Catching Up SECOND GRADE Students Who Have Fallen Behind
Presented by Kelly Harmon
Specifically Designed for Second Grade Teachers, Instructional Aides, Title I Staff, Instructional Coaches, and Administrators Who Work with Second Grade Students
- Effective and engaging intervention strategies to catch up your Second Graders who have fallen behind and to get your whole class off to a great start
- Instructional techniques and model lessons to rapidly close the achievement gap, provide differentiation, acceleration, and help students master key grade level academic skills
- Practical methods for assessing, managing and building your Second Graders' skills to prepare them for on-level instruction in all content areas
- Receive an extensive digital resource handbook full of strategies and resources to help you accelerate social, emotional, and academic rates of success for your Second Graders
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Do you have Second Graders struggling with gaps in learning? Are you seeking practical ways to catch up Second Graders who've fallen behind? If so, you won't want to miss this strategy-packed seminar by outstanding Second Grade teacher Kelly Harmon!
The focus of this seminar includes building an understanding of the social, emotional, and developmental foundations necessary for learning to "stick" while tailoring instruction to meet the needs of Second Grade students on a wide curve of skill levels. You will step away from this session with dozens of ideas for helping your students who have fallen behind, moving them back on track more quickly and effectively.
Join Kelly for a fast-paced day packed with practical, use-tomorrow, Second Grade-tested strategies! You will receive an extensive digital resource handbook packed with dozens of practical, easy-to-implement strategies and interventions while you network with fellow educators in a relaxed and responsive setting. Leave this session with renewed enthusiasm and a wealth of innovative ideas for supporting your Second Graders who've fallen behind.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Help Your Second Grade Students Who Have Fallen Behind to Catch Up
Discover new teaching tools to help your students who have fallen behind and accelerate the learning of all
- Shrink Your Second Grade Students' Gaps
Catch up your Second Grade students' skill development … Lessen the gaps through the implementation of developmentally age appropriate techniques
- Provide Social and Emotional Support for Second Grade Students
Incorporate practical strategies for supporting the social and emotional needs of Second Grade students who have suffered trauma, are anxious, or simply need a little more encouragement and understanding
- Use the Science of Learning Research More Effectively
Discover where and how the latest Science of Learning research support and enhances your reading program ... Learn better ways to assess and plan powerful micro- and macro-interventions in reading, writing, and math
- Employ Research-Based Learning Methods for Phonological Awareness, Phonics, and Reading Skills
Learn how to accelerate reading skills acquisition through proven, motivating and fun techniques … Enhance and advance the knowledge and skills of your Second Grade students as they blossom as readers
- Incorporate Key Strategies and Methods to Improve Math Skills
Target instruction and Tier 1 interventions using engaging and fun activities and strategies that reinforce foundational math skills necessary for learning at a Second Grade level
- Identify Gaps in Your Second Grade Students' Learning and What to Do About It
Explore effective, easy-to-use assessments to help you pinpoint gaps in your students' learning … Target your instruction to help your students accelerate beginning from where they are right now
- Keep Your Second Grade Students Engaged and Actively Participating
Explore practical strategies and teacher-friendly ideas to engage your Second Grade students and to get and keep them actively participating in your lessons and learning
- Make Thinking Visible to Enhance Second Grade Students' Academic Learning
Promote engagement, understanding, and independence by incorporating thinking routines
- Receive an Extensive Second Grade Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive a comprehensive Second Grade digital resource handbook full of ideas, strategies, lessons, and useful resources you can immediately use in your instruction
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Innovative, instructional strategies to catch up your Second Graders
- Ensure student engagement through strategies designed to increase voice and choice
- Ways to scaffold and differentiate your instruction to best meet the diverse needs of your Second Grade students
- Quick formative assessments that allow you to rapidly close the learning gap in your Second Grade classroom
- Specific direct instruction reading, writing and math strategies to catch up Second Grade students who have fallen behind
- Engaging, high interest and motivating thinking routines that accelerate the learning of all your Second Graders
- Immediately usable tools and strategies to help keep students engaged and ensure active participation in learning
- Hands-on learning activities that allow students to work at their appropriate level
- Creative ideas for differentiated teaching and learning accompanied by a growth mindset
- Maximize instruction by "knowing" students in order to provide opportunities aligned with developmental patterns typical of Second Grade students
- Implement student-teacher conferring to support students as they set attainable goals and work towards increased levels of achievement
- Employ social and emotional support
- Easily implemented ideas to help build relationships and trust leading to increased levels of confidence and achievement
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Thirty-one years ago, I started my career in an impoverished district. Faced with students who lacked language comprehension and background knowledge, I resolved to learn everything I could about how to reach and teach every child through creative, meaningful, and fun experiences that capture students' interests and curiosity. Now we know so much more about how the brain learns and how emotions impact learning.
As a teacher and instructional coach working with primary grade students, I have learned and refined dozens of innovative, research-based strategies and techniques for accelerating student learning. My goal for this day is to demonstrate the best-of-the-best of these exemplary activities and ideas with you.
During our day together, we will cover dozens of strategies, ideas and activities you can use to teach in ways that will make a significant difference for your Second Grade students.
- A wealth of highly effective, time-saving strategies for refining your learner-centered classroom
- Outstanding ideas, ready-to-use activities and a variety of resources for assessing and teaching in innovative ways across the curriculum
- Ideas for integrating learning and double-dipping to save time and deepen learning
I am truly excited to offer dozens of ideas, resources, tips and suggestions you can take back to your 2nd Graders and implement immediately. Please join me for a jam-packed day of creative, fun learning experiences that promise to increase all your students' achievement in second grade.
P.S. You will also receive the extensive digital resource handbook and access to my online resources I wrote specifically for this seminar that is filled with the ideas and strategies we will cover, along with other highly practical suggestions to explore on your own!
Who Should Attend
Second Grade Teachers, Instructional Aides, Title I Staff, Instructional Coaches, and Administrators Who Work with Second Grade Students
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies. The handbook includes:
- Specific tips, tools and procedures for closing the Second Grade learning gap
- A wealth of easy-to-implement resources to target students' differentiated needs and provide intention with teacher clarity
- Opportunities to focus on age-appropriate developmental milestones and thinking routines to maximize the effectiveness of teaching and learning
- Key strategies and methods aligned to reading and math instruction that reinforce foundational skills necessary for learning at a Second Grade level
- Easy-to-use assessments to help you pinpoint gaps and target instruction
- Multiple video clips designed to support the implementation of strategic instructional routines
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their Second Grade program.
Kelly Harmon will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
Semester Credit Option
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of follow-up practicum activities. Details for direct enrollment with University of Massachusetts Global, a nonprofit affiliate, will be available at this program.
Meet Inservice Requirements
Participants of both the Live Online Seminar and those completing the Recorded Version online can receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify five continuing education hours. State CEUs are available for both versions of the course. For specific details, visit www.ber.org/ceus.