Cutting Edge Tools and Strategies for Teaching Science (Grades K-6)
Presented by Marjorie Porter
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades K-6: Classroom Teachers, Science Specialists, Instructional Coaches, Technology Integration Specialists, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators
- Practical strategies for successfully incorporating engaging and motivating science lessons into your daily instruction without spending hours of extra planning time
- Exciting practical ways to integrate science inquiry, content, and process into any existing science program
- Resources, lessons, and ideas that will strengthen and encourage creativity and innovation whether you teach in-person or online
- Receive an extensive digital K-6 Science resource handbook filled with dozens of ideas, tools, and strategies
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Without question, you have a passion and enthusiasm for teaching, but probably lack the time and resources necessary to research and develop practical science lessons that engage your students, increase their motivation to learn, and do not take a lot of your limited time. In this NEW, highly practical and engaging seminar, you will discover an extensive collection of ideas and practical strategies for Grades K-6 Science. You will leave with dozens of classroom tested strategies proven to motivate and encourage learners in scientific discovery and design. These new ideas and valuable resources will enhance science learning whether you're teaching in-person or online.
Throughout the day, Marge Porter, an exemplary science teacher, presenter and education consultant, will show you how to integrate the BSCS "5E" model, into engaging instructional strategies, how to access free, classroom tested tech tools, and how to create lessons that will motivate students and maximize their learning of science. You will receive a wealth of innovative ideas for including engineering, reading, writing, and math in your science instruction to enhance your students' ability to master essential skills and concepts.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Learn Ways to Stimulate and Sustain Student Curiosity
Obtain resources and ideas for actively engaging students in science topics and practices, whether you are teaching virtually or face-to-face
- Receive Tools and Templates for Helping Learners "Figure Out" Science Phenomena
Discover a variety of tools that will allow you to engage students with compelling, relevant, and puzzling phenomena … Practice strategies that will help them to develop explanations, make predictions, and reject misconceptions
- Strengthen your Existing Science Program by Delving into the "Practices" of Science
Become familiar with valuable tools that will immediately allow you to step aside as "facilitator" while your students ask testable questions, develop explanatory models, design investigations, collect and interpret data, construct explanations, and obtain & communicate information
- Discover Research-based Protocols for Helping Learners to Support Their Ideas with Evidence
Encourage your students to be active and innovative participants in inquiry-based classroom learning, using strategies to help them to develop and refine high-quality questions and support scientific claims with evidence and reasoning
- Learn Techniques for Integrating Science With Other Disciplines Such as Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, and Art
Understand how science can serve as a cornerstone for practicing and learning content in all areas … Learn how to provide opportunities for students to see how subjects are interwoven
- Receive Time-saving Tips for Finding Valuable Free Resources That Will Bolster your Science Curriculum
Receive dozens of ready-to-use ideas and resources that will help you fine-tune what you're already doing to save hours of time spent planning and searching for what works
- Explore the BSCS "5E" Model for Immersing Learners in the Process of Science
Get the tools you need to guide students through the scientific process, and view multiple examples of how it works
- Enhance Existing Lessons and Activities by Incorporating Engineering and Design
Encourage creativity and invention with meaningful activities that involve collaboration … Practice and learn simple strategies to engage your students in 21st century learning through exploration, innovation and problem solving – all key skills for future success
- Become More Familiar with How to Use Technology in Ways That Will Strengthen Your Students' Understanding of Science
Excellent free websites, apps and tools to help your students become actively engaged in the process of science, while also learning more about science careers
- Receive an Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive the extensive digital resource handbook designed specifically for this seminar that is filled with dozens of ideas, tools and strategies for strengthening science learning in grades K-6 whether you're teaching in-person or online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical tips and strategies for successfully weaving science into your curriculum in ways that will foster curiosity and wonder
- Dozens of useful, classroom-ready ideas and tools to encourage and strengthen science understanding through challenging and collaborative learning experiences
- Proven methods for helping children to explore the natural world and become "citizen scientists"
- Numerous step-by-step protocols for transitioning to a more inquiry-focused classroom
- Easy-to-follow strategies for developing phenomenon-anchored science activities, lessons, and units
- Unique approaches to encourage (and facilitate) the practices of questioning, investigating, modeling, designing, and creating
- Examples of useful applications and tech resources that will motivate and inspire your students in science
- Timesaving prompts for building progressive monitoring assessments that measure deeper learning
- Detailed guidelines for integrating the practices of scientific discourse and explanatory modeling
- Where to find outstanding resources for incorporating authentic instructional strategies that model real-world science process skills
- Innovative ideas for enhancing your classroom reading list with highly recommended science trade books
- The newest resources for fostering and maintaining student interest in science-related careers
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I applaud your passion and enthusiasm for science, a vital component to your already crowded curriculum. Like you, I consider science education to be essential! If you were to challenge your students to find one thing in your classroom unrelated to science, past or present, they would likely be confounded. Science is not only at the heart of
our students' well-being but is also a significant part of human culture through the development of language, logic, and problem-solving.
Today's K-6 teachers are on the front lines of an educational movement that is absolutely critical to our health, economy, and security. Schools are expected to take considerable steps toward preparing a workforce that will promote prosperity and innovation. What can we as educators do to:
- Encourage students to protect the natural world and lead healthy lives?
- Prepare them to make logical, evidence-based decisions?
- Help them consider science as a career?
- Recognize science fact when they encounter it?
- Find the time and resources necessary to research and integrate appropriate and engaging science lessons?
- Implement strategies and standards to have the greatest impact on science learning?
I will provide dozens of tools and ideas to help you address these important questions! During my strategy-packed seminar, I will share effective, research-based instructional ideas that are certain to energize and motivate your students. I will also demonstrate practical science teaching strategies, that will make you less of an "instructor" and more of a classroom "facilitator."
My goal during this interactive and dynamic seminar is to help you bolster your science teaching without having to reinvent the wheel. I'm hoping that you will leave feeling empowered to increase your students' science learning whether you're teaching in-person or online.
P.S. You will leave this seminar inspired, enthusiastic and ready to infuse innovative, cutting-edge strategies into your current science instruction!
Who Should Attend
Educators Serving Grades K-6: Classroom Teachers, Science Specialists, Instructional Coaches, Technology Integration Specialists, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators
About BER Live Online Events
With the current health challenges, all BER in-person PD events are currently being presented in a Live Online format:
- Outstanding Instructors
All programs are led by outstanding BER national trainers
- Extensive Resource Handbooks
You'll have access to an extensive digital Resource Handbook before, during and after your seminar
- Highly Interactive
You'll be able to ask questions in real time and interact with the instructor and other participants
- Program Guarantee
As we have for 43 years, we guarantee the high quality of our programs. If you are not satisfied, we'll give you a 100% refund.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Resources to increase student engagement and learning of science whether you are teaching online or in-person
- Numerous free resources, lessons, applications and templates that incorporate 21st Century Learning Competencies: Critical
- Thinking, Collaboration, Communication, and Creativity
- Research-based tools and strategies that will strengthen science teaching and learning
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in cutting edge tools and strategies for teaching science.
Marge Porter will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own grades K-6 science program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now