Early intervention plays a vital role in helping primary-age struggling readers achieve reading competency. This PD Resource Kit focuses on practical, easy-to-implement intervention strategies for strengthening children’s understanding of what they are reading – all in the highly supportive context of small group instruction. Filmed in primary grade classrooms, teachers demonstrate strategies ideal for increasing the comprehension of struggling readers in any approach to reading instruction.
Viewers learn how to:
- hone in on specific learning needs and target interventions for maximum comprehension growth
- glean important information about students’ comprehension through one-on-one conversation techniques
- use time-efficient text introductions to give students a head start on comprehension
- coach students to greater understanding as they read by scaffolding them at the cutting edge of their learning
- expand students’ familiarity with a range of text structures and features to develop their overall skills as readers
- incorporate lessons with tangible objects to make higher-level comprehension skills more accessible for primary struggling readers
- engage students in beyond-the-text activities that stimulate their thinking and extend their comprehension as an integral part of small group intervention
This PD Resource Kit is available in two different formats:
- 1 or 3 year streaming video subcription options with digital resources
- DVD option with print resources
Watch an excerpt from this PD Resource Kit:
There are no reviews for this course at this time.