This event will now be presented as a live interactive online event.
Presented by Robert Gerver
Specifically Designed for All Middle and High School Mathematics Teachers, Math Interventionists, Resource Specialists, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Instructional Aides, and Administrators
- The best, most powerful classroom tested strategies designed to increase struggling students' math success – no matter what grades 6-12 math courses you teach
- Effective ways you can increase struggling students' confidence, perseverance and skills in mathematics
- Set the stage for struggling students to succeed in your class, and explore proven ways to increase students' interest, motivation and achievement in math
- Receive an extensive resource handbook filled with effective teaching strategies, activities, projects, and classroom practices designed to help struggling grades 6-12 math students
You are encouraged to bring your own scientific or graphic calculator. It is not, however, a requirement to attend the seminar.
Practical Ideas and Strategies
"I know it when you do it, but…" How many times have mathematics teachers heard this cry from our struggling students? The real translation of this statement is, "I do not know this concept." Raising the ability and confidence level of our struggling students is no easy task, yet it can be accomplished using specific, proven strategies and approaches. In this seminar, Robert Gerver, an experienced and outstanding secondary math teacher, will powerfully enhance your effectiveness in working with your struggling grades 6-12 math students – no matter what courses you teach.
Robert will share dozens of strategies and activities that have proven successful over the years in his own math classroom to engage struggling students, improve their skills and raise their self-confidence in mathematics. The emphasis will be on sharing practical strategies and ideas you can immediately implement or easily adapt into your program. Many of these strategies also have the benefit of helping all your math students, not just those who struggle.
Join Robert for a dynamic, engaging, enlightening, and fun day of learning powerful, proven ways you can help your struggling math students succeed in and even enjoy mathematics!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Support the Success of Your Struggling Grades 6-12 Math Students
Discover the best, most powerful, classroom-proven ways to help struggling students be more successful in learning math … Outstanding practical strategies specifically designed for grades 6-12 math teachers – no matter what courses you teach
- Strengthen Skills Through Frequent Feedback
Explore powerful ways to use frequent feedback to build your struggling students' mathematics skills … Discover ways you can help keep concepts fresh
- Set the Stage for Struggling Students to Succeed in Your Class
Explore numerous ways you can help struggling students begin class each day in a productive, purposeful mindset … Learn innovative ways to monitor student skills, avoid typical pitfalls and maximize your struggling students' success
- Enhance Struggling Students' Participation and Focus in Class
Learn classroom-tested strategies that help struggling students stay on task during class lessons … Discover innovative ways you can raise the bar for student accountability
- Increase Struggling Students' Interest, Motivation and Achievement
Discover ways you can make mathematics more relevant for your struggling students … Engage students with problems and strategies that fascinate and defy intuition
- Use a Hands-On Modeling Approach to Increase Student Understanding
Discover powerful ways you can help your struggling students increase mathematical understanding through hands-on modeling … Help students more deeply grasp arithmetic, algebraic, geometric, and many other key concepts
- Build Your Struggling Students' Confidence in Mathematics
Explore proven ways you can help struggling students experience success in mathematics … Discover ways to help students abandon their low expectations of themselves in math class and instead develop a healthy self-confidence
- Help Your Struggling Students Persevere
Learn practical and effective approaches designed to help your struggling students practice "reading" mathematics and "fending for themselves" … Equip your struggling students to teach themselves new concepts
- Conquer Your Struggling Students' Aversions to Written Explanations
Discover highly effective activities and strategies designed to improve verbal mathematical explanations of multi-step problems … Learn dozens of strategies that help struggling students express their thoughts orally and in writing
- Receive an Extensive Struggling Math Students Resource Handbook
You will receive a comprehensive resource handbook specifically designed for supporting struggling grades 6-12 math students and filled with strategies and activities that you can implement or adapt immediately … Plus, you will receive access to an electronic version in Word that you can customize to meet your needs
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The best, most powerful, classroom-tested approaches you can use to help your struggling grades 6-12 students be more successful in learning math – no matter what math courses you teach
- Help struggling students "fend for themselves" when they meet new terms and concepts
- Learn innovative writing strategies that perfectly align with all eight Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice to help struggling math students
- Effective, time efficient ways to monitor students closely so they don't fall behind
- Ways to analyze where students struggle on a frequent basis, provide optimal feedback and improve skills
- Help your struggling students greatly improve their mathematical writing and explanations
- Ways to increase struggling students' engagement and focus during teacher-directed class lessons
- How to build a positive, proactive environment that increases struggling students' confidence and success
- How to weave fascinating problems with surprising results that defy intuition into your daily lessons
- Effective ways to break down key concepts into small, gradual steps and to elicit well developed explanations from students to ensure they "get it"
- Strategies to help you ensure entry conditions are met for subsequent skills
- Ways to extend student understanding of each new concept by "raising the bar" after they succeed
- Motivating problem scenarios to engage your struggling students
- Powerful ways to enable struggling students to "teach themselves" new concepts
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As a veteran secondary math teacher, I have had students of very different ability levels within every one of my classes, no matter what course I taught. I have seen many students who were disenfranchised with mathematics and struggling to relate to and succeed in math. Early in my career, I resolved to reclaim these students and help them build confidence, stronger skills and increased appreciation for mathematics.
My passion for helping struggling math students morphed into a personal challenge. I worked overtime trying to create engaging curricula, strategies and activities that could help struggling math students to succeed. I relished the challenge of coming up with ways to enhance my class for struggling students, and as it turned out, many of the strategies that helped them succeed had the dual benefit of helping everyone in the class to improve!
As a frequent speaker at math conferences for many years, I have also met countless teachers who employed these same strategies in their own classrooms and came back to my sessions excitedly in subsequent years to tell me about their successes.
It is my pleasure to share these powerful ideas and approaches with you for supporting the success of your struggling grades 6-12 math students. I am excited about the potential these strategies have to greatly enhance your students' experience, enjoyment and success in math.
P.S. Your struggling students have much to gain by your presence at this seminar! I look forward to meeting you.
Who Should Attend
All Middle and High School Mathematics Teachers, Math Interventionists, Resource Specialists, Title I Staff, Special Education Staff, Instructional Aides, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Struggling Math Students Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Ready-to-use, classroom-proven activities and strategies for helping your struggling students
- Comprehensive samples of effective period-opening activities that foster a productive and purposeful start to every class session
- Innovative, field-tested writing strategies for improving student note taking and focus in class
- Dozens of purposeful, fun activities designed to engage students and help them gain an appreciation for mathematics
- Alternative course options for struggling middle and high school students
- Productive, worthwhile extra credit options for struggling students to help them improve and succeed
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in practical, classroom-tested strategies to help their grades 6-12 students who struggle in math.
Robert Gerver will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own math program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four Graduate level professional development credit are available with an additional fee and completion of follow up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.
Can't Make it?
Related PD Resources
On Demand Video-Based Online Learning
BER offers educators a wide range of online courses that are affordable, fun,
fast, and convenient.
See the catalog of available courses