TWO DAY TRAIN-THE-TRAINER INSTITUTE
Strengthen Students’ Receptive and Expressive Communication Skills to Increase Student Learning and Engagement in School
Specifically Designed for Preschool-Grade 12 School-Based Speech-Language Pathologists who train and provide professional development to SLP/SLPA Teams, Special Education Staff, Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, and UDL/RTI Teams working with students in Preschool-Grade 12 Classrooms
- Train your speech-language pathologists and educational teams in practical strategies that will significantly expand students’ receptive and expressive communication skills to greatly increase their school success
- Train your speech-language pathologists and support staff to use a wide range of interventions to integrate engaging learning activities that will enhance the development of receptive and expressive skills within the classroom, including speech, language and pragmatic communicative skills
- Teach others to maximize multiple means of representation, language and action that address communication skills for students who struggle with access to the curriculum
- Step-by-step guidance for training and developing collaborative educational teams to better support your students in the school(s) where you work
- Receive make-and-take strategies and electronic access to materials throughout the two days to provide you with resources to use immediately in your own training
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Do you want all students to have equal access to learning? Lacking receptive and expressive communication skills puts many students at immediate risk the minute they walk into a classroom. Unfortunately, the longer they stay behind, the harder it is for them to catch up with their peers. After just a short time, they begin to believe that they just can’t learn to read, write and participate successfully in the classroom. What if you could train all your staff to recognize and intervene with students who have trouble in school due to receptive and expressive communication skills? This two-day institute is designed exactly for that purpose.
To help you train your SLP staff and educational teams, popular speech-language pathologist, MariBeth Plankers, has developed this fast-paced, hands-on train-the-trainer opportunity you won’t want to miss. This two-day institute focuses on valuable, functional and practical communicative skills that students need to increase their engagement in learning and success in school. Participants who complete these two days will learn how to strengthen their students’ expressive and receptive communication skills and will receive numerous strategies and extensive resources to train other SLPs, SLPAs and educators.
A Practical Two Day Train-the-Trainer Program
Send one or more SLP(s) or an SLP/educator team to this training institute and they will return to your school with professional development strategies and resources to support and train other speech-language pathologists, speech-language pathology assistants, special education staff, classroom teachers, intervention specialists, and educational teams to integrate practical strategies to decrease communication barriers and increase learning for students who struggle with communication skills. Participants will learn:
- Therapeutic communication intervention strategies that work within the classroom and address functional communication that students need in order to read, write and interact socially with peers
- Practical strategies to decrease communication challenges that impede student performance
- Specific ways to integrate communication therapy into classroom routines and schedules
- Multiple means of learning activities to help students become more organized, independent learners – both in school and outside of the school setting
- A highly efficient toolkit of strategies addressing the changing student needs in your school or district
- Current, best brain-based research that supports the most effective learning styles, learning preferences, learning environments, and intervention strategies
This Two Day Train-the-Trainer Program is Cost Effective
If you are a speech-language pathologist interested in providing high-quality training to other speech-language pathologists, speech-language pathology assistants, special education staff, classroom teachers, intervention specialists, and educational teams in your school or district, this is the perfect opportunity. Attend on your own or with the team and you will leave with an extensive resource training handbook filled with tools needed for your own training, including a PowerPoint to adapt to fit the needs of your training session and extensive electronic resources. The focus of the two-day institute will be on training SLPs, SLPAs and educational teams valuable development and expansion of receptive, expressive and interactive communication skills that will greatly increase the success of students in school.
Support and Train Your Speech-Language Pathologists and Speech-Language Pathology Assistant Teams:
- Practical strategies to decrease communication barriers and increase learning for students who have communication challenges
- Dozens of practical communication strategies to help students prepare for critical and higher-order thinking in the classroom
Intervention ideas that you can implement with teachers to create positive communicative environments
- Enhance the effectiveness of student interventions by using the principles of universal design for learning
- Understand how to address a diverse caseload with a more global approach to the delivery of speech-language pathology services within a classroom setting
- Simple learning strategies to help your students work smarter, not harder!
- Use various strategies to help students identify the “big picture” and the details when composing written language assignments
- Strategies to support your standards as students access more challenging curriculum
- Strengthen the collaborative skills as speech-language pathologists in your schools while developing collaborative lesson plans for speech-language intervention
- Create successful teams by becoming a resource to your school
- Explore how change in culture impacts the development of functional communication skills in students and what you can do to address them
- Experience active participation learning activities to increase awareness of receptive, expressive and engaging communication skills
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As licensed speech-language pathologists we have so much to offer students that will significantly increase their success in school. We also know that if we could teach others what we know, more students would achieve at higher levels. But how do we find the time to put together a training program that will help other speech-language pathologists, support staff, classroom teachers, and entire education teams learn to use the wide range of interventions and learning activities that will accelerate the development of communication skills to use within the classroom and carryover to the real world? Join me for an extensive, two-day train-the-trainer institute that will give you a plan and strategies to train your staff in the communication tools students need to be successful in reading and writing with carryover to everyday life.
In our two days together, we will be interacting with a variety of communicative-demanding learning activities. We will experience stress-reducing teaching/sensory strategies to support learning with ease as we decrease our own stressors when learning, throughout the day. The active participation activities, a hallmark of this presentation, will provide hands-on learning experiences as we interact with receptive and expressive communication games, narrative storytelling, music, and movement activities that I have routinely used with my students across a variety of settings and situations.
My focus will be on sharing practical strategies that will work successfully in your schools. Come laugh, move and learn as I share many practical communicative strategies to increase a student’s ability to learn with less stress to maintain attention and be organized enough to meet expectations within the classroom. This collaborative approach is best practice in the schools and we will be working together to create realistic training plans to take back to your school teams and begin your own awareness-building activities to educate them on the importance of communication skills for all students across grade levels.
I am passionate and excited about building successful education teams that address the higher challenging curricular demands in the world of education. I look forward to collaborating with you!
MariBeth Plankers, M.S. CCC-SLP
P.S. As a practicing speech-language pathologist, I know just how valuable your time is during the workday. My focus will be on sharing practical strategies that you can put to immediate use in your school(s)!
Who Should Attend
Preschool-Grade 12 School-Based Speech-Language Pathologists who train and provide staff development to SLP/SLPA Teams, Special Education Staff, Classroom Teachers, Reading Specialists, and UDL/RTI Teams working with students in preschool-grade 12 classrooms.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this two-day institute. The handbook includes:
- Dynamic intervention ideas to implement with students, including how to use fun, interactive learning activities to address students’ communication challenges
- Reproducible and electronic forms to identify practical strategies for students who struggle with engagement and participation
- Hands-on, practical problem-solving tools to identify what impedes students from completing their classroom work
- Extensive lists of resources for evidence-based searches, activities to match learner preferences, and much more!
Meet and Share
This institute provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in current strategies to help their struggling readers become more proficient readers.
MariBeth Plankers will be available throughout the two-day institute for consultation regarding your questions about the unique needs of your own SLP program.
ASHA - CEUs
This course is offered for 1.0 ASHA CEUs per day (Intermediate level, Professional area).
Semester Credit Option
Graduate level professional development credit is available with an additional fee and completion of a follow-up practicum project. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at the seminar.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.