Helping Your Struggling Readers Who Have Fallen Behind (Grades 3-6)
Presented by Annemarie Johnson
Specifically Designed for Grades 3-6: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Special Education Staff, Instructional Assistants, Interventionists, Title I Staff, and Administrators
- The most effective reading instruction strategies to catch up your students who have fallen behind in reading – perfect for starting the 2021-22 school year strong
- Proven instructional and intervention strategies that will support your struggling readers in achieving greater success
- Dozens of practical ideas, activities and tips for accelerating progress for students who have fallen behind in reading
- Receive an extensive digital resource handbook and online special resources packed with targeted reading interventions, instructional tools, and resources you can use right away to catch up your reading students
Practical Ideas and Strategies
How can you provide targeted, engaging reading instruction in the face of a growing gap in your students' reading achievement due to COVID-19? Do you have too many grades 3-6 students who have fallen behind in reading? If so, you won't want to miss this seminar by outstanding teacher, Annemarie Johnson. The focus of this live online seminar is on the most effective, innovative instructional strategies designed specifically for catching up students who have fallen behind in reading – perfect for getting your 2021-22 school year off to a strong start.
Learn practical ways to pinpoint the myriad ways a reader might struggle and explore dozens of effective strategies and tips for better meeting your readers' individual learning needs. Discover innovative, ready-to-use strategies designed to build independence and motivate your struggling readers to read more. You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook filled with effective, use-tomorrow ideas, materials, and strategies specifically for helping catch up your students who have fallen behind in reading.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Help Your Struggling Readers Who Have Fallen Behind to Catch Up
Accelerate the learning of your grades 3-6 reading students … Expand your personal repertoire of teaching tools to help your students who have fallen behind in reading to catch up
- Start the Year Strong and Lessen Your Reading Students' COVID Gap
Use targeted interventions to meet students where they are and move them toward grade level standards … Start fall 2021 strong and lessen the COVID gap with timesaving, easy-to-use techniques perfect for your grades 3-6 reading students
- Discover the Secrets to Making Your Reading Instruction Stick
Explore strategies for making your literacy instruction more explicit, engaging, and permanent … Learn "stickiness principles" that will work well for all your learners
- Teach Reading Like a Doctor!
Learn how to diagnose a variety of reading ailments … Create treatment plans that address specific needs … Accelerate the reading achievement of your students who have fallen behind with powerful formative assessments
- Optimize Literacy Instruction for Your Struggling Readers
Learn dozens of engaging strategies to dramatically increase the impact of your reading instruction … Help your struggling readers achieve greater success
- Leverage the Gradual Release of Responsibility
Discover practical ways to optimally scaffold and support your struggling readers … Effectively model what proficient readers do … Make best use of high-impact coaching strategies to accelerate struggling readers' success
- Effectively Differentiate for Students' Specific Learning Needs
Help your students who have fallen behind by responsively addressing grade-level reading goals … Discover timesaving, practical tools and resources for differentiating to support students' unique learning needs
- Discover the Link Between Motivation and Reading Achievement
Learn what the research says about motivation and why it matters for our readers who have fallen behind … Increase your students' reading motivation and in turn, their reading achievement
- Accelerate Progress for Struggling Readers Using Varied Approaches
Take a comprehensive approach to tackling reading deficiencies … Use a variety of methods and a combination of whole group, small group, and individualized instruction to meet students' needs
- Receive an Extensive Reading Instruction Digital Resource Handbook and Special Online Access
You'll receive an extensive reading instruction digital resource handbook, packed with targeted reading interventions and a wealth of strategies that can be implemented immediately in any instructional setting … Receive special online access to Annemarie's growing library of digital resources – designed specifically for this seminar
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Innovative instructional strategies to catch up your students who have fallen behind in reading – perfect for getting your 2021-22 school year off to a great start
- Numerous ideas, strategies, and demonstrations to strengthen and enrich your current reading program
- Step-by-step ways to assess struggling readers and create treatment plans to address individual needs
- The secret to making reading instruction more explicit for your readers who have fallen behind
- How to anticipate the variety of ways readers struggle and to proactively differentiate your instruction accordingly
- Successful techniques for making in-the-head reading processes visible for struggling readers
- Practical tips for breaking reading skills down into step-by-step strategies to accelerate progress for students who have fallen behind
- Strategies for shoring up foundational skills including phonological awareness, phonics, and reading fluency
- Outstanding professional resources, websites, and videos perfect for strengthening your reading instruction for struggling readers
- Ideas, Ideas, Ideas – ways to target and address struggling readers at their level, how to make the most of read-alouds, the secrets to make your reading instruction stick, methods to motivate and engage your most reluctant readers, and more!
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Meeting the needs of our struggling readers has always been a daunting task. In COVID, this task has been compounded as many students' reading development was interrupted in a variety of ways. Catching up students who have fallen behind is certainly a challenge, but it is NOT insurmountable! Given the high-quality, targeted, and differentiated instruction they need, struggling readers can get back on track.
That is what this day is all about! As we prepare for the strongest possible start to the 2021-22 school year, the knowledge, strategies, activities, and assessments you gather in this live online seminar will help you teach your struggling students to be more successful readers.
During our day together I will share powerful, effective strategies that will empower both you and your grades 3-6 students. Some of the topics we will explore include:
- Assessing the ways in which readers struggle (they don't all struggle in the same way!)
- Creating powerful differentiated instruction that meets the needs of all learners
- Making best use of a gradual release of responsibility model to scaffold and move struggling readers toward independence
- Ensuring our reading instruction is explicit, engaging, and will stick!
It is my goal that you leave this seminar with renewed enthusiasm and a passion for meeting the needs of all readers, but especially those who have fallen behind. I hope you will join me for a day that promises to be dynamic, fast-paced, and packed with practical ideas!
P.S. You will leave this seminar energized and armed with practical strategies to use immediately with your own grades 3-6 students – perfect for getting this new school year off to a great start!
Who Should Attend
Grades 3-6: Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Special Education Staff, Instructional Assistants, Interventionists, Title I Staff, and Administrators
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Proven instructional and intervention strategies that will support your struggling readers in achieving greater success – perfect for getting the 2021-22 school year off to a strong start
- Dozens of ideas, activities, tips for accelerating progress for students who have fallen behind
- Engaging ways to scaffold instruction for struggling readers through explicit teaching, modeling, and gradual release of responsibility
- A variety of assessments to determine specifically how your grades 3-6 readers struggle
- Highly effective tips for motivating and inspiring struggling and reluctant readers
- Receive special access to online resources packed with targeted reading interventions
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in catching up struggling readers who have fallen behind.
Annemarie Johnson will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own grades 3-6 reading program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now