MOTIVATION, MINDSET and GRIT: Practical, Proven Strategies to Increase Learning
Presented by Catherine Wilson
Specifically Designed for Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, Special Education Staff, Behavior Intervention Specialists, Counselors, Instructional Assistants, School Psychologists, and Administrators Serving Grades 3-12
- Ready-to-use resources to help your students develop a positive growth mindset to increase their success in school – socially, emotionally and academically … Proven ideas for in-person and distance learning environments
- Innovative ways to teach grit and increase perseverance that will maximize instructional time, reduce "I can't" language and self-defeating attitudes
- Proven tips and strategies that will inspire and motivate your students to develop a growth mindset and strengthen grit
- Receive an extensive resource handbook filled with an abundance of practical strategies, lessons and models designed to accelerate each student's learning and success in your classroom
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this outstanding seminar, Catherine Wilson will share dozens of practical ways to address the challenges of working with a diverse range of students and how you can help them achieve greater motivation, grit, determination, and perseverance. Throughout the seminar, you'll receive highly practical tips, strategies, instructional techniques, and activities to not only increase the rigor of your teaching, but engage your students in meaningful ways that will allow for greater connections and increased understanding. You will learn powerful ways to help students develop a positive growth mindset and a stronger capacity to actively engage in the learning process. Learn to help students understand the importance of effort and how to persevere when they meet obstacles in their path towards achievement.
You'll leave this seminar with a renewed sense of purpose, equipped with an expanded "toolbox" of proven strategies that will allow your students to become more engaged and motivated in ways that make learning more meaningful and achievable.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Help Students Experience Greater Motivation in Your Classroom
Connect positively with the most difficult students and breach their cycles of failure and misbehavior … Gain proven ways to increase students' motivation to learn and succeed whether you are teaching in-person, online or in a hybrid learning environment
- Increase Student Engagement
Learn how to use universal interventions to foster academic perseverance … Gain useful resources, tools and tricks you can use immediately
- Help Your Students Develop Growth Mindsets
Discover the difference between fixed and growth mindsets and how mindset directly affects student achievement … Learn techniques extraordinary teachers use to motivate even the most unmotivated students
- Enhance Students' Attention and Memory
Gain insight from the latest scientific research on how students learn and what you can do to strengthen your classroom teaching … Learn proven strategies that enhance struggling students' motivation, attention and memory
- Help Your Students Take Greater Responsibility for Their Own Learning
Help your students take greater responsibility for their own learning and experience increased success in your classroom … Gain easy-to-use mindset and grit lessons to counter learned helplessness that affects many of today's students
- Develop the Powerful Drive Inside All Learners
Discover the motivating and energizing effects of grit and ways that developing a 21st Century mindset can help alter a student's trajectory … Learn how to cultivate a classroom built on curiosity and increase student drive
- Increase Active Engagement, Decrease Negative Student Behavior
Learn specific techniques, activities and routines to increase active engagement, student interest and collaboration, while decreasing negative student behaviors
- Make Instruction More Meaningful for Students
Explore how the use of explicit, relevant instruction allows for increased success and understanding for students when applied to everyday activities and concepts … Here's how!
- Low-Prep, High-Impact Strategies
All students can succeed when teachers create differentiated pathways for different learners … Return to the classroom ready to put low-prep, high-impact perseverance strategies into action whether working in-person or online
- Receive an Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook filled with practical strategies and useful resources presented in this seminar
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The best instructional practices for students who struggle, including dozens of differentiated instructional strategies that support multi-tiered systems of support … Proven ideas for in-person as well as distance learning environments
- Ready-to-use resources to grow mindsets and grit in your classroom, including mindset assessment tools
- Practical approaches to building positive, trusting relationships with students and creating a learning community where students not only want to put forth their maximum efforts but enjoy learning
- The latest scientific research on how students learn and what you can do to motivate them to persevere
- Engaging and relevant instructional strategies for students that increase student interest, time-on-task and self-reflection
Specific strategies to improve students' attitudes toward learning and themselves as learners
- Tips and tools for effectively responding to "I can't" language or self-defeating attitudes of struggling students
- Research-based instructional techniques that build grit by providing scaffolding while supporting your students in overcoming learned helplessness, making progress academically and learning new skills
- How to create a culture of accountability with effective ways to increase students' intrinsic motivation
- Innovative ways to incorporate social-emotional learning throughout your classroom
- Easy ideas to replace worksheets with engaging and meaningful activities that will inspire and motivate your students
- Numerous ways you can turn your learners into critical thinkers, readers and writers
- Motivating individual and group activities to keep students engaged throughout your lessons and throughout their school day
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I know from my own experience that among the many challenges of working with students, often the most difficult is how to engage students who seem unmotivated, unreachable, refuse to participate, and disrupt other students. Many students have struggled for years, just don't believe they can be successful and that they are doomed to fail.
But all the current research confirms that humans are natural learners and that we are not limited by IQ or disability. As teachers, if we can provide the right environment to unleash students' curiosity we can produce increased motivation, engagement and time spent on task for all learners. We now know which elements are needed to accomplish this … We also know the value in explicitly teaching our students about mindsets. We can literally teach our students the skills to move from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset, changing how they think about their own abilities and responsibility for learning.
Students who have learning differences are often very aware of which tasks are difficult for them. They may experience frustration that can result in a lack of confidence and eventually low self-esteem. Students often make a decision about themselves early on as to whether they are good at something and about their intelligence. This is why the development of skills such as perseverance, resiliency, grit, emotional regulation, and optimism; along with providing the right learning environment has never been more essential.
It is my goal that this seminar will open new doors to help you better reach the needs of all your students using growth mindset, grit and motivation strategies. You will learn practical strategies that can be used immediately within your classroom to help your students. I will share proven ways to teach students how to increase their academic success and quickly become aware of their own negative self-defeating attitudes that get in the way of learning.
I look forward to meeting you and sharing many innovative ideas and strategies you can add to your instructional "toolbox" for working more effectively with your learners whether you are in-person, online or a hybrid learning environment.
P.S. This seminar is a MUST if you work with students who don't believe they can learn, give up easily, don't want to try without significant assistance or believe that they're just "not good at school."
Who Should Attend
Classroom Teachers, Interventionists, Title I Staff, Program Specialists, Paraprofessionals, and Administrators Serving Grades 3-12
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Key ideas, specific tips and numerous strategies for increasing achievement of students whether you're working at school or online
- Essential strategies for increasing students' intrinsic motivation and curiosity for learning
- Specific lesson ideas that grow mindsets and grit
- Practical approaches for increasing students' determination, ability to learn from failure and their perseverance
- Ready-to-use ideas to create an energized, engaged and motivated classroom culture built on mindsets
- Digital tools to help educators promote a rigorous and supportive classroom climate including resources, reproducibles, materials, and tools
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their students' motivation and positive growth mindset.
Catherine Wilson will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own growth mindset program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now