overview of the best, new books for young adults published in the past year
- Practical, ready-to-use ideas for selecting and utilizing the best, new young adult literature across your curriculum and program
- Outstanding suggestions to enhance and promote young adult reading
- An extensive young adult literature digital resource handbook filled with annotated booklists, ready-to-use ideas, genres, activities, and more valuable and practical ideas
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this outstanding, ALL NEW for 2023 seminar, CATHY ANDRONIK will share the best, new books for young adults, all just recently published in the past twelve months. Keeping up with the thousands of young adult books published each year need not be a daunting task! Cathy has done the hard work for you, reading hundreds of new YA books and distilling them down to the very best of the best. Cathy will go beyond familiarizing you with the best, newly published titles to share strategies for using these outstanding books in your classroom or library program. This daylong seminar will be filled with the best, new books, innovative and creative ideas, exciting curriculum connections, and news about authors that are all too good for young adults to miss. You will also receive a comprehensive YA literature digital resource handbook complete with detailed annotated bibliographies and packed with outstanding ideas that you can immediately use to motivate and inspire your young adult readers.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Preview the Best, New Young Adult Books for 2023
Thousands of new books for young adults are published annually … Discover and learn about the BEST of the most recently published young adult books and which upcoming books you should be on the lookout for
- Incorporate the Best, New Books into Your Classroom or Library Curriculum
Learn innovative, fun activities and strategies for utilizing the best new books for young adults to enhance content instruction and your overall program
- Identify Outstanding Titles that Reflect Your Diverse Students
Uncover the best, new books that reflect the diversity of the young adult population you work with
- Discover Current Trends in Young Adult Literature
Get the latest news on what is happening in the YA publishing world and how you can use these trends to get – and keep – your teens reading!
- Find the Best, New Book Promotions to Use with Teens
Build interest in new titles for your young adult readers using captivating author talks, book trailers, and more!
- Engage Reluctant Teen Readers with Fast-Paced Titles
Find out which new titles will captivate the interest of your reluctant teen readers
- Learn About New Titles in Favorite Teen Series
Learn what’s next in the popular series fiction your teens ask for … Find out how to keep up with the latest hot series titles
- Discover the Best, New Young Adult Titles in a Variety of Genres
Some of your students love contemporary fiction, while others can’t get enough mysteries – or humor – or graphic novels – or novels in verse … Discover the best, new titles and find something for everyone
- Examine, Hands-on, Dozens of Hot-off-the-Press Titles
Sometimes you CAN judge a book by its cover, back matter, and other elements you need to see to appreciate … Personally preview many of the latest and best books for young adults
- Receive a Comprehensive Young Adult Literature Digital Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive young adult literature digital resource handbook with annotated booklists, book sharing ideas and resources, and special online access to a Google Drive filled with electronic resources specifically to supplement this seminar
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The best, NEW literature to use with teens and to recommend to teens
- New titles by authors who have proven their popularity with teens … Gain ideas to tie these titles to the curriculum
- Practical and powerful activities you can use with almost any book
- A “heads up” on sensitive content … Learn ways to identify potentially sensitive areas in specific YA titles
- Debut authors sure to become your teens’ favorites
- Practical ideas, tips and suggestions for incorporating relevant teen books across all content areas for grades 6-12
- Nonfiction titles that support the need for exemplary informational text
- Innovative strategies and ideas for outstanding book promotions: a do-it-yourself guide
- The best, new books to motivate your reluctant readers
- How to get the most for your money when purchasing young adult books
- Utilize the web to introduce authors, gather book guide ideas, gain insights about selected books, and discover ideas for using new books with readers
- Discover hot, new fantasy and series titles … Stay a step ahead of the students who will ask for them
- Broaden your collection with titles that reflect the diversity of your teen population, with a concentration on “own voices”
- Tips to connect the right book with the right reader … How and what to ask to help make those connections
- Creative projects that combine technology, real-world skills and student creativity
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Throughout my many years as a school librarian, my favorite part of the job has been connecting the right book to the right reader and then watching my students’ love of reading grow. I love helping teens discover their own passion for reading and helping them realize that reading is “cool.” In my experience, providing lots of great choices and opportunities to read, and engaging students in their choices are important aspects of developing passionate readers.
I know firsthand what a challenge it is for busy teachers and librarians to stay abreast of the best of what’s new. There are literally thousands of new, young adult books released each year! I can help, though. I’ve been reading extensively and am excited to share with you the best, new YA books and great ways you can use them in your classroom or library program.
In our day together, I will help you hone in on the best, newly published titles that have the power to inspire and captivate the teens you work with – to start them reading and keep them reading. I will share titles you can use to teach empathy, history, community, science, and more! I will share books that are exciting, funny, scary, thought-provoking, adventuresome, and romantic.
I’ll include lots of ideas for ways to incorporate the newest young adult books into your curriculum, whether it’s for an entire unit or a five-minute activity. From graphic novels to entice reluctant readers, to audiobooks to include teens with different learning styles, to titles to challenge your advanced readers, I will introduce you to something new for every teen who relies on your informed choices for his or her next great read.
Be prepared to spend a day doing what book lovers love to do – learning about books, talking about books, reviewing books, and sharing ideas related to books. If you are looking for high-quality books and ideas with lots of teen appeal, this day is for you! I will go above and beyond the book talks themselves to show you how these books can enhance your classroom or library program.
I look forward to spending the day with you!
P.S. Are you a tire-kicker when you car shop? You will love the chance to take a close look and personally preview many of books we’re discussing!
Who Should Attend
Secondary Teachers, School Librarians and Public Librarians
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 45 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to great, new books and strategies for using them. The handbook includes:
- Ready-to-use activities and resources so you can immediately incorporate the best, new books for teens into your program
- Extensive genre-oriented annotated bibliographies
- High- and low-tech book-sharing ideas and resources
- Websites that enhance the reading experience for teens and keep you up to date
- Special online access to a Google Drive filled with digital resources, specifically to supplement this seminar
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.