Increase Your Success as a Special Education Resource Teacher
Presented by Savanna Flakes
Specifically Designed for Grades K-12 Special Education Resource Specialists, Special Education Teachers, Learning Specialists, Special Education Department Heads, and Instructional Coaches who Support Students with Special Needs
- Maximize your expertise as a special education resource teacher … Strategies that work!
- Build on the success of your current special education practices with highly effective, ready-to-use instructional strategies
- Proven ways to strengthen your role as a special education resource teacher
- How to use Specially Designed Instruction to increase special needs students’ achievement and progress on IEP goals
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Working as a special education resource teacher is a challenging job requiring numerous skills with the overall goal of maximizing the academic growth in a variety of settings for students with special needs. As a result of the wide range of disabilities and skill sets of your students, you need a plethora of strategies and tools at your fingertips.
Join highly experienced special education teacher, Savanna Flakes, and expand your repertoire of strategies to accelerate academic achievement for your students with special needs. You will discover practical ways to develop and build evidenced-based practices and use Specially Designed Instruction to provide students with special needs meaningful access to rigorous curriculum. You will learn timesaving assessment tips, gain formal and informal data collection ideas and best practices to differentiate instruction.
By the end of the day, you will walk away with dozens of highly practical and effective strategies and an extensive resource handbook to help you reach your goal of reaching and teaching students with special needs.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Strengthen Your Role as a Special Education Resource Specialist in
Join special education expert, Savanna Flakes, and learn how to maximize your skills and expertise as a special education teacher … Ideas that work in a variety of settings, models and approaches for serving students with special needs
- High-Impact, Low-Prep Instructional Strategies for Students with Special Needs
Numerous, hands-on strategies to increase learning for students with special needs … Leave with a toolbox of practical instructional strategies that will greatly increase your students’ learning
- Provide Specially Designed Instruction to Ensure Students Make Significant Gains
Incorporate the three essential components of Specially Designed Instruction for resource rooms and inclusive classrooms and learn how you can better address the unique needs of your students … How SDI impacts what you do in both inclusive classrooms and resource rooms
- Develop and Deliver Dynamic, Differentiated Lessons to Accelerate Learning
Increase your ability to identify essential curriculum that all your students need to learn … Utilize ongoing assessment to adjust instruction to incorporate scaffolds that will support the varied learning styles, interests and ability levels of your students
- Assessment and Instructional Strategies
Discover a variety of assessment and instructional strategies to make students’ thinking visible to better support growth in academics and social emotional behavior
- Strategies to Support Classroom Modifications, Accommodations and Interventions
Ideas and strategies that help classroom teachers better meet special needs students’ IEPs … What you can suggest to make modifications, accommodations and interventions work in general education classrooms
- Activities to Ensure ALL Students are Engaged
Dozens of cooperative learning strategies to build social skills, retain key content and increase student participation
- Efficient Ways to Collect IEP and Classroom Data to Guide Instruction
Make the most of your time with more efficient and effective strategies for collecting the data you need to write and monitor IEPs … Specific ways to gather data to measure progress … Formal and informal assessments to quickly determine student understanding
- An Extensive Repertoire of Strategies to Work with ALL Your Students with Special Needs
Dozens of ideas and strategies you can choose from to maximize learning, motivation and engagement of all your students … Strategies to make your job less stressful and increase student achievement
- Integrate High-Yield Instructional Practices to Improve Achievement of Your Students with Special Needs
Seamlessly incorporate highly effective instructional strategies that better meet the wide range of needs your students have … Integrate best practices that provide greater access to the curriculum
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical and doable strategies to strengthen your skills as a special education resource specialist, special education teacher or learning specialist
- Dozens of Specially Designed Instruction strategies that can be used in the classroom immediately
- Tips for selecting appropriate modifications and accommodations to support the ability levels of your students
- Strategies to support effective social skills and meaningful cooperative learning
- Dynamic assessment techniques to collect rich student data and use to adjust instruction
- Specific ideas to provide scientifically research-based instruction that will enable you and your teachers to strengthen students’ reading, writing and math skills
- Ideas to help students with special needs to be involved in and make progress in the general education curriculum
- Tools and resources that support behavior management, self-regulation and executive functioning
- Exciting ways to use technology to increase academic achievement for all learners
- Practical differentiation strategies to increase rigor and higher-order thinking skills
- Formal and informal assessments to quickly determine student understanding
- Create rigorous, student-centered tasks that allow students to utilize their knowledge and skills across the curriculum
- Implement a wide variety of methods to engage students across a range of levels and disability categories
- Easy-to-incorporate ideas for facilitating and monitoring increased student independence across multiple school environments
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
There is an ever-increasing urgency to accelerate the learning of our students with disabilities and provide them access to rigorous curriculum and instruction. As this population increases and resources often decrease, I know and understand the daily challenges you face as you work to meet each and every student’s needs in resource rooms and inclusive settings. I’m excited to share what I have found works to strengthen your role as a special education teacher in your school.
During this unique seminar, my goal is to provide you with numerous strategies to help you seamlessly integrate high-yield instructional practices, Specially Designed Instruction and technology into your curriculum and instruction. Motivating reluctant learners, supporting social-emotional behavior, integrating educational technology to provide access to the curriculum, differentiated instruction and grouping, dynamic assessment, and cooperative learning are just some of the topics we will explore. You will learn hands-on strategies to increase your effectiveness as a special education teacher, build expertise and reboot your instructional toolkit to improve achievement of students with special needs.
Join your colleagues and me for this fast-paced seminar devoted specifically to special education resource teachers. You will leave excited, refreshed and ready to try new approaches and ideas to solve challenging situations. We will discuss real-life examples, and I will provide practical suggestions and tools that will assist you in accelerating the learning of your students with special needs. I extend to you a warm, personal invitation to join me in the continual learning and sharing work of ensuring student success. I pledge that you will leave this seminar with dozens of effective instructional strategies for accelerating student achievement and decreasing the achievement gap of students with special needs.
P.S. You will leave this seminar with a new way of looking at what can be accomplished with students and a wealth of practical strategies that can be immediately implemented in your classroom.
Who Should Attend
Grades K-12 Special Education Resource Specialists, Special Education Teachers, Learning Specialists, Special Education Department Heads, and Instructional Coaches who support students with special needs
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Ways to create a learning environment for accelerating student achievement
- Instructional strategies on differentiation, cooperative learning and literacy development
- A list of free technology resources to help meet the needs of your classroom
- Tips for effective assessment and teaching
- And much more!
Meet and Share
This seminar provides participants a great opportunity to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in increasing their success with students with special needs.
Savanna Flakes will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own special education program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four Graduate level professional development credit are available with an additional fee and completion of follow up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.
Can't Make it?
Related PD Resources
On Demand Video-Based Online Learning
PD Resource Kits