This event will now be presented as a live interactive online event.
Presented by Glenn Wiebe
Specifically Designed for History/Social Studies Teachers Working with Students in Grades 6-12, Social Studies Coordinators and Administrators
- 101 highly effective, research-based strategies, activities and resources to strengthen student learning in your social studies classroom
- Practical lessons, examples and tools designed to amplify your instruction, spark curiosity and increase student application of new content – no matter which social studies courses you teach
- Make best use of Google Classroom and free Google Tools to enhance social studies instruction
- Hands-on activities that generate high-level student engagement across social studies content and grade levels 6-12
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this NEW, powerful seminar designed specifically for social studies teachers, experienced social studies teacher and outstanding presenter, Glenn Wiebe, will share 101 new and innovative tools, techniques and resources for making your social studies classes the motivating, engaging learning environment students will look forward to every day – regardless of their abilities and interests. Glenn will share practical, creative, classroom-ready strategies, activities and resources that will get your students more actively involved, strengthen their motivation and significantly deepen their understanding of social studies content.
You’ll leave with dozens of ready-to-use ideas that can be integrated the very next day in your own classroom – no matter what social studies content you teach. These strategies can easily be differentiated or scaffolded to meet the needs of your diverse learners.
You’ll leave this seminar equipped with new and innovative techniques to help your students better connect to the real world, proven ways to make better use of the technology tools they need and practical ways to develop the critical thinking and problem solving strategies required for success once they leave your class.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- 101 of the Best Strategies to Greatly Enhance Your Social Studies Program
Discover the best strategies, lessons, activities, and resources designed specifically to strengthen your grades 6-12 social studies program … Receive a wealth of outstanding, practical ideas and techniques you can use the very next day – no matter what social studies content you teach
- Design Every Social Studies Lesson You Teach for Student Success
Learn a proven framework for designing highly effective social studies lessons
- Establish an Academic Culture that Supports the Critical Use of Primary Sources and Other Pieces of Evidence
Uncover effective methods for increasing students’ ability to collect, organize and analyze evidence needed to solve problems … Expand their ability to sift and select evidence from multiple sites and sources
- Make Best Use of Google Classroom and Free Google Tools to Enhance Social Studies Instruction
Learn hands-on methods for enhancing your content, instruction and student learning through a variety of free Google Tools … Magnify the work you do and free up valuable time by incorporating Drive, Classroom, My Maps, Keep, and other Google Tools
- Strengthen the Skills Your Students Need to Recognize and Avoid Fake News
Learn practical tools and strategies for helping students develop highly effective online literacy skills … Challenge students to critically evaluate online resources
- Create a Passion for “Doing” Social Studies and Solving Problems
Social studies is so much more than dates and places … Use the research-based inquiry model to generate student excitement around the process of uncovering history
- Develop Powerful Reading, Writing and Communicating Skills in Your Students
Explore unique and practical strategies to ensure your social studies students develop the skills needed to succeed when they step out of your classroom … Leave with ready-to-use note-taking, summarizing, research, and writing activities and tools
- Connect Your Social Studies Classroom to the Real World
Discover effective ways to inject relevant experiences that link contemporary issues to your social studies content … Learn proven strategies to help students make connections through inquiries and discoveries
- Break Away from Traditional Assessments and Discover Problem and Passion-Based Learning
Think about assessments in a new way and discover innovative strategies that work, no matter what content you teach … Develop motivating new ways to encourage and engage your students through the use of real-world, authentic problems
- Receive an Extensive Social Studies Resource Handbook
You will walk away with a comprehensive resource handbook packed with 101 outstanding strategies, activities and resources designed to greatly enhance your grades 6-12 social studies program
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- 101 of the best highly engaging, easy-to-implement strategies, activities and resources to strengthen your social studies program
- A powerful framework for creating and organizing social studies lesson plans and unit designs
- “Crop it” and “window frame” techniques for unlocking the power of primary sources
- Textual and visual discrepant event inquiry activities that build students’ questioning abilities
- Innovative techniques for using board and video games to deliver social studies content and provide formative assessment data
- Dynamic discussion‐leading strategies that help students better articulate their positions and connect learning to their lives
- Innovative ideas and activities for integrating literacy skills that will strengthen the reading, writing and communication skills students need in social studies
- High-interest, high-impact strategies that build students’ historical thinking skills
- Engaging writing prompts that hook students and lead to improved communication skills
- Proven media-based questions guaranteed to develop evidence analysis expertise
- Timesaving tips and tricks using free Google resources to enhance your students’ learning
- Ways to use inquiry-driven instruction to design more immersive and connected social studies content units
- Specific ways to use problem and passion-based learning effectively in a variety of social studies content areas
- Multiple ways to engage your students through interactive project design and technology
- Stimulating tech integration lessons designed to strengthen student communication and collaboration
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
The traditional social studies lessons and strategies that we’ve used for years need a 21st Century update. Our students are entering a vastly different political, social and economic environment than even ten years ago. They are asking for and require a different set of skills to be successful in today’s local, state, national, and global communities. All of these changes make our task as a social studies teachers more important than ever.
My goal is to share 101 of the best classroom-tested strategies, tools and resources that you can use immediately to enhance your teaching and increase student learning. All 101 are classroom-tested and ready-to-use with your own students. In this seminar, I will share the best of what I’ve found to be successful.
I designed this seminar expressly with the needs of both you and your students in mind. This is not a sit and get day – you’ll be evaluating strategies, gathering ideas and working with others to solve problems. It will be a practical, hands-on learning experience specifically designed to improve social studies instruction and assessment so that your students walk out of your classroom smarter and better prepared than when they walked in.
What you do every day is too important to leave to chance, so I’ll make sure you leave with the best and most effective ideas that I’ve found! I’m looking forward to learning together with you as we work to prepare your learners for their futures.
P.S. Come ready to learn, share and engage during this fast-paced learning day full of outstanding strategies you can use immediately!
Who Should Attend
History/Social Studies Teachers Working with Students in Grades 6-12, Social Studies Coordinators and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Social Studies Instruction Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive social studies instruction resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Highly engaging instructional techniques, practical activities, and motivating games designed specifically for social studies classes
- Unique Evidence Analysis Window Frame activity
- Technology tools that will enhance your social studies instruction
- Strategies to successfully build students’ literacy skills
- Links, descriptions and walkthroughs of the best websites for teaching social studies
Meet and Share with other Social Studies Teachers
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in strengthening their social studies program.
Glenn Wiebe will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own social studies program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four Graduate level professional development credit are available with an additional fee and completion of follow up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.