SIX TRAIT WRITING BEYOND THE BASICS:
Practical Strategies to Take the Six Traits and Mini Lessons to a NEW Level
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades K-2
- Go beyond the basics of Six Trait writing to maximize your K‑2 students’ writing skills
- Advanced strategies designed to further enhance your use of Six Traits and that align with the Common Core State Standards for writing in grades K‑2
- Extend and maximize your use of Six Trait rubrics to guide your instruction
- Easy‑to‑use lesson plans designed to guide you in developing and accelerating student writing that goes beyond the basics of Six Traits
- Multi‑level activities to meet the wide range of student abilities in your classroom
- Activities to help motivate students to generate more ideas, better organize their thoughts, develop their own voice, and strengthen sentence fluency and word choice
- Displays, demonstrations, student samples, and a comprehensive resource handbook filled with strategies, lessons, activities, and ideas designed to take the Six Traits and mini‑lessons to another level
Practical Ideas and Strategies
If you have started a Six Trait writing program and are ready to move beyond the basics to more advanced Six Trait strategies, this seminar is just for you. In this fast‑paced presentation, Angela Cameron will present a wealth of writing strategies and rubrics that will help you take your instruction to another level.
This NEW seminar provides a way to take what you already do with Six Traits and apply it in new and different ways to maximize your students’ writing skills. You will participate in many engaging and effective activities that will strengthen your students’ writing and align with the Common Core State Standards. The strategies and activities will provide differentiated instruction to help meet all your students’ needs – from the struggling, reluctant writer to the more proficient writer – they all have room for growth.
In addition, Angela will introduce wonderful children’s literature to serve as a model of good writing for students. You will leave this seminar with a wealth of new ideas you can use in your classroom the very next day to help your students achieve greater success and confidence in their writing.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Beyond the Basics of Six Traits: Enhance and Strengthen Your Current Six Trait Writing Program
Enhance your use of Six Traits with outstanding mini‑lessons and practical strategies to strengthen your students’ writing skills in grades K‑2 … Maximize the effectiveness of your current instruction using hands‑on lessons and activities that go beyond the basics
- Mini‑Lessons to Extend and Enhance Your Use of Six Traits
Take your writing instruction to the next level with innovative, fun lessons and activities you and your students will love … Ideas and strategies that will work with all levels of writers in your classroom – from the struggling to the more fluent
- Innovative Ideas for Expanding Your K‑2 Writing Program
Take your Six Trait model beyond the basics with a wealth of motivating strategies and lessons to facilitate the successful inclusion of numerous new activities and routines into your daily writing instruction
- Increase Your Students’ Confidence and Competence in K‑2 Writing
Help your students experience success as they acquire and apply strategies that good writers use … Discover fun and motivating lessons
- How to Use the Six Traits with theCommon Core State Standards for Writing
Enhance your current writing program with new strategies and activities to help students increase their skills and have greater success with the Common Core State Standards
- How to Better Use the Six Traits to Accelerate Your Struggling Writers’ Skills
Learn classroom‑proven ways to work with your most reluctant writers … Numerous activities to help struggling and English language learners be more successful
- Advanced Use of Six Trait Writing Rubrics
Grade‑level appropriate rubrics for evaluating student writing that will help you to determine the next lesson or skill you should teach with your whole class, small groups or individual students
- Powerful Activities to Utilize Quality Children’s Literature as a Model for Students
Use captivating literature as a model for developing the writing skills of all your students … Show students how their favorite authors develop their writing
- Use the Six Traits as a Meaningful and Valuable Instructional Tool
Easy ways to incorporate the Six Traits into your writing instruction without adding hours to your planning time … Student‑centered ideas that will make a real difference and maximize your teaching time
- Receive an Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive a comprehensive resource handbook developed specifically for this seminar filled with lessons, ideas and activities designed just for you and your K‑2 students
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Advanced, highly effective mini‑lessons to help your K‑2 students develop the key skills they need for success in writing
- Use writing rubrics in more productive ways to guide your instruction
- Specific ideas for meeting the Common Core State Standards for Writing
- Innovative and fun strategies to help students generate writing ideas
- How to use props as simple reminders for students to use the writing strategies you teach
- Effective ways to work with your “non‑writers”
- Daily routines you can use in your current program that will make a difference in student writing
- Activities to help students ‘focus’ their writing and stay on topic
- Easy‑to‑incorporate strategies to encourage strong word choice in writing
- Exciting activities to promote the use of “vivid” verbs
- Practical, realistic strategies to help your students actually edit their own writing
- Numerous practical, hands‑on strategies, ideas and demonstrations to take your Six Trait writing program beyond the basics
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Teaching writing is one of the most challenging, yet most rewarding tasks that a primary teacher faces. Throughout my years as a teacher, I have developed a passion for teaching writing to all students, from the non‑writer to the more fluent writer. It is so exciting to see students go from picture drawing to writing (or as I call it, “driting”) to producing complete and well‑thought‑out stories or reports. In what other subject area are we able to actually see such vast development in our students?
During our fast‑paced day together it is my goal that you too will be renewed and inspired about your Six Trait writing program. I will share beyond the basics classroom‑proven ideas, activities and mini‑lessons that will improve student writing in your classroom. By using these lessons as an integral part of your writing instruction, you will find that you are better able to build on students’ strengths and target their writing weaknesses to guide your instruction. Our activity‑packed day together will include:
- Taking the Six Traits beyond the basics to increase students’ skills
- Rubrics you can use to evaluate student strengths and weaknesses to guide instruction
- Wonderful children’s literature to be used as models for children
- Numerous classroom‑tested, teacher‑approved mini‑lessons for strengthening every child’s writing in your classroom
I look forward to meeting each of you at the seminar and sharing my passion for K‑2 writing.
P.S. If you want ready‑to‑use, practical strategies and activities guaranteed to take your Six Trait writing instruction to the next level and significantly increase your students’ writing skills, this seminar is for you!
Who Should Attend
Educators serving grades K‑2: Classroom Teachers, Special Education Teachers, Literacy Coaches, Title I Staff Members, Gifted Education Teachers, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive a strategy‑packed K‑2 writing resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes dozens of ideas and activities including:
- Age appropriate writing rubrics to help you assess student strengths and weaknesses
- Strategies and activities to meet the needs of ALL students in your classroom from the non‑writer to the advanced writer
- Extensive bibliography of children’s literature for teaching writing skills and strategies
- Numerous teacher‑friendly, classroom‑tested lesson plans for teaching writing
Meet and Share
This seminar provides an excellent opportunity to meet and share ideas with other grades K2 educators interested in improving students’ writing.
Angela will be available during the seminar to answer individual questions and discuss the unique needs of your own writing program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.