Develop Growth Mindset in Mathematics to Increase Students' Perseverance, Engagement and Success in Your Math Classroom (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Beatrice Moore
Specifically Designed for Educators Teaching Math in Grades 6–12: Classroom Teachers, Math Specialists, Math Coaches, Special Education Staff, Math Curriculum Leaders, and Administrators
- The best, most current classroom-proven strategies to increase students’ interest and engagement in math
- Empower grades 6-12 students to adopt a positive Growth Mindset in math
- Discover firsthand the powerful connection between your students’ struggles and their path to developing perseverance and sense-making in mathematics
- Receive an extensive Growth Mindset digital handbook, filled with practical ideas, strategies and activities designed specifically to support busy educators and their students
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Are you frustrated with the fixed mindset of your grades 6-12 math students, which has built a barrier between their success and failure? Are your students actively engaged with and involved in pursuing mathematical problem-solving situations with persistence or frustration? Do your students consistently value and use the available resources in independent learning situations?
Join outstanding math teacher and national presenter BEATRICE MOORE for a day filled with practical strategies and solutions you can use immediately to address these persistent challenges we face as math educators. Help your grades 6-12 students drop a fixed mindset and adopt a Growth Mindset. Enable your students to experience success through productive struggle.
You will leave this seminar with a wealth of ideas for ensuring a math learning environment where accountability and responsibility for learning is truly shared between the teacher and the students – creating a true community of learners! Expand your toolkit of effective strategies designed to help your students meet high expectations in mathematics.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- What Every Grades 6-12 Educator Should Know About Increasing Students’ Perseverance, Engagement and Success in Math
Why is it that of all the STEM subjects, mathematics teachers struggle the most with authentic student interest? … Learn how to change this trend and help your students shift from a fixed mindset of frustration to a Growth Mindset of success whether you’re teaching in-classroom or online
- Help Your Students See Value and Relevance in Growth Mindset
Develop students’ appreciation of how perseverance, logical reasoning and mathematics concepts and skills are applicable in the world of work
- Capitalize on Mistakes and Questions to Unlock Student Potential
Discover how master math teachers capitalize on mistakes and questions … Practical ways you can harness these areas in your practice to increase students’ perseverance, engagement and success
- Foster Student Inquiry and Risk Taking
Infuse powerful techniques in your program to promote the sharing and exploration of different viewpoints and solution strategies … Increase students’ self-esteem and self-confidence in their mathematical capabilities
- Increase Perseverance in Your Math Students
Learn effective strategies, techniques and ideas to help students actively develop greater perseverance … Empower students to approach difficult problems with increased confidence, flexibility and grit
- Improve Student Retention of Key Mathematical Concepts
Receive a wealth of activities, approaches and strategies designed to help your students make significant gains in their math skill development
- Help Your Students Make Maximal Gains from Productive Struggle
Discover a wealth of strategies designed to engage your students in productive struggle and help them to reframe struggle as beneficial … Help students to use mistakes as learning opportunities and to use resources rather than overly relying on you
- Increase Your Students’ Engagement and Responsibility
Leverage Growth Mindset to increase engagement … Equip your students with powerful strategies to take more responsibility for their learning
- Maximize Your Students’ Independent Learning
Discover highly effective ways to promote student reflection, revision of thinking and justification of strategies and solutions … Create optimal conditions for students to get the most from assessment, intervention and feedback
- Receive an Extensive Growth Mindset Digital Resource Handbook
You will receive a digital resource handbook filled with strategies, techniques and activities specially designed to increase your students’ persistence, engagement and success in math
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical strategies to make a dramatic difference for your students who lack confidence in their ability to do math
- Teach students strategies to persevere and solve difficult problems presented to them
- How to help your students overcome a fixed mindset and develop a Growth Mindset in mathematics
- Practical techniques and ideas that will boost your students’ ability to become self-reliant and consistently use resources available to them
- Many motivating ways to incorporate “fun” into computation and problem-solving lessons
- Ways to use Growth Mindset principles to narrow the achievement gap in mathematics
- Strengthen mathematical reasoning skills in both abstract and concrete situations, as in deductive and inductive reasoning
- Effective strategies to ensure that learning is “deep” and goes beyond the simple ability to regurgitate information or to explain concepts at a surface level
- Work smarter, not harder – classroom-proven techniques that strengthen knowledge acquisition, comprehension and understanding in your math program
- Implications of the latest pedagogical research – innovative, practical strategies to accelerate knowledge acquisition of your math students
- Ideas for using multiple assessment options to promote thoughtful reflection and revision of thinking
- Ways to create engaging, authentic learning situations that enhance collaborative learning, social interaction and students’ willingness to persist with difficult problems
- Practical tips to maximize the time devoted to math instruction and learning
- How to optimize your classroom culture to promote a Growth Mindset in your students
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Do you want to create experiences where students confront problem solving situations and attempt to solve them without overly relying on you? Do you want to create anticipation and a feeling of suspense where students reflect and think before they begin attacking a problem? Is it important to you that your students value and respect how classmates solve the same problem in different ways? Do your students have a rich context for the problem at hand, and are they genuinely curious about its solution?
Just like you, I have personally faced these same dilemmas of how to build interest, productive struggle and ultimately foster positive Growth Mindset in my students’ daily educational experiences. Additionally, I understand the challenges of time management of busy mathematics educators and the challenges of organizing instruction to ensure ample time for students to puzzle, reason and build perseverance.
I have specifically designed this seminar to help you promote a Growth Mindset in your students, while also building their conceptual understanding and love of mathematics. I want to share with you the best ideas from my many years as a secondary mathematics teacher and coach. During this fast-paced seminar, you will be engaged in hands-on activities and experiences that you can immediately take back and implement the very next day. Specific math strategies, activities and resources will be shared and demonstrated.
Please join me as I share outstanding ways to implement Growth Mindset principles in order to maximize student learning, accountability and responsibility in your grades 6-12 mathematics program.
P.S. With practice, students become more comfortable with enduring the tension of productive struggle and working through it. Eventually, your students will experience the incredible personal satisfaction of solving a challenging problem and so will you!
Who Should Attend
Educators teaching math in grades 6–12: Classroom Teachers, Math Specialists, Math Coaches, Special Education Staff, Math Curriculum Leaders and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive Growth Mindset digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Use-tomorrow strategies that promote authentic student engagement, reflection, decision making, and justification in collaborative problem-solving experiences
- Ideas to support student success with problem solving so that productive struggle becomes an empowering learning experience
- Practical, student-centered lessons that incorporate Growth Mindset strategies
- Easy-to-use ideas for assessment, intervention and feedback to help you maximize your effectiveness and efficiency
- Goal setting techniques that promote a positive Growth Mindset and increase student responsibility and accountability for their own learning
- Classroom-ready notetaking strategies to support your students’ independent thinking
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in developing a Growth Mindset in their grades 6-12 math students.
Beatrice Moore will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own math program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.