Increasing Your Students’ Mastery of Math Facts and Mental Math Skills
Presented by Sherri Adler
Designed for Grades 1-5: Classroom Teachers, Math Specialists, Interventionists, Resource Specialists, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Math Coaches, and Administrators
- Numerous, practical strategies and lessons for developing students’ mastery of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts
- Increase your students’ fluency with math facts and strengthen their mental math ability
- Timesavers, shortcuts and proven strategies to differentiate your math instruction to meet the diverse needs of your students
- A wealth of practical and creative 1-5 math activities and resources that are easy to implement
- An extensive resource handbook filled with ideas, lessons and student samples you can use in your own 1-5 classroom
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Are you looking for ways to help increase your students’ efficiency and accuracy with math facts? Do you want your students to more successfully compute addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division math facts with speed and accuracy? Would you like to increase your students’ number sense by strengthening their mental math abilities? This outstanding seminar has been designed for 1-5 teachers who want innovative, classroom-tested ideas and activities that enhance students’ proficiency with math facts and mental math.
Sherri Adler will provide you with a wealth of practical strategies and hands-on lessons to teach math facts and strategies to students in grades 1-5. While the focus will be on increasing students’ mastery of math facts, other areas that will be addressed include increasing students’ number sense and problem-solving skills by strengthening their mental math abilities. You will leave this exciting, fast-paced seminar with dozens of practical strategies and ideas to help your 1-5 students feel good about mathematics and demonstrate proficiency-mastering math facts.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Increase Your Students’ Proficiency with Math Facts
Numerous, practical strategies specifically designed for grades 1-5 … Build mathematical understanding and help students compute addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts with speed and accuracy
- Use Innovative Ideas to Introduce and Reinforce the Teaching of Mathematics
Classroom-tested lessons for whole class and small group math instruction all designed specifically for grades 1-5 … Dozens of ready-to-use lessons
- Unlock the Power of Mental Math
When students understand how to manipulate numbers mentally, they can solve math problems with more confidence and accuracy … Learn how to build mental math skills that pay big dividends
- Help Your Students Communicate Their Mathematical Thinking
Develop simple writing activities that extend thinking, deepen understanding, enhance mathematical communication, and increase students’ understanding and development of conceptual thinking
- Design Lessons for a Variety of Math Abilities in Your 1-5 Classrooms
Use lessons that provide opportunities to develop strategies for students of varying abilities … Strengthen the computation and math reasoning skills of all your students including those who struggle with basic math facts
- Engage Your Students in Activities that Develop Number Sense
Go beyond rote memorization of facts … Learn ways to build your students’ understanding of math concepts and increase their success in thinking mathematically
- Provide Ample Practice to Prepare Students for More Advanced Mathematical Concepts
Use a variety of developmentally appropriate strategies to increase your students’ understanding of our number system … Take home numerous ideas for providing practice for your students to increase their math skills, as your students’ math sense and understanding increases, so will their computational skills
- Achieve Greater Success with All Students
Return to your classroom with a wealth of ideas to strengthen ALL your students’ math facts, knowledge and mental math skills
- Address the Most Common Computing Mistakes
Help students understand the most common errors made while making computations … Discover how to teach your students to detect possible pitfalls and potential errors before they turn in their work
- Receive an Extensive Resource Handbook Designed Specifically for Grades 1-5
Included in the handbook are dozens of practical math lessons and activities for students in grades 1-5 … You can immediately implement these outstanding ideas in your own classroom
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Dozens of hands-on lessons you can use to strengthen your 1-5 students’ understanding and use of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts
- Discover the 3 stages students need to master their math facts and how to teach these 3 stages in grades 1-5
- Innovative ways to increase your students’ ability to write about their mathematical thinking
- Developmentally appropriate strategies for students in grades 1-5 that will increase their computational skills
- Creative, fun ways to increase the mental math skills of your 1-5 students
- How to increase your 1-5 students’ understanding of our number system
- Many practical techniques that strengthen the use and understanding of math language and skills
- Effective ways to go beyond rote memorization and increase your students’ number sense
- Creative ideas for whole class and small group activities
- Numerous ways to create a math-rich environment
- Discover highly effective alternative assessments to timed tests for fact fluency
- Simple ideas that parents can use at home to help their children learn their math facts
- Practical ways of assessing your students’ understanding of math concepts through their mathematical thinking
- Techniques to make math more meaningful by using math language and vocabulary every day
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Development and understanding of number sense is vital in a student’s understanding and learning of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division math facts. Students need strategies that allow them to learn these facts and how to transfer these skills to more and more complex mathematical problems. How can teachers use appropriate techniques in their classrooms to help students master math facts? What academic activities will most benefit students? What alternatives are there to timed math tests? During our day together, I will provide you with a variety of strategies so your students CAN master math facts, as well as develop strong number sense by increasing their mental math abilities.
I am very excited to share with you classroom-tested ideas that you will be able to adapt into your 1-5 classroom and into your current math program. Throughout the day, we will learn how to engage students in many independent, partner, small group, and whole group activities/lessons designed for mastering addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division math facts. In addition, ideas and suggestions for assessment will be provided. I will share with you many hands-on activities that will easily become part of daily math instruction. Activities and academic games that your students will beg you to do with them!
Just some of the ideas to be presented include:
- Practical and creative activities that are easy to implement in any 1-5 classroom
- Developmentally appropriate techniques to strengthen student learning of math facts
- Numerous strategies that are designed to increase your students’ accuracy and proficiency with math facts
- Fun, motivating ways to increase your students’ mental math abilities
Please join me for a day of fun-filled, practical ideas and suggestions that will enhance your 1-5 students’ math skills!
Hope to see you soon!
P.S. ”... I will provide you with a variety of strategies so your students CAN master their math facts ...”
Who Should Attend
Grades 1-5 Classroom Teachers, Math Specialists, Interventionists, Resource Specialists, Special Education Staff, Title I Staff, Math Coaches, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Easy-to-implement ideas for teaching math facts in grades 1-5
- Ready-to-use activities and handouts that are developmentally appropriate for grades 1-5
- Alternative assessment ideas to timed math tests
- Practical strategies to increase student involvement, interest and achievement in math
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in increasing their 1-5 students ’ mastery of math facts and mental math skills.
Sherri Adler will be available during the seminar to answer individual questions and discuss the unique needs of your math program.
Semester Credit Option
Graduate level professional development credit is available with an additional fee and completion of a follow-up practicum project. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at the seminar.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.
Can't Make it?
Related PD Resources
On Demand Video-Based Online Learning
PD Resource Kits