This event will now be presented as a live interactive online event.
Presented by Elizabeth Mirra
Specifically Designed for Educators Who Teach Science in Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Science Specialists, and Administrators
- Highly engaging techniques and tools to more effectively incorporate the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) into your science instruction
- Powerful strategies to increase student engagement and learning of the NGSS core ideas
- Gain proven, effective tips and tools that will challenge your students with problem solving and inquiry-based learning
- Receive an extensive science resource handbook filled with dozens of valuable strategies and tips to help your students master the NGSS
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this highly engaging, interactive seminar, you will learn a wealth of effective ways to help your students master the rigorous science and engineering practices, disciplinary core ideas and crosscutting concepts incorporated in the Next Generation Science Standards. Beginning with developing a deeper understanding of the ambitious vision of the new standards, you will discover clear pathways for blending the NGSS into your current science instruction.
Throughout the day, Elizabeth Mirra, an experienced, award-winning secondary science teacher, will show you how to integrate the three dimensions of the NGSS into engaging instructional sequences that will motivate students and maximize their learning of the new standards. You will receive a wealth of innovative ideas for including engineering, reading, writing, and math in your science instruction that will enhance your students’ ability to master the essential skills and concepts included in the NGSS.
During this fast-paced seminar, the emphasis will be placed on practical strategies to incorporate the new science standards in your instruction in ways that fully involve students and increase their enthusiasm for learning. Come and discover the best, new ways to foster continuous improvement in your students’ mastery of the new NGSS—and see the significant difference it will make in their achievement in science!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- More Effectively Implement the Next Generation Science Standards in Your Science Classroom
Learn from an enthusiastic secondary science educator and national presenter about the essential steps to integrate the new standards’ rigorous three dimensions into your current curriculum and instruction
- Make Your Science Classroom More Student Centered
Learn a variety of outstanding techniques to fully focus your students on learning the key concepts and skills of the Next Generation Science Standards and how to provide multiple opportunities for students to practice and master these skills
- Increase Student Motivation in Learning the Next Generation Science Standards
Discover proven ways to actively engage students in dozens of highly motivating activities designed to engage all types of learners
- Discover the REAL Meaning of Modeling in the Next Generation Science Standards
Explore modeling as a powerful tool for unlocking student thinking and monitoring conceptual change
- Engage Your Students in Activities that Support Collaboration and Argumentation
Learn to enhance student achievement through proven strategies that promote sense-making, collaboration and argumentation
- Boost Student Inquiry and Research Skills
Discover ways to foster inquiry-based learning to make science come alive … Help students develop the critical thinking and problem-solving skills emphasized in the NGSS
- Significantly Improve Student Learning and Retention of Challenging Science Concepts
Unlock the power of the science and engineering practices and crosscutting concepts to enable your students to succeed with consistently impressive results
- Utilize Innovative Methods to Seamlessly Integrate Science and Engineering
Use proven techniques for incorporating engineering into your science instruction and improve student engagement and achievement
- Expand and Energize Your Methods to Incorporate Reading, Writing and Math into Your Science Classrooms
Learn how to use reading, writing and math to enhance student understanding of scientific phenomena and address your state standards
- Receive an Extensive Science Resource Handbook Focused on Learning the Next Generation Science Standards
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with practical ideas, tips and tools for helping your grades 6-12 science students master the NGSS skills and concepts
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- A clear understanding of what is encompassed in the Next Generation Science Standards
- Practical techniques to more effectively incorporate the NGSS into your own secondary science classroom
- Powerful strategies to focus student learning on the core skills and concepts of the NGSS
- Proven ways to significantly increase student motivation in learning science
- Innovative ways to ensure that students consistently retain and build on the core ideas of the new standards
- Practical examples of how to develop instructional strategies that help students develop the critical thinking and problem-solving skills necessary for engineering
- Strengthen student understanding of complex science phenomena using the crosscutting concepts
- Proven methods to immerse students in real-world science scenarios to increase motivation and learning and incorporate the science and engineering practices
- How to provide multiple opportunities for your students to practice and master the NGSS skills and concepts
- Practical ways to strengthen your science instruction using the science and engineering practice of modeling
- Specific methods to capture and retain students’ focus on learning science in ways that significantly boost achievement
- A multitude of useful and valuable ideas to encourage science inquiry through challenging learning experiences
- Innovative and formative assessment strategies to monitor students’ progress toward mastering the NGSS
- Easy-to-implement ways to create a more accessible learning environment for all students
- Step-by-step guides for developing instructional sequences aligned to the NGSS
- How to create more engaging instructional sequences that focus on exploring scientific phenomena and maximize student learning
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I look forward to welcoming you for a day that will be filled with a wealth of outstanding, practical take-right-back-to-your-classroom strategies you can use to significantly increase student motivation and achievement in your science classes. Specifically designed for science educators in grades 6-12, our day will focus on highly effective tools and techniques to successfully master the Next Generation Science Standards.
Starting with the vision of the new standards, I will share highly effective ways to seamlessly integrate the science and engineering practices, crosscutting concepts and disciplinary core ideas into effective and engaging instructional sequences. I will share innovative techniques for creating a dynamic, student-centered classroom where students collaborate to make sense of real-world scientific phenomena. Your classroom will become a more efficient and effective learning environment where critical thinking, hands-on science and project-based learning lead to increased student mastery of the NGSS.
I invite you to join me for this valuable experience that will inspire and motivate you to return to your classroom and immediately implement the resources and cutting-edge instructional techniques I will share at this seminar. To help support this experience, you will be provided with an extensive resource handbook that includes the resources shared during the seminar. I will respect your time by only sharing the best resources and strategies to help your students master the new standards. I look forward to meeting you at the seminar!
P.S. As an experienced secondary teacher, I understand the extra effort it takes to be out of the classroom. I promise you that our day together will be worth your time and that you will leave with dozens of ready-to-use, practical ideas and strategies you can implement immediately in your science classrooms.
Who Should Attend
Educators who teach science in Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Science Specialists, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
You’ll Receive an Extensive NGSS Resource Handbook
Each seminar participant will receive an extensive NGSS resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook is:
- Practical ideas for helping your students meet rigorous science content and practice standards, including those aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards
- Powerful strategies to increase student engagement and retention of core ideas from the new standards
- Innovative ideas for integrating the science and engineering practices and crosscutting concepts into your science instruction
- Proven step-by-step techniques for planning engaging instructional sequences aligned to the NGSS
- Outstanding ideas for incorporating engineering into your science instruction
- Creative ways to integrate reading, writing and math into your science instruction
Meet and Share with Other Science Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for educators to meet and share ideas with other secondary science educators interested in helping students master the NGSS.
Elizabeth Mirra will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own science programs.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four Graduate level professional development credit are available with an additional fee and completion of follow up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at this BER program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.
Can't Make it?
Related PD Resources
On Demand Video-Based Online Learning