This event will be recorded and available to take online at your convenience.
You'll have access to the entire course and to the extensive digital resource handbook.
To verify if optional CEUs are available for your state: Visit - www.ber.org/ceus
Optional Graduate Credits: Visit - www.ber.org/seminars/credit/university.cfm
Specifically Designed for K-6 District and School Leaders and Leadership Teams: District Curriculum Coordinators, ELL Directors, Principals, Literacy Coaches, ELL Specialists and Classroom Teachers
- Highly practical techniques and activities to prevent ELL students from becoming “stuck” at intermediate levels of English proficiency and help them more rapidly exit your ELL program
- Learn the key components of the most exemplary ELL programs that increase the success of English Language Learners in small group instruction and in the general classroom
- Organize your ELL program around highly practical ideas, activities, and lessons to strengthen and develop the reading and writing skills of ELL students
- Innovative classroom strategies based on the best, current research to enable ELLs to become more confident, engaged students who overcome language and literacy barriers
A Practical, Two-Day Institute Focused on Increasing Achievement of ELL Students and Helping Them Exit Your ELL Program
Plan to attend as a school or district team, a representative team member or district leader to increase the effectiveness of your ELL program. You will learn how to build on the success of your current program, identify the key components that have the greatest impact on the achievement of ELL students and find the specific areas you need to target for implementation and improvement. Leave equipped with a wealth of the most effective ELL instructional strategies that will help increase the achievement and progress of your ELL students in grades K-6.
Develop a Plan to Structure Your ELL Program for Greater Results and to Boost Teacher Expertises
Discover the attributes of highly successful ELL programs and how you can use these in your own program, including building teacher instructional expertise in working with ELL students. Gain dozens of practical, instructional strategies you can use immediately with your students. During the two days, you will learn how to better serve ELL students in the general education classroom as well as in a pull-out model. You will learn key strategies to lead and teach other educators to implement effective instructional practices that work with your ELL population. Don’t miss this unique two-day opportunity to strenghten the achievement of your ELL students and exit them from your ELL program.
Specific Topics … Here’s What You Will Learn ...
- Key components of exemplary EL programs that increase your ELL students’ learning … Implications for your own school or district program
- Highly effective strategies and routines to decrease the amount of time students are in your ELL program
- Highly effective guided reading techniques and comprehension strategies to increase reading levels of ELL students
- Planning and teaching just-right small group language, reading and writing lessons based on the needs and strengths of EL students
- Instructional strategies proven to help ELL students achieve greater success in the general education classroom
- Tried and tested strategies to help ELL students better grasp vocabulary understanding and grammar skills
- How to create a more positive, safe and welcoming classroom environment for all your ELL students
- A wealth of small group lessons designed to maximize achievement of each level of English language learner
- Tools to perform ongoing and informal assessments of ELL students so you can match instruction to their needs
- Motivating ideas to make learning English natural and enjoyable for all students
- Techniques to integrate reading, writing, listening, and speaking activities into the current curriculum
- Cooperative learning activities to strengthen language skills of all students
- Engaging, high-impact strategies to increase motivation and time on-task for ELs – whether you are teaching at school or online
- Numerous fun and exciting language-building games and activities
- What highly effective teachers know and do when working with ELL students
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As an experienced teacher of ELL students, I know firsthand the challenges we face to help our students achieve at the high standards expected of them. In this highly practical institute, you will receive research-based strategies that have been proven to strengthen language skills of ELL students. I have seen so many students get stuck at the intermediate English levels and stay there for years. I will share with you highly effective and motivating strategies to help our students more rapidly “exit” the ELL program. I will provide dozens of cooperative group, whole group, small group and independent activities to motivate and engage students at each level of language acquisition. You will learn numerous games, engaging activities, and innovative ideas to teach language skills across the curriculum.
Helping our ELL students gain confidence and competence as they learn English can be very rewarding. Being a member of a culturally diverse classroom can be an enriching experience for teachers and students. You will leave this institute with a wealth of highly effective and practical strategies for accelerating language skills, promoting self-esteem, and creating a community of active, engaged learners. Let me share what I have learned with you, so that you can also experience the rewards of helping your ELL students make more rapid progress. “Exiting” students from your ELL program because they have acquired English language proficiency is the best kind of caseload reduction there is! You’ll leave this institute feeling invigorated and equipped with a toolbox full of ideas, resources and strategies you can use immediately. I look forward to meeting you at the institute!
P.S. You will leave this institute with an extensive digital resource handbook and dozens of use-tomorrow strategies, and a renewed desire to make a significant difference in the lives of your English Learners.
Who Should Attend
K-6 District and School Leaders and Leadership Teams: District Curriculum Coordinators, ELL Directors, Principals, Literacy Coaches, ELL Specialists and Classroom Teachers
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- How to create an effective ELL program in the general classroom as well as in small group classrooms
- Step-by-step instructional strategies to enhance language skills
- Lesson plan formats
- Assessment guides and checklists
- Graphic organizers for reading and writing activities
- Links to several digital resources
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This institute provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in helping English Learners exit their ELL programs.
Mary Peterson will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.