This event will now be presented as a live interactive online event.
Presented by Vickie Beckwith
Specifically Designed for School Nurses, District Nurses and School Health Services Coordinators Serving Grades K-12
- 21st Century School Nursing Practices – dozens of up-to-date best practices and evidence-based strategies to help you be more effective, efficient and confident
- Be prepared for mental health issues with strategies and resources to support the well-being of students
- Respond with greater confidence to school emergencies using protocols and procedures to help you be better prepared for emergencies
- Health care plans for chronic conditions – updated templates to fast track your IHPs, 504s and emergency care plans
Practical Ideas and Strategies
School nursing today can often be challenging and overwhelming. This intensive one-day seminar will help you overcome the speed bumps you face each and every day and renew your enthusiasm for this complex job. Vickie Beckwith, an exceptional school nurse with over 25 years of experience, will share numerous timesaving tips to increase your efficiency and effectiveness and enhance your school nursing practice. She will provide insight into the evolving and complex role of school nursing today along with easy-to-apply strategies to implement in your daily practice.
Vickie will help you embrace technology to advance your practice and keep current with the latest resources. You will discover practical ways to avoid conflict and communicate more effectively with colleagues, parents and students. In addition, you will gain insight and strategies that will enable you to comfortably support students with behavioral health issues and better manage emergencies and chronic health problems.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Increase Your Efficiency and Effectiveness as a School Nurse
Acquire timesaving tips and strategies on how to get more done in your work day … Numerous ways to strengthen your success as a school nurse and valuable school team member
- Fast Track Your School Nursing Process
Receive ready-to-use, evidence-based templates for common chronic health conditions
- Utilize Technology to Simplify and Enhance Your Practice
Identify helpful resources to improve your nursing practice … Learn how technology can save you valuable time
- Safe Practices to Deal with Life-Threatening Emergencies
Increase your confidence to manage critical emergencies in schools … Be prepared from the 911 call to the ambulance "hand off"
- Utilize Best Practices for Common Emergencies
Receive templates for emergency care plans and step-by-step guidelines to handle anaphylaxis, asthma exacerbations, seizures, and diabetic emergencies
- Eliminate Confusion with Care Plans
Recognize when to use IHP, ECP, 504, or other documents for day-to-day care of special needs students … FERPA and HIPPA revisited to keep you updated
- Strengthen Your Collaboration Skills and Prevent and Avoid Conflict
Gain tips and strategies on how to communicate and collaborate more effectively with colleagues, parents and students … Learn how to deal with difficult people including proven tips on conflict resolution
- Identify the Key Issues Impacting Student Mental Health
Gain an understanding of mental health concerns and the various disorders … Receive resources and guidelines on building a safe environment for your students
- Examine the Signs of Suicide Among School-Age Children
Gain a heightened awareness of suicidal warning signs and risk factors, including bullying and depression … Learn simple but effective techniques to provide therapeutic interventions
- Receive a Valuable School Nursing Practice Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with practical strategies, techniques, activities, and resources that can be used immediately in your school health office
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Up-to-date, best practice models, tools, templates, and resources specifically designed for today's school nurse
- How you can integrate evidence-based practice into your school nursing practice
- Practical tips to increase your efficiency and effectiveness as a school nurse
- Apply up-to-date behavioral support strategies for students
- Recognize risk factors and warning signs of mental illness disorders
- Learn to advocate for yourself and students
- Positive proactive ideas to work with difficult people
- FERPA and HIPPA revisited – managing for improved student outcomes
- Respond with greater confidence to a crisis
- Step-by-step guidelines for emergency care in the school setting
- Evidence-Based Practice – is it for you? Barriers and progress in school nursing
- Updated IHP and ECP templates to fast track your nursing process
- Recognize the vital role nurses play in prevention and promotion of emotional well-being of students
- Gain insight into suicide prevention and treatment
- Learn how to deal with angry parents, difficult staff and unrealistic expectations
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
More and more is being asked of school nurses every day. There are increasing numbers of students, more complex medical issues, new legal requirements, greater demands from parents, teachers and school administrators, and so much more. Frustration and burnout is commonplace. Don't let this happen to you. Join me and other school nurse colleagues to share stories and gain insight into what will help you become more successful and less stressed about getting it all done! I developed this seminar to address today's issues and provide you with practical tools and strategies to take back and use immediately.
My goal is to not only enhance your knowledge but also to give you innovative skills, strategies and resources to support your practice. Become more effective and efficient by discovering new strategies and tools to:
- Embrace the evolving role of school nurses
- Improve communication skills and avoid conflict=
- Master emergency procedures without stress
- Take advantage of technology in support of your practice
- Eliminate confusion with care plans
- Respond with confidence to behavioral health issues
School nursing is a unique and challenging position. The good news is we can all make a difference in the lives of our students and continue to champion the role of the school nurse in improving student outcomes. Join me for a fun, exciting day and leave energized and motivated to apply what you have learned in your own school(s).
Vickie Beckwith, RN, PHN, MSN
P.S. Join your colleagues and me for a day filled with new strategies and techniques to build on your success and increase your efficiency as a school nurse.
Who Should Attend
School Nurses, District Nurses and School Health Services Coordinators Serving Grades K-12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive a comprehensive school nurse resource handbook filled with up-to-date strategies, tools, forms, practices, and resources to meet the challenging demands of today's school nursing practice, including:
- Evidence-based practices for today's school nurse
- Time management tips
- Communication strategies
- Sample IHP and ECP templates
- Step-by-step guidelines for emergency care
- Valuable resources – websites, books, organizations
- Prevention/treatment options for behavioral health support
Meet and Share
This seminar provides participants a great opportunity to meet and share ideas with other school nurses interested in enhancing their skills.
Vickie Beckwith will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and address your unique school nursing needs.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four Graduate level professional development credit are available with an additional fee and completion of follow up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.
Can't Make it?
Related PD Resources
On Demand Video-Based Online Learning