Innovative, Phenomena-Driven Strategies to Increase Student Engagement and Learning of the Next Generation Science Standards (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Vincent Mancuso
Specifically Designed for Educators who Teach Science in Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Science Specialists, and Administrators
- Discover classroom-tested and research-based strategies, lessons and techniques to successfully use rewarding phenomena-driven instruction that aligns with the NGSS
- Easy-to-implement strategies to strengthen scientific inquiry, academic discourse and collaboration
- Learn the most effective techniques and strategies to design, implement and deliver highly rewarding 3D learning experiences centered on phenomena
- Dozens of practical methods and strategies to effectively strengthen your existing science program as you align it to the NGSS using phenomena-driven inquiry
Practical Ideas and Strategies
We are in the midst of a shift in the way we deliver science instruction to our students and in the way our students experience and learn science. The spotlight, weight and emphasis on phenomena represents a revolutionary shift in the way science is delivered, experienced and learned. In this interactive seminar, you will learn how to develop and strengthen your instruction to meet this shift toward the NGSS. You will learn practical, motivating and proven techniques to boost student understanding and application of key science skills and concepts using phenomena-driven lessons.
Throughout the day, Vince Mancuso, an experienced secondary science teacher, will show you how to integrate the three dimensions of the NGSS into engaging instructional sequences that will motivate students and maximize their learning. You will receive a wealth of innovative ideas for incorporating phenomena into your daily lessons. During this fast-paced seminar, the emphasis will be placed on practical strategies to incorporate phenomena into your instruction in ways that fully involve students and increase their enthusiasm for learning.
Come and discover the best, new ways to facilitate students’ mastery of the new NGSS using phenomena and discrepant events and see the significant difference it will make in their achievement in science!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Powerful, Phenomena-Driven Lessons to Invigorate Your NGSS Classroom
Learn from an outstanding secondary science teacher and national presenter about how you can bring new life into your science program using phenomena-driven instruction … Practical strategies you can use immediately!
- Discover the Key Components for Incorporating Motivating Phenomena
You don’t have to start from scratch! See how you can take your current program, units and lessons and incorporate phenomena to help students make real-world connections
- Use Phenomena-Driven Instruction to Tap into Students’ Natural Curiosity
Experience science from the student perspective – how they experience, interpret and develop meaning through science and the world around them
- Learn to Design and Facilitate Practical, Phenomena-Driven 3D Lessons
Discover how to construct and facilitate rich learning experiences, launched by the power of curious and shocking discrepant event phenomena
- Learn Highly Effective Strategies to Incorporate Engaging Discourse and Argumentation
Powerful strategies to construct, integrate and facilitate meaningful collaboration, discussion and argumentation into your daily lessons
- Take Home NGSS-Aligned 3D Lessons You Can Use Immediately
Fully developed and field-tested, inquiry-based lessons that center around phenomena … Ready for you to use in your own science classroom
- Make Your Science Classroom More Student-Centered
Learn a variety of outstanding techniques to fully focus your students on learning the key concepts and skills of the Next Generation Science Standards and how to provide multiple opportunities for students to practice and master these skills
- Strengthen Your Students’ Collaboration Skills
Build a more collaborative learning environment … Help your students develop their teamwork skills to discover and learn science
- Maximize and Strengthen Inquiry-Based Practices
Learn the most effective inquiry-based practices and management strategies to develop a strong, student-centered classroom
- Receive an Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook filled with practical strategies, lessons, tips, and much more to help you use phenomena to meet the NGSS in your science classroom
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Dozens of ways to use phenomena to engage, excite and generate curiosity in your NGSS classroom
- Brand new discrepant events delivered in entirely unique ways never seen before
- Learn the skills to align your science curriculum with the NGSS goals and objectives focused on phenomena
- Maximize and strengthen your inquiry-based practices to develop a more student-centered, NGSS-aligned classroom
- Highly effective strategies to incorporate discourse and argumentation into your classroom
- Experience startling natural phenomena that can be immediately implemented in your instruction
- Discover discrepant event demonstrations you can use to focus on a particular science concept and across other content areas
- Dozens of concrete examples, methods and strategies to strengthen and reinforce your science instruction and align it with the NGSS
- Field-tested phenomena that can immediately be used to anchor science lessons
- How you can begin to use students’ wonder and curiosity for amazing natural phenomena in ways that contradict expectation
- Specific ideas and strategies to help you include and manage phenomena in your lessons
- Learn powerful student-centered strategies, inquiry-based practices, management tips and ideas, and how to develop, implement and assess 3D lessons
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
The Next Generation Science Standards brought sweeping changes to the traditional science instructional practices. One of the most significant changes put phenomena-driven learning as a key focus of educational strategy and practice. One central feature of the NGSS is the three-dimensional approach that guides students as they make sense of phenomena and learn key science skills and concepts. But without focused direction and resources, it can be overwhelming.
This dynamic and interactive one-day seminar is designed to guide and support you as you work to implement and align the phenomena-focused goals and objectives of the NGSS in your science instruction. Regardless of your level of knowledge and implementation of the NGSS, you will leave with new ideas and strategies that you will be able to immediately implement.
You will learn proven methods and strategies that I have researched and tested with my own students. I will give you tips, techniques and practical ideas that I know work with students. Representing the most current research and classroom-tested strategies, this highly informative seminar will give you the tools you need to strengthen your science instruction and increase students’ science achievement.
I hope you will join me for this valuable experience that will inspire and motivate you to return to your classroom and immediately implement the resources and cutting-edge instructional techniques I will share at this seminar. You will also leave with an extensive digital resource handbook that includes the resources shared during the seminar. I am incredibly excited to work with you!
P.S. I promise you that our day together will be worth your time and that you will leave with dozens of ready-to-use, practical ideas and strategies you can implement immediately in your science classroom.
Who Should Attend
Educators who teach science in Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Science Specialists, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Innovative resources ready for immediate use in your science classroom
- Practical ideas to help you develop and strengthen your curriculum toward the NGSS
- Powerful strategies to integrate and facilitate rich discourse and argumentation in your classroom
- Classroom-tested techniques to deliver the most rewarding learning outcomes for discrepant event demonstrations
- An in-depth guide to selecting the most rewarding discrepant event demonstrations
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their science program using phenomena-driven instruction.
Vince Mancuso will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own science program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.