Helping English Learners Exit Your ELL Program: Impactful Strategies to Accelerate Student Success (Grades K-8)
Presented by Rasheeda Hardy
Specifically Designed for Educators Working with English Learners (ELs) in Grades K-8: EL Teachers, Classroom Teachers Who Have EL Students, Interventionists, EL Paraprofessionals, Title I Staff, Instructional Coaches and Administrators
- Proven strategies to accelerate student success and help ELs “exit,” “reclassify” and move on from the English Learner designation – whether you are teaching at school or online
- Highly practical techniques and activities to prevent ELs from becoming “stuck” at intermediate levels of English proficiency … position your English Learners for success
- A wealth of strategies to enable ELs to become confident, engaged students who overcome language and literacy barriers
- Hands-on lessons, student examples and an extensive resource handbook packed with ready-to-use, creative ideas and materials perfect for grades K-8 ELs and students who have experienced “unfinished learning”
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Increasingly English Learners (ELs) are becoming Long-Term English Learners – those who have not attained English proficiency after seven years. This trend has become a national challenge! The question is: what can we as educators do about it?
In this information packed, fast-paced seminar, distinguished EL teacher and national presenter, RASHEEDA HARDY, will share a wealth of practical strategies designed to accelerate success and help ELs exit from your ELL program – whether you are teaching in-person or online. You will learn ways to facilitate rapid gains in the English language development of the students with whom you work, unlocking greater success across grade level content areas. If you are searching for new and innovative strategies to accelerate the language proficiency and academic skills of your ELs, this is a day you won’t want to miss! You will also receive an extensive resource handbook to support your success long after the seminar. You’ll leave with an expanded toolbox of highly effective strategies to help you accelerate the success of your English Learners.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Action Steps to Help English Learners “Exit” or “Reclassify” Out of Your ELL Program
Learn essential strategies designed to accelerate growth and help English Learners (ELs) no longer need English language services … Help ELs acquire the skills needed to demonstrate English language proficiency – whether teaching at school or online
- Unlock Success for Your English Learners (ELs)
Explore ways to close language and academic gaps in students’ learning … Discover proven ways to support the needs of ELs and unlock success across content areas … Support students that have experienced “unfinished learning” and accelerate new learning
- Rapidly Improve Language Acquisition and Academic Outcomes for ELs
Incorporate current practical and research-based techniques to reduce the amount of time students spend in your ELL program … Invigorate your lessons with language-rich strategies to strengthen language and literacy skills
- Significantly Increase ELs’ Reading and Writing Achievement
Learn innovative comprehension, communication and interactive strategies designed to boost reading and writing achievement for ELs … Supplement your lessons with brain-based creative activities that prevent and/or overcome language and academic gaps
- Incorporate the Key Elements of Effective ELL Programs in Your Instruction
Maximize gains for your English Learners by incorporating essentials of highly effective ELL programs in your own instruction … Strengthen ELs’ oral language, literacy and academic English development
- Utilize Powerful Strategies to Accelerate Literacy Skills
Combine language support strategies with fiction, non-fiction and multimedia to increase achievement … Help ELs advance more rapidly through every level of language acquisition in small, whole group and independent settings
- Increase Student Engagement and Skills for Tackling Complex Texts
Learn innovative ways to incorporate rich oral language development strategies into your content instruction … Help ELs see themselves as capable readers and writers, and facilitate success across content areas
- Use Data to Accelerate the Progress of Your ELs
Explore proven ways to collect and use data to significantly increase students’ language and academic gains … Discover quick and fun ideas to better target your instruction and help ELs take greater responsibility for their learning
- Learn How to Weave Culturally Responsive EL Instruction into Your Classroom and School
Leave with essential teaching skills for designing environments for inclusion that will empower your EL students … Discover proven ways to foster engagement with your English Learners’ families
- Receive an Extensive EL Instructional Handbook
As a participant, you will receive a resource handbook, specially designed for this seminar and packed with essential tools and strategies to help you facilitate rapid growth for your English Learners – whether you’re working in-person or online
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Discover how you can make a rapid difference for English Learners’ (ELs’) language development and academic achievement – whether you are teaching in-person or online
- Highly effective strategies and routines to decrease the amount of time students are in your ELL program
- Ways to ensure that ELs attain English proficiency and develop high levels of academic achievement in English
- Innovative strategies to enhance your instructional toolbox that facilitate rapid language growth and academic success for ELs
- Cutting edge, practical and research-based instructional approaches to better reach and teach ELs
- How to streamline, target and enhance your instruction by uncovering and responding to your ELs’ needs
- Powerful tools to help ELs make maximal language and content skills gains
- Engaging, fun routines and activities to help ELs take greater responsibility for their language and academic learning
- Essential elements of effective ELL programs that you can incorporate in your own instruction
- How to set the stage for success and support rich language and literacy development for ELs
- Ways to accelerate academic literacy and language learning by incorporating multiple sources from physical text to digital media
- Engaging, high-impact strategies to increase motivation and time on-task for ELs – whether you are teaching at school or online
- Strategies to address behavior challenges and truancy … How to motivate ELs to give their best in school
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Students classified as English Learners (ELs) account for nine percent of enrollment in grades K-12 in the U.S. But each year the number of Long-Term English Learners (students who have not been reclassified as English proficient after seven years) in middle and high schools grows at an alarming rate. This trend has quickly become a national challenge!
How can we best support our ELs and reverse the trend of Long-Term English Learners? How can we accelerate the success of ELs and help them to exit from our ELL programs more rapidly? In this seminar I want to provide you with practical information, strategies, tools and answers you can use immediately – whether you are teaching in-person or online. You will leave with ways to combat “unfinished learning” in your students and not allow your English Learners to fall through the cracks.
As an experienced EL teacher and Instructional Coach, I understand very well the challenges you face in helping your students attain English proficiency and develop high levels of academic achievement in English. I want to provide you with proven, successful and powerful practices designed to accelerate the language development and academic skills of your English Learners. These time-efficient tools and approaches are perfect for your ELs across all language proficiency levels.
Are you working hard and not seeing the results you want to? Join me to discover the answers to why schools are not meeting their desired outcomes with English Learners. Let me share what I have learned with you so that you can also experience the rewards of this kind of rapid progress. “Exiting” students from your ELL program because they have acquired the skills needed to demonstrate English language proficiency is the best kind of caseload reduction there is! You’ll leave this seminar feeling invigorated and equipped with a toolbox full of ideas, resources and strategies you can use immediately … an answer to feeling “burn out” and overwhelm. I look forward to meeting you at the seminar!
Partners in Learning,
P.S. Armed with an extensive resource handbook and dozens of use-tomorrow strategies, you will leave this seminar with a renewed desire to make a significant difference in the lives of your English Learners.
Who Should Attend
Educators Working with English Learners (ELs) in Grades K-8: EL Teachers, Classroom Teachers Who Have EL Students, Interventionists, EL Paraprofessionals, Title I Staff, Instructional Coaches and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- A wealth of strategies to enrich your instruction and help ELs develop language proficiency, improve academic skills and exit your ELL program – whether you’re working at school or online
- Ways to improve academic achievement and language development for ELs at all levels of language acquisition
- Innovative ideas and resources to add to your existing EL instructional toolbox
- Tools to increase ELs’ motivation and resilience within and beyond school
- Proven approaches that facilitate rapid growth in ELs’ language and academic skills
Rasheeda Hardy will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.
Related PD Resources
BER will be offering this event as a recorded event you can stream online at your convenience.
Order The Recorded Version of this Event Now