Using Gamification to Increase Student Learning in Your Grades 6-12 Math Classroom
Presented by Rachel Mane
Specifically Designed for Grades 6-12 Math Teachers, Math Coaches, and Administrators
- Dozens of practical ways to increase student engagement through gamification whether learning online or in-person
- Save time and more easily manage feedback and assessment
- Classroom tested strategies to increase student learning and deepen understanding whether you are in-person or teaching virtually
- Build student confidence through easy-to-create games
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Have you heard of gamification but aren't exactly sure how to use it to strengthen math learning? Are you using gamification now but want to expand it? In this NEW, highly practical seminar, Rachel Mane will share practical ways to use gamification in your grades 6-12 math classroom to increase student learning through new approaches for problem solving and collaboration. You will learn a variety of games and strategies using your current math curriculum and readily available resources.
Rachel will show you how to take an ordinary worksheet and transform it to into an extraordinary classroom experience where students will look forward to math class. Using classroom-tested, student-approved games, Rachel will guide you through dozens of practical strategies to use these strategies with high yield results. You can increase student learning in your math class whether you are teaching in person or teaching virtually.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Incorporate Outstanding, FREE, Ready-to-Use Resources
Learn new gamification strategies, concepts, and tasks that increase student critical thinking, problem solving, and perseverance through classroom-tested free resources that span all math courses grades 6-12
- Use Gamification to Grow Critical Thinking Skills in ALL Learners
Learn practical strategies to increase your students' critical thinking in math through gamification whether teaching online or in-person
- Increase Student Inquiry and Grit
Infuse powerful gamification strategies to promote problem solving … Strengthen resolve and grit in all students
- Foster Persistent Problem Solvers
Strengthen persistence in all your students … Learn new strategies that help students reach higher levels in grades 6-12 math as they develop greater perseverance in their problem solving
- Increase Student Engagement and Collaboration
Explore math games that allow students to approach problems using multiple strategies … Increase engagement, motivation, and collaboration whether students are in class or online
- Increase Qualitative and Quantitative Reasoning
Discover highly effective ways to increase students' justification of reasoning and reflection on their strategies and solutions
- Allow Opportunities to Transfer Knowledge
Increase opportunities for students to showcase transfer knowledge from previous grade levels, units of study and interdisciplinary courses as well as strategies and approaches to problem solving
- Extend Learning for Students, Enhance Conceptual Understanding
Develop strategies to empower students to expand their thinking and techniques to develop deep conceptual understandings through game modifications and extensions
- Connect with Your Most Reluctant Learners Build Math Confidence
Build confidence and increase students' self-esteem … More effectively utilize gamification to meet the needs of your most reluctant learners
- Receive an Extensive Grades 6-12 Digital Math Resource Book
Leave this session full of games and strategies ready for immediate implementation whether you're teaching at school or online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Use games to deepen student grades 6-12 math understanding whether learning online or in-person
- Increase student engagement through a variety of game-like activities
- Learn ways to modify existing coursework into engaging activities using readily available FREE resources
- Capture the desire to succeed in a game like setting and apply it to math class
- Increase students' critical thinking using gamification strategies and questioning
- Learn practical strategies to build a positive mindset classroom culture built on gamification ideas
- Build students' math confidence through tiered questioning and structure of games
- Use games to formatively assess students' knowledge and provide differentiated instruction
- Learn how gamification increases opportunities for students to transfer knowledge interdisciplinary or within a course
- Foster students' collaboration to deepen their learning as they engage in grades 6-12 math games
- Increase problem solving in students when they are challenged through a variety of games and strategies usable in either a classroom or virtual setting
- Allow for opportunities of critical thinking with games that promote a multi-strategy approach
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
There were days in my math class where students would mumble and groan. This low level of engagement had me questioning my teaching abilities and what to do. After several attempts to integrate gamification into my teaching, I quickly learned how easy it is to take a traditional worksheet and transform it into an exciting classroom experience. Even modifying these games to meet the wide range of students' needs was easy to do and had my students asking to play them again and again.
Knowing how easily any teacher can do the same led me to creating this NEW, one-day seminar on using gamification to increase student learning. As a secondary classroom teacher and a district math specialist, I am bringing experience from a wide range of math environments. From 6th grade to 12th, from Basic Math to Calculus, I am looking forward to helping you add to your use of games in your virtual or in-person math classroom. No matter the curriculum you are using, these classroom proven games and strategies will be sure to engage your students and increase their math learning.
During this seminar, you will learn first-hand how to implement dozens of games! You will learn ways to modify and adapt these games to your classroom and students as well as ways to extend learning. You will learn how to use these games as a pre assessment or formative assessment.
I am excited to share the dozens of strategies that have worked for me and I know will work for you. Get ready to learn about gamification, how it works for both in-person or virtual learning, and to have some fun!
P.S. You will leave this seminar with an extensive, digital grades 6-12 math resource handbook with games and strategies ready to implement in your classroom that will have your students excited for math class!
Who Should Attend
Grades 6-12 Math Teachers, Math Coaches, and Administrators
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Gamification Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Games with classroom tested variations ready to use in your program whether you are teaching in-person or online
- Resources of additional free games available to be adapted to your students' needs
- Strategies to build a classroom culture for gamification including social emotional learning connections
- Ways to increase student learning and formatively assess learning strategically
- Experience both digital and non-digital games for all classrooms
Rachel Mane will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own math program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now